Cheesy Movies you liked

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I would say The Mummy (1999), Robocop I and III, just off the top of my head.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Hudson Hawk was considered a failure? That movie was awesome.

Other favourites included Commando, Cobra, Escape from New York and Red Dawn. I'm sure there are more, but I can't be arsed thinking that hard now.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Alferd Packer wrote:The Patriot (the Mel Gibson one)

Why? Because it highlights the absurdity of AmeriWank without even realizing it's doing it. I think, anyway, that it was meant to be a stirring war epic, but there's just no way I can take it seriously. It's got freaking Odo as a preacher. And then when Mel Gibson stabs the bad guy with the American flag, it's just too much. He might as well have balanced an apple pie on the end of his massive erection and beaten the snobby Brit to death with it.
One thing in that film that brought me a smile at the time of viewing: the running joke of how Mel Gibson's character was such a lousy carpenter that every piece of furniture he tried to build fell apart. At the end of the movie he gets a new house his neighbours built for him and I said to my wife at the time, "good thing he had help building the house, otherwise it'd be falling down just about right now".
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Commando
Doom
Space Truckers
Robot Jox
The Beastmaster
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Edit: Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
Last edited by Ted C on 2008-09-17 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Tango & Cash. I thought it was a hilarious parody when I caught it on TV a few years ago.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

The Patriot ; it's stupid as hell, and I gotta shut down the analytical part of my brain, but, eh, the absurd Ameriwank and general stupidity's made tolerable by Jason Isaacs villainously munching scenery for everything he's worth.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Doom, although I don't know if I should count it; I pretty much watch the movie for the sole purpose of the 5-10 minutes when they have the guy go into "Doom game vision",, and that scene kicked ass.

Do any of the "Back To The Future" movies count as slightly cheesy? I always thought the second one was.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Firefox.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Is there where I admit to kind of enjoying Proof of Life?
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

General Zod wrote:Six String Samurai. 8)
Hell yes. A kung-fu fighting buddy holly look-a-like wandering a post-apocalyptic wasteland fighting a cannibalistic Cleaver family, killing half the Russian army, and challenging Death himself to a guitar play-off followed by a sword fight.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

S.W.A.T.
Godzilla (98)
Space Jam
National Treasure (the 1st one)
Knight's Tale
Get some
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

The Mummy

Street Fighter

Hard Target

Double Impact

Universal Soldier

Under Siege

Under Siege II: Dark Territory

Any ST: TOS movie

Tron

Roger Moore Bond movies

Down With Love

Dracula 2000

The Fifth Element

Starship Troopers

Tango & Cash

The Masters of the Universe

Stargate
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Ted C wrote:Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
I always thought Bogus Journey was overall better than Excellent Adventure. The first movie is a little too much of an aimless runaround.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Just ones I own:

Chronicles of Riddick

Underworld

The One

Bulletproof Monk

Hellboy (great movie, but it is cheesy)
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JME2 wrote:The first Power Rangers film; it's a guilty pleasure...
Seconded. But I don't think that's a surprise.

It was on Encore recently (well, one of those movie channels...maybe Showtime? Whatever) and I got to see it again. Still love it. Kim is hot, and Adam's "I'm a frog" line is awesome.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Wild Zero

It has zombies and transsexuals all finding love!

Plus, Guitar Wolf gets to save the world from aliens using only the power of awesome and punk rock.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Robocop III
:wtf:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Just about anything with Schwarzenegger, Van Damme, Stallone or Seagal in it. Commando probably takes the top spot.

Also:
Top Gun
Peacemaker
SWAT
Doom
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Another set of Cheesy movies I liked were the Treat Williams "Substitute" movies
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Lusankya wrote:Wild Zero

With each other? :? :wtf:
Get some
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

A movie that I love to watch when I just want to shut my brain off and relax:

Surf Ninjas
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Schuyler Colfax wrote:
Lusankya wrote:Wild Zero

With each other? :? :wtf:
No. The zombies fall in love with each other, and the transsexual falls in love with a wannabe rocker (with a little help from Guitar Wolf, of course).
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

American Werewolf in Paris

Road Trip

Capricorn One

Krull

The Black Hole

The Rock
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

The Mask of Zorro with Antonio Banderas.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Pretty much every Godzilla movie. Only one I can recall not liking is Godzilla's Revenge (WAAAAY too much annoying kid in hot pants action, obviously). This extends to most other giant monster movies (Gamera vs. Guiron? How can you NOT love a giant butcher-knife-head monster?).

John Woo movies. I think I can fit Shoot Em Up, Boondock Saints, and Wanted under the same "gun violence = awesome" umbrella too...

The Rock. Con Air. Probably Nicholas Cage movies in general, actually.

Armageddon. The Core. Sometimes Bad Science is just fun, I'm sorry.

The Patriot, for every other reason mentioned. Plus my favorite teacher in high school, the college history professor who taught high school for fun, had an awesome rant about inaccuracies like sniping before rifled barrels.

A Knight's Tale. I'm hoping somebody else will come along and love it so I can jump on their reason, cause I'm drawing a blank. :?

Kung Fu movies. Where the man with a disability is guaranteed to be the deadliest motherfucker in the room! :P

And I know there are so many more I'm forgetting. I love bad movies too much. :oops:
Last edited by Styphon on 2008-09-17 10:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!