NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Owch :P The TSN Panel is bitchslapping the Oilers rather nicely on the Smyth trade.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I don't know if I like the Sharks' moves, actually. It closes the Sharks' window of opportunity sooner by giving away our first-round picks, so now we have to win with Thornton and Marleau and the rest of our current core. We have plenty of prospects defensively (Carle, Erhoff, Wishart, and Vlasic), but despite our current corps of forwards we have nothing else in the pipe. Also, I can't remember the last time that a Sharks goalie stole us a victory, on a team that usually prides itself on netminding. :?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Sharks send Nolan Schaefer to the Penguins for a 7th round pick,

Addendum:

Sharks trade Parker to Colorado, I guess this means Mr. PArker gets four fewer chances to get beat up by George Parros each season eh? ;-)

I wonder why Buffalo felt it was okay to give up Biron?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Fanboy wrote:Sharks send Nolan Schaefer to the Penguins for a 7th round pick
That's all we could get for Schaefer, who played really well for us last season on spot-duty? It makes some sense, though, since we have another couple of depth net-minders coming up, but it sure gives the Pens a lot to look forward to once all their players enter their primes.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

It is a cold day in Edmonton today...

-94!
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

That's okay, they're still burning Pronger jerseys for heat. Not that Chris cares, seeing as how it was in the mid sixites here today :twisted:
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

More details of the Smyth trade stuff are slowly emerging, and it appears that both sides were not that far apart. But as Bob Mackenzie put it, both sides became emotional, got entrenched, and that was it. They were apparently only 2-300,000 dollars apart on their magic numbers, but neither side wanted to split the difference :? What is interesting, is that The Oilers had the deal with the Islanders sitting in a drawer on hot standby if they could not make a deal. Now, I know Lowe et al are floating the idea that Smyth could come back after the season in free agency, but just about every analyst on TSN basically said that ship has sailed :P

As for the Oilers...... the full article on last nights game is up at TSN.ca , but they were flatter than roadkill, and booed off the ice in all 3 periods. It was a shame too, since this was the night they were retiring Messier's jersey and this whole deal overshadowed the celebration.

Oh, and the Leafs got flogged by the Sabres 6-1 ...oh, the pain :P
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

The worst shootout team in the league, Calgary, beat the best shootout team in the league, Minnesota.

YES!

1st in the division.

The Wild are very boring to watch.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Stupid Preds beat the Sharks in a shootout.

By the way, Wings trade update: Kyle Calder had a goal and an assist in his debut. Bertuzzi won't be ready to play for a couple weeks yet.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Stupid Preds beat the Sharks in a shootout.

By the way, Wings trade update: Kyle Calder had a goal and an assist in his debut. Bertuzzi won't be ready to play for a couple weeks yet.
I know that hockey is a contact sport, and so you can't tell anyone what's wrong with your players, but we were missing two of our best guys for that game (Marleau and Hannan), and Rivet still isn't here, yet, from Montreal. All we get to hear is that Marleau has a lower-body injury, and that Hannan has an upper-body one. How the fuck is that helpful to the fans? If I were contemplating buying tickets for a game, I would want to be told who would be playing in it, ahead of time.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Master of Ossus wrote: How the fuck is that helpful to the fans? If I were contemplating buying tickets for a game, I would want to be told who would be playing in it, ahead of time.
YEs but if i'm a coach and I want to make a game time decision I don't want the other team to have time to game plan against my side's injuries.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Don't know if you have seen this yet Fanboy et al.

Brian Burke @ the trade deadline.

Interesting read.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Yeah I saw it. We could have used someone tonight. Brad injured fucking May didn't play though, so it wasn't his fault!

I don't think anyone really wanted to deal with the Ducks, especially knowing that there were plenty of games left against them. I'm claiming it is a conspiracy, just a bit of resentment.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Oilers havent scored since the trade, shelled 5-0 by Minnesota last night. McTavish commented something to the effect "we need to stop the bonehead stuff..." The bonehead stuff took place at the GM level Craig, sorry about your luck :roll:

Penguins rallied from 2-0 to force OT, and Crosby wins it in the shootout over the Rangers. Staal got his 6th shorthanded goal of the season. These guys are going to be fun to watch in the playoffs :D

And the Leafs have Jersey tonight, and Buffalo tomorrow ..... oh, lord
General Trelane (Retired)
Jedi Knight

Post by General Trelane (Retired) »

Archon wrote:The Wild are very boring to watch.
Unless they're playing the Oilers, who have clearly packed it in for the season.

Yeah, Lowe claims it was business, but he should not be surprised when his gate receipts fall after having traded away the team's heart. Lowe was right in that Smyth wasn't a marquis player, but he most certainly was the heart of the Oilers.

Thank you, Lowe, for teaching my seven-year-old boy the harsh realities of life. I won't be coming to another game anytime soon (and the plethora of empty seats last night suggest many others think the same). In the meantime, I'm showing my boy how to follow Smyth via other avenues.

Go Isles!
Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

General Trelane (Retired) wrote:Yeah, Lowe claims it was business, but he should not be surprised when his gate receipts fall after having traded away the team's heart. Lowe was right in that Smyth wasn't a marquis player, but he most certainly was the heart of the Oilers.
Ryan Smyth cracks me up. The only thing I've ever seen him do well on the ice is play.

I wonder if the Isles can make it. They really rolled the dice by trading for Smyth and also keeping Jason Blake.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

The NHL is not going to learn until someone literally gets killed :evil:

Tomas Kaberle taken out by Cam Jansen, a worthless cockbreath with exactly 1 point in his career, delivers - all in one - a late hit with elbow to head and left his feet in the process. And the zebra standing 10 feet away wasting valuable oxygen didnt call a fucking thing. Kaberle on the way to hospital, not sure how bad he's hurt, talking and moving at least
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

And the Ducks win their second game in a week against the Sharks, dropping San Jose into 3rd in the Pacific behind Dallas, who lost in OT to the Blue Jackets.

Fun times tonight at the game! Took a 20 minute train ride and hoofed it to the stadium, I got to see the regulars in my section for the first itme in a while.

Darth Garden Gnome

This is the Janssen hit. Maybe a split second late, but Kaberle got caught admiring his pass. What ticks me off is that Janssen leaves his feet to deliver the check and leads with the elbow. Definite no-nos all over that one. And honestly, a good sport gives up that check.

I fully suspect the sissy baby pansy NHL disciplinarian, Colin Campbell, will hand down a devastating three game suspension. :roll:
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

The teams really need to get off their asses about these hits. Three illegal headshots, that take a player out of the game with no actual repercussions, in the span of a week is a serious fucking problem.

These assholes need to get season suspensions at the very least, get black booked so every fucking coach who looks at them knows that they're dirty cheap fuckheads who deserve nothing but disdain.

EDIT: The matter would probably be helped some if more teams had the same reaction the Sabres did when this kind of stuff happens and react to it in a way that will leave players and coaches thinking twice before pulling that shit.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:This is the Janssen hit. Maybe a split second late, but Kaberle got caught admiring his pass. What ticks me off is that Janssen leaves his feet to deliver the check and leads with the elbow. Definite no-nos all over that one. And honestly, a good sport gives up that check.

I fully suspect the sissy baby pansy NHL disciplinarian, Colin Campbell, will hand down a devastating three game suspension. :roll:
3 seconds late DGG, and there was utterly no reason for it, except that fucking cementhead trying to hurt the player. The lack of Leafs reaction bothered me a lot. I know they in a tight spot and cant screw around, but still. Belak wasnt dressed, and the most noise came from Darcy Tucker who's not even ready to play yet. With the Leafs winning the game in the shootout after being down 2-0 , it makes Maurice look like a genius telling the boys to settle down and win the game. But what really got me is a) the fucking coward didnt play another minute all night b) naturally his response is "me do nothing wrong....."
And , lets not forget the 2 complete wastes of carbon and oxygen that are allegedly referees...
I'd like to think you right and some suspension coming, but given that Campbell has proven in the past to be a complete gutless coward, I suspect he wont even get a game
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Burak Gazan wrote:The NHL is not going to learn until someone literally gets killed :evil:
The NHL has never given a shit about cheapshots, just look at Ulf Samuelson. Career ending knee to knee hits, high sticks, and hits from behind on who knows how many players and he gets nothing, but when Tie Domi punches him in the face it's an 8 game suspension.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

aerius wrote:
Burak Gazan wrote:The NHL is not going to learn until someone literally gets killed :evil:
The NHL has never given a shit about cheapshots, just look at Ulf Samuelson. Career ending knee to knee hits, high sticks, and hits from behind on who knows how many players and he gets nothing, but when Tie Domi punches him in the face it's an 8 game suspension.
Or the infamous Owen Nolan 11-gamer, which he "earned" for retaliating for an earlier spear and a virtually identical cheap-shot earlier in the game.

Darth Garden Gnome

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:I fully suspect the sissy baby pansy NHL disciplinarian, Colin Campbell, will hand down a devastating three game suspension. :roll:
I hate being right.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:
Darth Garden Gnome wrote:I fully suspect the sissy baby pansy NHL disciplinarian, Colin Campbell, will hand down a devastating three game suspension. :roll:
I hate being right.
So that's what... about 6 minutes of ice-time for him?

I simply don't understand the NHL's disciplinary committee, anymore. It used to be that hits like this would get you suspended, even if you were a superstar (Owen Nolan). Now they let things like the Ruutu hit on McLaren go unpunished, and hand out only paltry sanctions for enforcers who are clearly out there to injure other players. They didn't even go after the Sabers' players for trying to beat up on Heatley and Spezza (though they did fine Ruff). I just don't get it.