What Type of Fighter Are You?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Re: What Type of Fighter Are You?

Post by J »

I make cute puppy dog faces at the person to get him off balance while my husband sucker punches him from behind and takes him out.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I would run and evade as long as possible. If cornered and forced to fight, I would fight dirty.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Merely one among countless millions.

Remember when fighting that objects in the environment exist and that improvised weaponry is better than your bare hands. That is what I'd use.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

haard wrote:
Teebs wrote: Assuming I couldn't talk my way out of a fight, or run without having to fight, my chosen tactic would be to hit first once or twice and then run. Probably in mid sentence, once I'd decided that I wouldn't be able to avoid fighting, so "come I don't want any trou *bang* *runs*".
As much as I agree with this in principle, it's really fucking hard determining when you've done 'enough' damage to turn your back, more so when adrenaline runs high.
Nonsense. When they fall over and hit the ground screaming you've done enough damage.

More to the point, I have, unfortunately, been in serious, real fights. My strategy is always the same: hit them as hard as I can and run like hell. It worked all but one time, when my assailant first clubbed me from behind several times, and then some of said assailant's cohorts prevented me from running away. That sucked, but honestly I don't really remember much about it and the concussion sort of did a number on my memory around that particular event although Mingo's wife was a witness and remembers more about the details than I do.

I'm not a particularly large or strong person, and in fact people probably aren't expecting me to fight. Regardless, a sudden, no-holds-barred burst of violence, even from a small female, can be sufficient to buy enough time to flee. Key concept here is no holds barred - when it comes to self-defense I can be completely and utterly ruthless. You have to hurt the Bad Guy and hurt that person as much as you can as quickly as you can. Then, when they go down, you run like hell.

If you can deploy or find a weapon, fine, but even an unarmed human being can be quite dangerous.

Oh, and I fight dirty. Very very dirty. None of this "honorable" bullshit. If we've gotten to the point where we have physical violence I'm fighting to WIN.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Plan A: Run.
Plan B (If he can catch up to me): Kick him in the junk and run.
Plan C (If I can't do A or B for whatever reason): Fetal position.
Plan D (If for some reason I'm fighting a girl): Cop a feel and then get into the fetal position or do A or B if possible.

And yes I am in fact proud of that plan.
Get some
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

In the event that my Run Fu is weak and fails me, I would like to think that I'd fight cheap and dirty to make up for the no doubt substantial size difference between me and my assailant(s).
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

If I was seriously threatened in a life or death situation (which most threats would be for me), I'd throw myself at the person with all of the force and intensity I could, instantaneously, and then start pummeling until one of us was dead or I was dragged away. Mind you this has actually happened once before (I was obviously given a chance to safely stop), so I know this is what I'd actually do. Of course, I'm high strung and a bit of a paranoiac to the point of having difficulty going to sleep at night and waking up at the slightest noise, like Amy flushing the toilet. So I certainly don't believe I'm anything but bizarre and atypical.

Still, since I would assume that anyone threatening me intends to rather grusomely murder me--and aspect of what I am, after all--I really don't see myself as having any other choice in such circumstances. Best to make sure it just never happens in the first place, by avoiding going outside at night, never walking in shady areas, and looking as intimidating as possible in public, which I tend to cultivate with a crisp stride, long black coats with upturned collars, and bland, serious, focused facial expressions, and so on, and generally looking like you know the area intimately (which I do--Arik and I were talking about how we both first scout out places when we arrive in them), and then at the same time avoiding every giving offence, and being very polite when you do interact with people.

Sometimes I use misdirection, like the time I answered a street bum who was following me to my car after I'd gone to the bank trying to talk to me, in German. It confused him for a moment until he then got quite angry and screamed at me about how I was making a fool of him for thinking I lived in America and didn't speak English. But I'd only needed a couple of seconds to get in the car, slam the door, start the ignition, and go in forward straight over the concrete park block defining the parking space, since he was standing behind the car. That shook up the car a bit, but no harm, no foul. I might do the same thing on foot to gain a few seconds in which to grab a rock or something like that.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

Like, if I had to fight and I couldn't just run really fast or stall or slip a couple of bucks my potential killer's way?

Punch the face, punch the face, punch the face. Ignore everything thrown at you as best you can and punch as hard and as frequently as possible, aiming for a spot around a foot behind the guy's skull. Just like my mother taught me.

Fighting blows though, so as soon as there's an opening to run like hell, I'm taking it. If it's a "protect someone you care about" deal, wait until the person I'm supposedly protecting is gone, then run when there's an opening.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I usually manage to walk away. If that doesnt work a knee up under the ribcage and running like hell usually does.

If it gets farther than that I say grab a limb and start trying to break something
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

When it happens (which, thankfully, has been almost never - usually I just get away), my style is to basically use my weight and leg strength to try to trip or otherwise knock them to the ground somehow, then pin them (I'm a fatass, but pretty stocky even taking that away). Once you've pinned them, you can cheapshot them or whatever it takes.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

One on one fights happen outside of movies where you don't get pummeled to death by bricks and cricket bats in a shady construction site after you "won" ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Post by Cyborg Stan »

If it came down to physical confrontation? Lesee... well, not counting what I can improvise in this instance, since that would strongly depend on where I am... and the fact that if I'm in this situation in the first place, it's not in my favor.

In this case, I'd probably try to go berserk and do stuff like finger jabs to the eyes, palm strikes to various places, knee or elbow strikes and whatnot. I could also try biting off chunks as well. Otherwise, I'm not that sure what would happen. Luckily, I've never been in this situation.
ASVS Vets Assoc, Class of 1999

Geh Ick Bleah

Avatar is an image of Yuyuko Saigyouji from the Touhou Series.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Sarevok wrote:One on one fights happen outside of movies where you don't get pummeled to death by bricks and cricket bats in a shady construction site after you "won" ?
That would highlight the importance of running away after you "win." :)
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

As far as "honor" fights go, all I know is wrestling. My goal is to get on the ground, however possible. That's just where I'm comfortable. I'm not a puncher, or a martial artist, all I know how to do and feel comfortable doing is grappling.

In a fight for keeps, distance is the key. Long objects would come in real handy if they're around. Seeing as I don't value my ability to run away very quickly, I'd rather injure them and render them unable to move faster than a limp before I haul ass. If it takes grappling to do that, then that's my only option.
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

First choice: run away

Assuming that's impossible: get something to hit/stab/damage them with. A stick, a knife, a rock, whatever.

If that fails (i. e. I am unarmed and can't run away): kick 'em in the balls, try to gouge their eyes, go for nose or throat blows. Basically anything that will be exceptionally painful or incapacitating, but keep my distance. Up close things go south pretty quickly.

Realistically though, none of these would be good for me. I'm not a particularly large or strong person, and my tolerance for pain is frighteningly low. I feel most at home in armed combat, given my seven years of fencing lessons.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

My Nike-do is reasonable for a non-track guy, 100m in low 12 seconds - so the plan is run like buggery and if he catches up or stays with me, at least we'll both be so tired the damage done in the subsequent fight will be inconsequential. It's worked before.

Took the train home one evening, got off at my local station. Some shady looking character follows me off. I usually jog the 800m or so back home anyway, so as per the usual I started jogging. This is around 8PM. That guy also starts jogging behind me, and I thought, "this ain't right", and piss bolted as fast as I could. The road that leads back home has a straight stretch of about 500m with a nice hill at the end of it, I got up on top of that as fast as I could and turned around to see if he was still pursuing. He wasn't. He had his hands on his knees looking like he'd blown, about 200m behind me. The temptation to turn around and beat the everloving crap out of him was strong, but discretion is the better part of valour so I made myself scarce.

In a fight my main problem is that I wear glasses, and I'm seriously shortsighted. If I lose my glasses, I'm going to have to go with Schuyler Colfax's Plan C or D...
I know there is a method, but all I see is the madness.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

walk/run away, but if that's not an option disable the guy fast as possible and then run/walk away.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I replied with jest. But for shits and giggles, lets consider it for real.

Risk assessment, mine and others around me. Why am I fighting and what to I gain?

Benefit assessment, what do I gain and what do I lose?

All holds barred? I go at the fucker with the whole tool kit. Snap punch to the nose, kick to the knee, palm to the throat. TAke you pick. Technique means little in these discussions but I'm a firm believer if you have to go that far, go for broke.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
mingo
Jedi Knight

Post by mingo »

After 9 years of karate, (which left me FAR from being any kind of expert) what I learned about myself is this: I get the best results from getting in close and crowding my opponent, I'm short and staying further out only insures that I get hit and I can't hit him. Second, hit very hard in very vulnerable places. Third, "straight up fisticuffs" is for a boxing ring, if you're fighting to save your ass, go as hard and as rough as you can go rught from the start.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

mingo wrote:After 9 years of karate, (which left me FAR from being any kind of expert) what I learned about myself is this: I get the best results from getting in close and crowding my opponent, I'm short and staying further out only insures that I get hit and I can't hit him. Second, hit very hard in very vulnerable places. Third, "straight up fisticuffs" is for a boxing ring, if you're fighting to save your ass, go as hard and as rough as you can go rught from the start.
Marine Corps. rules, in a knife fight, expect to be cut.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

When I fight, I fight with the objectives of "make my opponent suffer" (it's usually in response to bullying) and "avoid suffering myself." That means I fight dirty. My idea of a flawless victory involves me running away to lure my opponent towards a Claymore antipersonnel mine, and me with a machine gun in a concealed position, in case my opponent survives the mine. Yes, that's an extremely improbable situation (machine guns and antipersonnel mines are restricted items, very difficult for a civilian to get in the US), but it would fulfill my objectives.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

I haven't been in a fist fight for over 30 years. That being said, I have absolutely no qualms about doing permanent to lethal damage by any means necessary to anyone who attempts to cause me or my family harm.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hmmm. How did I miss this thread.

Vicious. I break jaws, noses, eye sockets, arms, legs etc. There is no "cheap shot". The one or two times I have been overpowered in a fight, always by multiple opponents, the most being seven, I grabbed the first person I could hold on to and beat them mercilessly. A few fights, I'm not even sure of the extent of damage I caused, which in hind sight, is probably for the best. Honestly though, I would say, about 90% of the fights I have been in have been started by the other party, either in threatening my friends or not cooperating and getting uppity and brave when I was working. The other 10% is a mix of me being drunk and a piece of shit and people that, how do I say this, knew it was going to happen, just not by whom.

I'm not a pre-fight talker. A lot of people talk a lot of shit before a fight and that is fucking dumb. Basically, if I am talking to you and you think we are going to fight, we aren't. What is going to happen is I am going to make you look and feel stupid and you are going to leave and I'm not even going to have to put my Cider down. However, if I am NOT talking then you are going to get hurt. I get very quiet and silent before actual physical violence against someone. Apparently, I talk a whole bunch of amusing shit, WHILE I am beating people, or so I've been told. I don't necessarily remember saying anything.

When I'm working, it is very different. I talk because I have to at least give you a chance to knock your shit off, but If I am already having to talk to you, it is probably too late, unless you shut the fuck up and sit down the second I get over to you and have your attention. Thankfully, that doesn't happen often.

The thing with fighting, is that you HAVE to stay calm, which I know is hard as fuck. Your adrenaline is shooting through the rough and you can feel your heartbeat in you skull. Your toes tingle and you get the shakes. But you HAVE to stay calm and focused. This is even more important after you have been hit. If you lose control then, unless you get lucky or your opponent is a douchebag, you are going to get hurt or possibly even killed. It is nothing to take lightly at all.

That being said, some people are born to fight and be aggressive. I think I happen to be one of those people. I was smart enough not to try to do it for a living though. Although tempted, the risk far out weighs any reward.

As far as weapons go. Don't. A human fist backed with rage and adrenaline does plenty of and enough damage. If you have to use a weapon, it should be your absolute last resort. If someone pulls a knife, EVEN if you have one too, you swallow your pride and you back fucking down. It only takes one cut to kill you. You ABSOLUTELY do the same with a gun. Never pull a gun unless you are planing on killing someone. If someone pulls a gun on you, assume they are planning to do the same. You run or you beg for your fucking life. There is no shame in staying alive. I've lost too many friends to the God of Pride and Being a Badass. It isn't worth it.

Luckily, for most people, fights end up in some sort of wrestling/flaying around on the ground match. Most of the time there are people around to break it up as well, before either of the numbnut participants can hurt themselves.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Broomstick wrote:
haard wrote:
Teebs wrote: Assuming I couldn't talk my way out of a fight, or run without having to fight, my chosen tactic would be to hit first once or twice and then run. Probably in mid sentence, once I'd decided that I wouldn't be able to avoid fighting, so "come I don't want any trou *bang* *runs*".
As much as I agree with this in principle, it's really fucking hard determining when you've done 'enough' damage to turn your back, more so when adrenaline runs high.
Nonsense. When they fall over and hit the ground screaming you've done enough damage.
Ah, yes. Been there, caused permanent damage. Ten years later, still not sure it was 'worth' it, still not been in another fight outside sparring.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

I am certainly confident that I cannot fight for shit. I've never actually tried, but my light and tireable physique does not lend itself to any athletic ability.

In fact, when I was 14 I was being, frankly a dick. It could be argued that I had what was coming to me, which I acknowledge. This is not the point.I was punched in the face three times. Nothing broken, nothing bloodied. After a bit of resistance from the peanut gallery I staggered off and cried and snuffled for a good fifteen minutes, not because of the pain, which was sharp and very temporary, but the sheer shock of it, because nothing like that had really happened to me before. Being 14, this is terrible. :banghead:

When I imagine myself fighting, I see myself grabbing the opponents arms, spinning them backwards and slamming their face into the wall repeatedly. I'm not sure how easy or effective this would actually be, even against someone against my size and strength, but it feels very potent.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!