NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Congratulations Ottowa Senators. You just got beaten by the Rochester Americans. In Lindy's own words, there was a time when there were more Rochester guys on the bench then Sabres.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Just saw the replay of the fights. Goalie fights are fucking awesome, and then the Buffalo player went and picked a fight with Emery and the coaches looked like they dropping F-bombs like mad. It's definitely making it into the next Don Cherry DVD.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Yet AGAIN the Sharks go totally unprotected by the referees.

Tuomo Ruutu ran Doug Murray from behind, wasn't called for it, and then with less than a minute left he went with an elbow to the head to Kyle McLaren, whose head was slammed into the boards. McLaren was shaken up on the play. If the referees had called the first penalty, though, Ruutu would've been gone and wouldn't have been able to injure our best defenseman. I simply don't understand why the referees refuse to protect the Sharks. This dates back to our playoff series against Colorado, when Mick McGeough totally lost control of the game and let the Avalanche go head-hunting against the Sharks. Ever since then, the league has let everyone play dirty with San Jose's best players and not get called on it.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I am seriously worried about making the playoffs right now. This is not looking good.

McGoo missies a trip that causes the turnover that leads to the OT winner.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Well, that's the third time (and twice in consecutive posts!) that McGeough's name has been mentioned. Perhaps this guy is truly a piece of shit referee. I'll barf if I see him calling a playoff game... :roll:

As for the Flames, they still have a seven point bulge on Edmonton for eighth in the West...
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Well, that's the third time (and twice in consecutive posts!) that McGeough's name has been mentioned. Perhaps this guy is truly a piece of shit referee. I'll barf if I see him calling a playoff game... :roll:

As for the Flames, they still have a seven point bulge on Edmonton for eighth in the West...
Given this dolt's seniority, he will unfortunately be in the playoffs :roll:

I remember several years ago, after fucking up royally yet again - in a playoff game no less - the losing coach suggested maybe if he spent more time watching the ice instead of eating fucking donuts MAYBE he'd have a clue.... :P
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Here's the video of the Ruutu hit.

Unbelievable. With one minute left in the game, and his team down 2-0, Ruutu just decides he's going to run McLaren. And this is less than three minutes after he did virtually the same thing to Doug Murray (which is what Ron Wilson was pointing out in his conference with the referees). I hope that Ruutu's back from his suspension just in time for the March 13th game in the Shark tank, so we can go get him for that one. He did this to Pressing a little while ago, too.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Wow, until now I didn't know cheap shots to the head were so prevalent. That's a cheap headshot per day so far.

And at least Ruutu got a proper game misconduct for his hit. Neil (may he rot) didn't get called for squat until Stafford went at him for hitting Drury.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Is it just me or does anyone else have to keep forcing themselves to remember that this is Tuomo we are talking about instead of Jaarko pulling this shit?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome

Disgusting, worthless, shit-for-brains Oiler assholes. They've had the Wings number since their inception in the league. Why can't they just go crawl in a hole somewhere and disappear off the face of the Earth?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Disgusting, worthless, shit-for-brains Oiler assholes. They've had the Wings number since their inception in the league. Why can't they just go crawl in a hole somewhere and disappear off the face of the Earth?
Because one cannot already find a more decrepit hole than the city of Edmonton.

Darth Garden Gnome

Good point. :D
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Round 2 isn't quite as interesting as I had hoped, but it's featured its share of STRANGE penalties and fights--including a penalty shot and one that I thought qualified for the 3rd-man-in, but wasn't called as such.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

The best home team beats the best road team. 7-4 for my Flamers.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thank you Flames!

Just in time too, something big is brewing in Anaheim. We traded Shane O'Brien, a really really good rookie defenseman, and a 3rd round pick to Tampa bay for a minor league goaltender and a first round pick.

Look for the Ducks to get someone to bolster the scoring lines with that first round pick.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Keith Tkachuk to Atlanta.

Hey Fanboy, maybe Burke is going after Bill Guerin. Supposedly the Blues are asking for 2 1st rounders.
In Omnia Paratus.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Archon wrote:The best home team beats the best road team. 7-4 for my Flamers.
Ugh. The Sharks have been playing so poorly, lately.

In the meantime, Ruutu is skating again, today. I guess the League decided that he shouldn't be suspended for those hits on Murray and McLaren in his last game. They didn't even fine him! It's one thing not to fine someone for the Neil hit, since they said it was legal, but even the referees got the one with McLaren. I don't get it.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Archon wrote: Hey Fanboy, maybe Burke is going after Bill Guerin. Supposedly the Blues are asking for 2 1st rounders.
We aint got two first rounders! But we do have Ilya Bryzgalov...

I don't like the idea of losing Ilya, the funniest Russian since Yakov. But Guerin seems like he would be a great pickup, especially since we have another game with the Blues left this year.

Darth Garden Gnome

The Blues are fucking nuts. They absolutely swindled the Thrashers on Tkachuk for three fucking picks.

I'd stay the hell away from Guerin at the prices they're looking for. Taking a flyer on Bertuzzi or trying to grab Jason Blake might be a good option at this point.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

No to Bertuzzi, most Anaheim fans generally hate him, but he might still have a good impression with Burke.

Guerin might be good, but the price for him shot up after Tkachuk left. Anaheim will likely back out, but they will still make a move.

Edit: I should have clarified also that i'm basing this off some of the rumors flying around with other duck fans, and apparently the Guerin to Anaheim thing getting shot down isn't exactly a huge secret if it is in fact true.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

God damn it! We outplayed the Ducks in every single category and lost. Only Selanne's 3rd period goal past Carle was a legitimate goal. The shots in the 3rd period were 18-2, and we hit THREE posts, and were outscored 1-0 in the period.

Darth Garden Gnome

Yeah. That's hockey all right.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Say it with me kids, BRYZ! GAL! OV! BRYZ! GAL! OV!

I'll be there Friday night for the rematch, here's hoping for a repeat of a tight and great game with a repeat outcome. Massive 4 point game.

Forgot to mention. This game might have boosted Bryz's value on the eve of the deadline, I don't want to lose him though, I don't have the same kind of faith in anyone else to be our #2 goaltender.

Late Edit: Dustin Penner can't crack the three stars of the game, what's up with that shit? Fortunately NHL.com made him the #1 star of the night out of all the games played. Good deal!

DGG, tell us more about the 3 way deal between the Wings, Flyers, and Blackhawks from a Detroit fan's point of view.

Darth Garden Gnome

Darth Fanboy wrote:DGG, tell us more about the 3 way deal between the Wings, Flyers, and Blackhawks from a Detroit fan's point of view.
Neither's stats are impressive, but let's break it down a little bit:

21 points on the year for Calder and a -31 on the league's worst team versus,

26 points for Williams on the year with one of the top teams in the league.

Williams is pretty much useless; watching him play the point on the power play is like licking an electric outlet. Going from the outhouse to the penthouse for Calder, I think he's got the potential to be a 20 goal guy again. At worst, he provides more energy and a little grit than Willy ever could.

It's an improvement in hockey players, but the real deal is the contracts. Willy signed to a two-year deal this summer, which was a mistake, and this is Holland admitting it. Williams is by far the team's most worthless player, so it's addition by subtraction for not only this spring but next year. If Calder plays well, cool, and if not he's gone after the season ends.

Overall, I like this deal for Detroit. Not Earth shattering, Calder's no Cup-clincher, but a solid acquisition.

What I don't understand is Chicago's motivation. They gave a promising young Dman still in an entry level contract and their third round pick for Jason Williams?! The same pathetic bum who's UFA at next season's end? No wonder the Hawks suck.