Just finished my first real week of work

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Joe
Space Cowboy

Just finished my first real week of work

Post by Joe »

At a real job. And it was a learning experience. You think you're grown up when you get out of college, but until you've started working a real job (or you worked one while in college) you really aren't. I feel like I've aged five years in five days. I really feel good about it though - the work suits me, it challenges me every day (but not in negative way) and I feel like I'm not going to be one of those people who comes in to work every day and hates the shit out of their job.

Also, I got my results for the first part of the CPA exam. And I passed the living fuck out of it. 8)

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Congrats, dude, both on passing your exam and getting through your first week of work. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Well, here's to surviving the rest of your life in the real world! Congratulations!

Oh yes, and watch in despair as the government takes away a large chunk of your income, and cry some more when you can't get it back after April as you could in past years. Only then will you know the joys of the working world!
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Re: Just finished my first real week of work

Post by Jalinth »

Joe wrote:
Also, I got my results for the first part of the CPA exam. And I passed the living fuck out of it. 8)
Nice going on the exam. Working in public accounting or in industry? I'm a CA - come up here and see what the UFE is like :D Very nasty exam.

Seriously, a CPA can give you leverage and if you like to travel and like auditing, it is a way to see the world since auditors are very mobile. Wished I liked auditing more, since in tax you aren't able to travel the world nearly as freely.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'm actually in neither auditing nor tax - I'm in loss accounting, which is sort of like forensic accounting. We primarily support the preparation of insurance claims, so it kind of gets your foot in the door in both risk management and accounting. There'll be a lot of travel.

I'll probably take the CFE exam once I finish the CPA, that would open up a lot of doors for me.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.