Westerns
14%

Total votes: 91

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Favorite type of gunfight?

Post by Vympel »

I'm watching For a Few Dollars More, and was just thinking how much I love Western style gunfights. That got me thinking, so please vote:

Over the top action movie: Commando, Rambo, and similar types of film;

Realistic-feel shooters: Heat, Miami Vice (2006), etc;

Western face-offs: Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, etc;

Wanked out acrobatics: John Woo movies of all sorts (Hardboiled, The Killer, etc), the Matrix, Equilibrium, etc

Miscellaneous cop movies: Lethal Weapon, etc similar

If you can think of any other types, let me know and I'll add them.
Last edited by Vympel on 2006-09-27 09:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Vemp.. Where would you put Last Man Standing??
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

That's a tough one. Being a copy of Fistful of Dollars (and, obviously Yojimbo) it almost makes it a Western, but it hasn't got the finality of a lot of Western shootouts- the akimbo M1911A1s also tell against that interpretation. Difficult.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Western gun fights easy. Sergio Leone fucking ruled and defined tension in his movies. Second comes realistic-feel shooters like 'Black Hawk Down' and any scene from 'Band of Brothers'.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Crown wrote:Western gun fights easy. Sergio Leone fucking ruled and defined tension in his movies. Second comes realistic-feel shooters like 'Black Hawk Down' and any scene from 'Band of Brothers'.

Saving Private Ryan fits that as well
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

theski wrote:
Crown wrote:Western gun fights easy. Sergio Leone fucking ruled and defined tension in his movies. Second comes realistic-feel shooters like 'Black Hawk Down' and any scene from 'Band of Brothers'.

Saving Private Ryan fits that as well
True. My bad for initially skimping on it.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Mann + McNab = win.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Vympel, does that poll choice specify a realism to the movie as a whole or simply the performers handling the guns appropriately (if their role specifies/implies that they would) and using appropriate tactics?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

It's a toss-up between Realistic and Western.
"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Edward Yee wrote:Vympel, does that poll choice specify a realism to the movie as a whole or simply the performers handling the guns appropriately (if their role specifies/implies that they would) and using appropriate tactics?
The way the guns are handled, sound effects, bullet impacts, etc etc.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I find almost all westerns crushingly dull and without real justification for their fanbases. The only one I liked enough to buy was The Quick and the Dead with Russel Crowe, Leonardo Di Caprio and Sharon Stone.

I like the Die Hard/Predator/Terminator approach to shooting sequences, with John Woo style shooting the shit out of everything in slow motion secondarily. There's just so much to keep track of. I prefer it when it's a bit grittier, like Max Payne if they're going to go that route. I also like the way Rodriguez does the shooting sequences in Desperado and From Dusk Till Dawn, and I'd probably put them above John Woo style acrobatics, it's just brutal, meaty action.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

I'm a fan of John Woo. I loved Face/Off, and the like. I also like blackhawk down and Saving Private Ryan type of fight-scenes. So it's a toss-up between those two.

Edit: In the end, John Woo wins out for me.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Being someone who's had a fair amount of experience with all classes of non-fully-automatic firearms, and grasps the actual effects being shot with a bullet will have on somebody or something, I prefer my gunfights realistic, thank you very much. Otherwise I have to fight the urge to yell at my television screen (or make snide remarks to myself at the theatre. a'la: "Dear gods, that's a shotgun/pistol/rifle blast, not a fucking Force push!")
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

John Woo wins.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

When watching a historical film-- 'Saving Private Ryan', 'We Were Soldiers', 'Black Hawk Down', etc.-- I prefer realism to match the setting.

However, I'm more entertained by wanktastic gun action--'The Killer', 'Hard Boiled', 'Face/Off', 'The Matrix', etc.-- so I voted for that.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Hard tie between realistic movies such as BHD and wanktastic fights such as Matrix.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

I like a little of all of them, but my main preference is the realistic shooters. Depends on what mood I'm in at the time.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

I prefer realistic with a little Woo and Arnie style in small doses.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

I think "Way of the Gun" had a nice mix of realism with two skilled shooters taking on gangs of lesser skilled shooters. Showed how using covering and moving tactics can overcome a bunch of thugs with guns.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

How come there isn't an "All of the Above" option? I would gladly have picked that option had it been there, seeing as I like all types of gunfights equally.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Mann + McNab = win.
Mann is god.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Realistic got my vote but I do indeed like the western. And mass attacks, like the opening to SPR when they landed at Normandy.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Over The Top and Akimbo Wank are my preferred methods. The Matrix really blew, but I love the style of gunplay. So much so I've adopted elements into my modern-fantasy writings, where it makes a touch more sense.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

this always gets a laugh out of me

I tend to prefer the over the top action of Schwarzenegger, or failing that, realism.

Stuff like The Matrix is usually not appealing to me.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

Mainly Between over The top and Realistic, followed by the John woo style, I just liked the storm of bullets coming out like rain for the Wankstatisc style.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.