NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Its going to be more than two games, If it isn't more than five or six at least it sets a terrible comparison, especially after Chris Simon swings the stick the way he did. Swinging the stick at another player like that is unacceptable. Granted Hollweg's injury was worse than Franzen's, but the act was the same.

ADDENDUM:

A poster on Calgarypuck says TSN reports Langkow may face action for his cheap shot on Lebda, as Lebda may have suffered a concussion.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2007-04-21 08:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I haven't seen what happened (anyone have a link?), but from the way people are talking about it, it sounds like he'll be done for the playoffs. Also, what happened with the Wings' fans complaining with Iginla and Nilson?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Its going to be more than two games, If it isn't more than five or six at least it sets a terrible comparison, especially after Chris Simon swings the stick the way he did. Swinging the stick at another player like that is unacceptable. Granted Hollweg's injury was worse than Franzen's, but the act was the same.
You are aware that Dominic Hasek swung his stick at Iginla in Game 4. He didn't make contact, but he did swing his stick. No suspension.

I will try and find you some video of it.

CBC Game Archives.

It is between 26:00 and 27:00 minute mark of the archived broadcast for Game 4 of the Calgary-Detroit series.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Master of Ossus wrote:I haven't seen what happened (anyone have a link?), but from the way people are talking about it, it sounds like he'll be done for the playoffs. Also, what happened with the Wings' fans complaining with Iginla and Nilson?
In the link in the above post there are recordings of all the games on CBC thus far. Watch the last 5 minutes yourself if you wish.

EDIT: Also, take a look at Lebda's clip on Langkow at around the 11:00 mark of the 3rd period. Langkow responded with an upper cut, mind you.

IMHO Detroit is far from blameless for what happened.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Detroit is far from blameless, They get away with goalie interference more than any other team i've ever seen. Lebda's clip was nasty, but if he does have a concussion from what was basically a sucker punch, then Langkow derserve some type of punishment as well.

Why the Canucks and Red Wings are letting this first round drag on any longer irks me. I'm anxiously awaiting the schedule for round 2. Go Canucks, i'd rather play them than the Sharks, not because I fear the Sharks (they're the best west team we beat on the road in fact), but because we've owned Vancouver the last six or seven games we've played against them.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Okay, I finally saw the replay. Let me just say that if that had been all the abuse that the Preds had subjected the Sharks to, the series wouldn't have been nearly as upsetting. I still think that McLennan should be suspended for a while, but there's no way that those hits were as dirty as the ones that the Preds were dishing out. If the League maintains any semblance of self-consistency, I think it'll be awfully hard to suspend anyone else (Radulov's hit earned a one-gamer, and Nichol, Hartnell, and Vokoun dished out much worse hits that didn't trigger suspensions).
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Master of Ossus wrote:Okay, I finally saw the replay. Let me just say that if that had been all the abuse that the Preds had subjected the Sharks to, the series wouldn't have been nearly as upsetting. I still think that McLennan should be suspended for a while, but there's no way that those hits were as dirty as the ones that the Preds were dishing out. If the League maintains any semblance of self-consistency, I think it'll be awfully hard to suspend anyone else (Radulov's hit earned a one-gamer, and Nichol, Hartnell, and Vokoun dished out much worse hits that didn't trigger suspensions).
I think we can all agree that Noodles (McLennan) needs a suspension. I also agree with you that nothing else was really that much of a big deal. Not even the low hit by Lebda is suspension worthy.
In Omnia Paratus.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Archon wrote:I think we can all agree that Noodles (McLennan) needs a suspension. I also agree with you that nothing else was really that much of a big deal. Not even the low hit by Lebda is suspension worthy.
He picked up a six-gamer.

How the fuck is that six times as bad as what Radulov did to Bernier? How is getting hit in the stomach with a hockey stick more dangerous than being run into the boards from behind by a guy who leaves his feet to hit you?

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Archon wrote:I think we can all agree that Noodles (McLennan) needs a suspension. I also agree with you that nothing else was really that much of a big deal. Not even the low hit by Lebda is suspension worthy.
He picked up a six-gamer.

How the fuck is that six times as bad as what Radulov did to Bernier? How is getting hit in the stomach with a hockey stick more dangerous than being run into the boards from behind by a guy who leaves his feet to hit you?
I'm going to assume that those are rhetorical questions.

I will answer them anyway.

Because it happened to the Detroit Red Wings.
In Omnia Paratus.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

I only saw the highlights on the news so I'm probably missing a few things, but it looked like the slash took place after the whistle. If this is the case then I can sort of see where the suspension came from.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

It is over. Go Ducks (sorry MoO), Go Sharks (sorry Fanboy), go Senators.

Fuck everybody else.
In Omnia Paratus.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

What a game in Calgary. The Flames' skaters should be ashamed that they couldn't help their netminder at all. He did everything for them.

@Fanboy: I think both of us are rooting for Vancouver, now. If they win, then you draw the tired Canucks and we get the tired Wings--two teams I'm confident that we can both beat even if they're fresh. If the Stars win, though, then the Wings play the equally tired Stars and we have to knock each other out while the Wings rest their players, having won in 5.
Last edited by Master of Ossus on 2007-04-23 12:50am, edited 1 time in total.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Master of Ossus wrote:What a game in Calgary. The Flames' skaters should be ashamed that they couldn't help their netminder at all. He did everything for them.
The only skater ashamed on that team right now is Conroy, you could see it after he took the double minor in the 1st OT. The rest of them didn't give a crap and it showed.

By the way, Robyn Regehr would have helped out a ton. He was out for most of the series.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Master of Ossus wrote: @Fanboy: I think both of us are rooting for Vancouver, now. If they win, then you draw the tired Canucks and we get the tired Wings--two teams I'm confident that we can both beat even if they're fresh. If the Stars win, though, then the Wings play the equally tired Stars and we have to knock each other out while the Wings rest their players, having won in 5.
You are correct sir. I'll be watching the game with vested interest tonight, although I was admittedly rooting for Calgary,my luck cheering for Canadian teams hasn't been all that great since I won $20 when Joe Carter hit that homer against Philadelphia in the World Series.

ADDENDUM:

Agree with you MoO that the PReds deserved worse, but McLennan had to get five or more or Colin Campbell looks like a complete doofus. Anytime I playter swings the stick like a weapon, the NHL has to crack down or appear inconsistent, the last thing we need to see in the NHL is another McSorely or Simon incident.

Kiprusoff should by all rights have won the game last night. Instead the Flames go home after round one yet again. Attention Calgary players and coaches, YOU WILL NOT BEAT ANYONE WITH ONLY 21 SHOTS IN ALMOST NINETY MINUTES OF PLAY. Detroit was outshooting the Flames 13-1 late in the first before a Calgary power play helped quadruple the total. The score was still 0-0 but the lack of a sustained offense killed the Flames in a game they should have won. Between the fans Kiprusoff, and Domink Hasek's barely above .900 save percentage. Calgary should have showed up.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

2ND ROUND MATCH-UPS

Western Conference
(1)Detroit Red Wings
versus
(5)San Jose Sharks

(2)Anaheim Ducks
versus
(3)Vancouver Canucks

Eastern Conference
(1)Buffalo Sabres
versus
(6)New York Rangers

(2)New Jersey Devils
versus
(4)Ottawa Senators
Last edited by Archon on 2007-04-24 01:02am, edited 1 time in total.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Fun while it lasted, that Vancouver series could not have gone any better. It was entertaining to watch the Nucks get two empty netters to make that game look much worse than it really was.

I'll be in attendance Wednesday night, of course.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Pretty much the favorites won round 1, with only the Sharks and Rangers overcoming higher-seeded opponents (and it's tough to call either an underdog, as I would've called both series handily). It'll heat up in the second round, though. Only the real teams are left, now, and all eight teams think they have a serious shot at the Cup.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

New York State's going to be having a full-fledged civil war by the time this is over.
JADAFETWA
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Kuja wrote:New York State's going to be having a full-fledged civil war by the time this is over.
Hey, it's not Buffalo's fault that we are gonna kick the asses of two-thirds of the New York teams...
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Captain Cyran wrote:
Kuja wrote:New York State's going to be having a full-fledged civil war by the time this is over.
Hey, it's not Buffalo's fault that we are gonna kick the asses of two-thirds of the New York teams...
More than that if you count a potential matchup with NEw JErsey. Although I would love to see a Senators Sabres rematch knowing that the blood will be especially bad.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Captain Cyran wrote:
More than that if you count a potential matchup with NEw JErsey. Although I would love to see a Senators Sabres rematch knowing that the blood will be especially bad.
Technically, New Jersey isn't a New York team.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Technically, although East Rutherford is so close to New York that the Jets and Giants can play there and still call themselves "New York" ;-)

It'll be good for the Devils to move to Newark.

And GOOD NEWS HOCKEY FANS. Mr Magoo will not be officiating in the second round of the playoffs!

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Darth Fanboy wrote:More than that if you count a potential matchup with NEw JErsey. Although I would love to see a Senators Sabres rematch knowing that the blood will be especially bad.
That's a situation I'd rather avoid because that bad blood is gonna lead to a number of players being put on the injury list for both teams, and that would just suck. We're not giving you fucking Ducks, or Wings an easy win. :P
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Captain Cyran wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:More than that if you count a potential matchup with NEw JErsey. Although I would love to see a Senators Sabres rematch knowing that the blood will be especially bad.
That's a situation I'd rather avoid because that bad blood is gonna lead to a number of players being put on the injury list for both teams, and that would just suck. We're not giving you fucking Ducks, or Wings an easy win. :P
Wings?

Sharks should be the favorites in that series. From where I stand anyway.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Anyone who knows anything about West Coast Hockey knows that the Sharks should be favored in that series, but unfortunately there are not enough of those people outside of the fanbases for Western teams. It is very likely (at least 50% likely) that SJ will earn a split and take Home Ice away from Detroit. Fortunately for Detroit though they are playing better and Coach Babcock has good playoff experience for potentially brutal series such as this one.