This week in Movies(Oct 17th 2008)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

This week in Movies(Oct 17th 2008)

Post by Mr Bean »

Two movies being released tomorrow I want to see for totally different reasons.

One because I hear it's written about this drunken frat boy who ends up as President, I hear it's going to be the comedy movie of the season!

The other because it's based off a rather fun slow-mo video game with one of the few "stories" I hear is popular to put in video games these days. However because it's a video game movie they will of course farm it out to a Indian call center to find a script writer worthy of putting togther the dialog.

Both come out tomorrow and who also plans on seeing both?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Re: This week in Movies(Oct 17th 2008)

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

I'll probably see both Saturday, maybe I'll throw in a third one. Mainly because I have nothing better to and I haven't been to the movies since 'Tropic Thunder' came out.
Get some
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

W for me. Though after the suckiness of Stone's World Trade Center, my expectations are low. Which based on experiance means I'll probably like it. :)

When is Quantum of Solace coming out?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

The Romulan Republic wrote:W for me. Though after the suckiness of Stone's World Trade Center, my expectations are low. Which based on experiance means I'll probably like it. :)

When is Quantum of Solace coming out?
14 November.

I'll probably catch W. before the election, but not this weekend. I want to see Passchendaele, by Paul Gross (remember the Mountie?). It looks very promising.
XXXI
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Interestingly enough, I read that "Fall 2008" as "Fail 2008" on the first glance. :D
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Early reviews for these movies are not looking good, especially for Max Payne.
Get some
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

I really, really want to see both. I'll probably see Max Payne on Saturday, and W. on Sunday or Monday.

Jesus Max Payne better not suck. W, however, seems almost guaranteed to be awesome.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

About Max Payne....... I understand that translating Super Mario Brothers to the big screen is hard, and so it is with Street Fighter, I'd even admit that DooM does not translate easily into a cinematic experience.... but how the fucking hell could they spawn such a monstrosity from a game that already felt like a movie?!

I personally felt insulted, and the friend watching the movie with me actually fell asleep. Yes, during an action movie!

To make a quick review, you get almost two thirds of the movie with Max being driven around town, from key character to key character, essentially explaining the plot with no kind of buildup or tension. And then you get a few lousy action scenes, and a big let-down of an ending that tries to parallel the original, but fails miserably.

Oh, and there's some decorative CGI things, wich, in restrospect, were a lot more interesting than the actual movie.

In my opinion, the only part of the movie worth it's name is the first scene, in wich we get Max Payne's voice narrating, spouting a few interesting metaphors. And that doesn't amount to even a fucking minute.

The only thing left to do is to install the game and play through to purge the awfulness from my mind.
unsigned
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

LordOskuro wrote: The only thing left to do is to install the game and play through to purge the awfulness from my mind.
So to save myself a bunch of money and the unpleasantness of being in the vicinity of chavs it's better to reinstall Max Payne 1 & 2 then indulge in a load of noirness and shooting bad guys in the head with a shotgun whilst diving sideways in bullet time?
Cool, I can live with that.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

The problem with W is that it's slightly too serious to be a comedy and not serious enough to be a drama, so people will attack it for being neither. I found it decent enough though.
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

Max Payne was fairly terrible.

The movie wasn't even noir. The action scenes were few and far between, lasted all of 8 seconds, and consisted of slow-motion who's usage was teeth-grindingly drawn out. The only good usage was when O'Donnel kick's it. There weren't even any fucked up dreams. The only part of the movie worth watching is Chris O'Donnel, co-starring his double chin. He actually gave a pretty decent performance. Everyone else was a board on stilts.

All in all... They had a perfectly good baseboard to make a damn fine film. Apparently, the thing to do in that situation is to throw out all the things that make the source material good and stretch saran wrap as tightly as you can around the frame you have left over, and call it a finished house.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

The question every fan boy wants answered about Max Payne:

Those winged angel/monster things ...... are they part of the drugged up dream sequences or are they actually portrayed as 'real' things that Max has to fight or something?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

Just so people know not to waste their money, Quarantine was also a major asslick of a film. Between the shaky first person style cam ala Cloverfield, the screaming hysterical female character and the dismal ending it just sucked.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

2000AD wrote:The question every fan boy wants answered about Max Payne:

Those winged angel/monster things ...... are they part of the drugged up dream sequences or are they actually portrayed as 'real' things that Max has to fight or something?
They're a hallucinogenic side effect of the Valkyre that everyone who takes the drug sees.
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I can't say Max Payne was as good as it could've been. But I also think it'd have been a lot worse if they were truer to the source material past some major plot points and characters. The game story had too much shit happen in the story(not counting the extended shooting in the game by sheer design) to make anything less than a tv miniseries out of it. I went in wanting a shift in story design and setup, and not a great focus on gunfighting and/or bullet time so they could actually have time to do a story. I got that. I'm happy.

Even if everybody else isnt. :)