Just got the ultrasound results....

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Re: Just got the ultrasound results....

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Anything but Sue.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Suggested Names: Quetzalcoatl Kodiak, Achcauhtli Kodiak, Ngujhoumungo Kodiak, Steve Dore Kodiak, Ekenedilichukwu Kodiak (pronounced Eh-keh-neh-dee-leek-[click]-kwu), Cetewayo Kodiak (pronounced [click]-etewayo).

What you really want though is a Latin name.

Imagine Luke Cecil Kodiak. Does that man sound like a man who will conquer Asia?

Instead, LUCIUS MAN(L)IUS CÆCILIUS MAXIMUS CODIACUS. Imagine how proud you would be every time you scolded him with his full name.

Now that is a name.
(Gaius, Marcus, Publius, Quintus, Titus, Tiberius, Sextus, Aulus, Deci(m)us, Lucius, Gnaeus, Spurius, Manius, Servius, Appius, Numerius, and Vibius are the most common Roman Prænomina. But Caelus, Faustus, Flavius, Caeso, Mamercus, Mettius, Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Septi(mu)s, Octus, and Nonus are also possible.)
Last edited by Duckie on 2008-11-19 01:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

If you have an antecedent you (or your wife) wish to honor, you could give your son his name. This lets you avoid the frankly uninspiring names which are popular these days while having a very legitimate reason for doing so.

(Or just cherry-pick any name that sounds good off the family tree.)
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Congratulations - I wish you and your wife (especially your wife) an easy pregnancy.

btw, how about Barack ;-) ?

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Raesene wrote:Congratulations - I wish you and your wife (especially your wife) an easy pregnancy.

btw, how about Barack ;-) ?
I strongly disagree with this suggestion.

If you were to pick a presidential name, I would pick Schuyler (Sky-ler). Sounds smooth.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Even the mispronunciation, ʃu:ləɹ, sounds pretty cool
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I would suggest Llewellyn, primarily because the shortened version of it is the utterly badass Lau. However, it is a rather unconventional name which very few people would spell correctly and which no one you ever met would ever pronounce correctly. That first double L is actually supposed to be a noise fromt he back of the throat. :)

Marcus and Nathan are more traditional and considerably more solid names, which even come with built in nicknames. Jacob is also pretty good as well.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

You can't go wrong with "James".
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Give him something with less syllables than your last name or his first name will never be used in highschool.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Just remember that he might have to give his name to someone over the phone someday. It's nice to have a name where nobody ever has to ask twice.
It's bad enough when it's the surname and there's no choice. I have a friend who uses his mother's maiden name when ordering cabs or pizzas because it's easier than spelling out Eijdenberg.
My name is Michael. I was self-aggrandizing, not brown-nosing.
So we're on the same page then :D
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

If you don't name your kick Rock Slabmeat, you don't have a hair on your ass.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Ford Prefect wrote: Marcus and Nathan are more traditional and considerably more solid names, which even come with built in nicknames. Jacob is also pretty good as well.
Jacob is actually a favorite of both of ours, but there's already a couple Jacobs floating around the family plus my wife's best friend has a husband and son named Jacob. :( Last night I thought Garret might be good, but I'm still searching for the right one. Oh, the Mrs. squashed all hopes of a little Aragorn running around.

Edit: I actually suggested the name Barack last night, since it's a strong name and a well respected one at the moment. My wife was reticent, however. She wants to see how he does first as President so we don't have a son named after someone who royally screwed over the nation.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Alp Arslan, after the Seljuk Turk sultan
Romanus, after the Byzantine emperor who got defeated by Alp, but only after the nobles in the army deserted him because they were fuckers.
Constantine
Timur
Temujin
Kublai
Symeon
Gavrillo Princip

Also, congrats. My own boy is tons of fun, though it takes a few months for them to get beyond just sitting there, eating, and shitting. :D
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Beef Ironstag!
Splint Chestahir!
Rip Steakface!
Bold Bigflank!
Big McLargehuge!

or "Bob".
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
The Yosemite Bear

Mordred :twisted:
Nicollo (Nick)
CuCulain (hey it's a sond Irish name)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

No, no. You need a heavy, Germanic name to be taken seriously in this world. When I have a son, I intend to name him Friedrich Wilhelm (after the philosopher, not the Kaiser) Ingram. Other fine German names are Walther, Konrad, Matthias, etc.
Diocletian had the right idea.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Darth Wong wrote:Just remember that he might have to give his name to someone over the phone someday. It's nice to have a name where nobody ever has to ask twice.
I can't second this enough. The number of people that can fuck up "Jovi" and "Jovan" is stupendous.

Sure beats "Charles," though. You want a healthy blend of cool/unique and easy-to-communicate. It's a fine line.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Personally I'd avoid anything to exotic, a name like Tiberius may seem cool as an adult, but probably not so much in the 4th grade. Also try to avoid fad names, always having someone with the same name in your class can be a pain.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Akhlut wrote:Gavrillo Princip
Fortunately we are out of real archdukes to assassinate... ;-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

The Yosemite Bear

Waiting for Tevar to put her foot down on this. :mrgreen:

andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

MRDOD wrote:(Gaius, Marcus, Publius, Quintus, Titus, Tiberius, Sextus, Aulus, Deci(m)us, Lucius, Gnaeus, Spurius, Manius, Servius, Appius, Numerius, and Vibius are the most common Roman Prænomina. But Caelus, Faustus, Flavius, Caeso, Mamercus, Mettius, Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Septi(mu)s, Octus, and Nonus are also possible.)
I wonder why calling your son "fifth", "sixth" or "tenth" was more popular than "first" through "ninth"?
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

andrewgpaul wrote: I wonder why calling your son "fifth", "sixth" or "tenth" was more popular than "first" through "ninth"?
I believe it's because they were named after the birth month or the birth order, but later on Quintus, Sextus, and Decius/Decimus just sounded cooler than silly names like Nonus or the like.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

On a serious note, remember that you're naming a human being and not a new pet, and he's going to have his name yelled at him multiple times a day for his entire life. Also it sucks to have a name that everybody's always mispronouncing when they read it and misspelling it when they hear it.

Unless you have some sentimental value attached to a particular name (if I have a son, his name will be Jerry; this is non-negotiable) I'd say pick something simple and commonish like Jason or Peter or something that can be shortened into a common, simple nickname (I had a friend named Bradford who always went by Brad).
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Samuel. (and no, that's not my first name, or middle name, or the name of anyone in my family).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

MRDOD wrote:
andrewgpaul wrote: I wonder why calling your son "fifth", "sixth" or "tenth" was more popular than "first" through "ninth"?
I believe it's because they were named after the birth month or the birth order, but later on Quintus, Sextus, and Decius/Decimus just sounded cooler than silly names like Nonus or the like.
I thought it was a reference to Stardust. I didn't know those were actually used as names
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong