Richard Hammond Critical After Car Crash

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Richard Hammond Critical After Car Crash

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

BBC News wrote:Top Gear presenter hurt in crash

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is in a critical condition in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the programme.

The presenter, 36, was taken by air ambulance to a Leeds hospital which has a special neurological unit.

A North Yorkshire Ambulance Service spokesman said he was unconscious when they got to the scene but was regaining consciousness at the hospital.

A BBC spokesman confirmed the presenter had been injured during a shoot.
I hope he pulls through. His presence on the new Top Gear and his ITV evening show were always entertaining.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

"regaining consciousness at the hospital" sounds promising.

May the spirit of the Indestructable Toyota Hilux be with him.
Flakin
Jedi Knight

Post by Flakin »

I just heard about this, I certainly hope that he makes a full and quick recovery. What's worrying is that the BBC article is inferring that Richard has sustained some kind of head trauma by his being taken to a hospital with a special neurological unit.

I really hope he's going to be OK.
EBC: Mississippi Division Sleeper Unit "The Sad Weimaraners".
Cao Cao
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cao Cao »

Crap. I loved him in Brainiac. I hope he pulls through.

Still, jet powered car? Christ. That was bound to not end well. :?
"I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode."~Teal'c
Galiv
Youngling

Post by Galiv »

According to the Guardian he was travelling at almost 300mph.

I hope the Hamster pulls through. He has always been hilarious in the stuff he does on the show.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

I heard this yesterday. I hope for a speedy recovery.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

What? Hell! Shit! No! He's an integral part of Top Gear. I hope he makes a full recovery.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I always thought Clarkson would be the first one to get fucked over by a car. This bloody sucks, I hope he makes a full recovery :(
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
His Divine Shadow

Dressed Link wrote:Top Gear star stable after 300mph dragster crash

21/09/2006 - 8:01:37 AM

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond was in a stable condition in hospital today after being involved in a high-speed car crash while filming an apparent attempt to break the British land speed record.

Hammond, 36, was airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary after the “rocket powered dragster” he was in crashed at Elvington airfield near York yesterday.

A former firefighter who was one of the first on the scene following the crash said Hammond had been travelling at speeds close to 300mph before the accident.

Dave Ogden, who runs private firm Event Fire Services, said the crash had happened on the last “run” of the day.

Mr Ogden was helping to provide emergency cover at the airfield in case of an accident when he saw the crash.

He said: “We were down there with Top Gear who were filming him trying to break the British land speed record.

“On the previous run the car had just gone over 300mph but I am not sure if it had broken the record.

“They had just done one more run and were planning to finish when it veered off to the right.

“One of the parachutes had deployed but it went on to the grass and spun over and over before coming to a rest about 100 yards from us.”

He said his crew and an ambulance that was already on the airfield rushed over and found the car upside down and “dug in” to the grass.

Mr Ogden said he felt for a pulse and heard Hammond, who was unconscious, breathing before the emergency crews worked together to turn the car the right way up.

They cut Hammond free, placed him in a neck brace and on a stretcher before the air ambulance arrived.

“He was regaining consciousness at that point and said he had some lower back pain. But he was drifting in and out of consciousness a little bit,” Mr Ogden said.

The current British land speed record is held by Colin Fallows, from Northampton, in his dragster Vampire, which reached 300.3mph in 2000.

It was not clear whether Hammond had been using Vampire to make his attempt at the record today.

Inspector Mike Thompson of North Yorkshire Police said last night: “At 5.45pm this evening we received a report via the fire service of a male person trapped in what was described as an overturned jet car which had been driven on the airfield.

“The male occupant has received serious injuries and has been airlifted to hospital at Leeds.”

A hospital spokesman said Hammond, who is being treated in a neurological unit, was now in a “stable” condition.

Hammond, who often drives high-performance cars as part of presenting Top Gear, was born in Birmingham but lives just outside Cheltenham with his wife Amanda and two children.

He first appeared on British television screens on cable and satellite channels presenting motoring programmes before switching to the BBC’s Top Gear in 2002.

A BBC spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that an accident has happened while filming an edition of Top Gear at an airfield near York.

“The presenter Richard Hammond has been taken to hospital.

“The incident happened quite recently and the focus of our attention is on Richard at this stage.”

Top Gear magazine editor Michael Harvey told BBC News 24: “I’ve heard stories Richard was touching speeds closer to 300mph then 200mph, and clearly at those kinds of speeds the tiniest little thing has to go wrong and the speed obviously massively exaggerates the consequences of anything going wrong.

“This wasn’t a high performance car, this wasn’t a road car, this was a rocket-powered dragster which bears absolutely no relation to the kind of cars which are the main fodder of the Top Gear programme – this was a car that clearly contained its own risks.”

He added: “I know every single precaution will have been taken but something clearly absolutely unaccounted for has gone wrong, and Richard has unfortunately suffered the consequences.”

James May, who co-presents the popular motor show with Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson, said he was devastated to learn his “old mate” had been injured.

His agent, Annie Sweetbaum, said: “James is absolutely devastated, he’s heard the news but doesn’t know how bad he is.

“He’s really shocked, his words to me tonight were ‘He’s such a good mate, I’m so upset’.

“He said as soon as he’s allowed, he wants to go and see Richard.”

Former Top Gear presenter Quentin Willson said one of Hammond’s best qualities was that he had “no fear”.

He told BBC News 24: “It does sound very serious. It is a huge, huge tragedy. He is a wonderful, unique and distinctive Top Gear presenter.

“He has brought an awful lot to the programme and his indefatigable energy, the fact that he tries absolutely anything once, may have been the reason that he has overstepped the mark a bit.

“He is irreplaceable. He has turned Top Gear into a gang show with Jeremy and James and the three of them have wowed audiences all over the world and he is an international personality.”

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said an inspector would be visiting the airfield today to make initial inquiries over the crash.
YES!

Also from an earlier episode:
He could be dead. Well, if he is dead and you fancy a job on Top Gear, why not write to:

I'm better than Richard Hammond was
BBC Wood Lane
London W12 7TS
Oh and:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/485/hamstercl4.gif
Lazarus
Jedi Master

Post by Lazarus »

I was very shocked when I heard about this, although it probably shouldn't have surprised me given the nature of the show. I hope he makes a full recovery.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The BBC just said he has "significant Brain damage" on the news.
Wild Karrde
Jedi Knight

Post by Wild Karrde »

BBC News wrote:
TV presenter suffers brain injury

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond has suffered a "significant brain injury" after crashing a jet-powered car at speeds of up to 300mph during filming.
Doctors at Leeds General Infirmary said they were "reasonably optimistic" the 36-year-old would make a good recovery.

The BBC, which is likely to face close scrutiny, has begun an inquiry. The police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are also investigating.

Event organisers insisted that proper safety precautions were taken.

Hammond's father, Alan, was reported to be looking after the presenter's two daughters. He told the Evening Standard newspaper he was "just hoping Richard pulls through".

"At the moment we are not sure if he is going to live or die. His children are very confused," he said.

Hammond's wife Mindy was at his bedside in the Leeds hospital and he was also visited by Top Gear co-hosts Jeremy Clarkson and James May.
:?
GALE FORCE/BOTM member and all around forum lurker.Image
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

As we know, brain injuries can easily become more permanently brain damage. It's a really tricky thing, the brain, We can only hope he pulls through :(
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
His Divine Shadow

Thats bloody bad news :( I really hope he pulls through. The "hamster" is just fantastic and an integral part of the top gear team, Jeremy, Hamster and Captain Slow :)

Also there's a donation drive going as well:
http://www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHamm ... ationtable

Top Gear is postingmail they have recieved here:

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1118/

And people can contribute by sending e-mail to the BBC here: tgweb@bbc.co.uk?subject=Richard
Wild Karrde
Jedi Knight

Post by Wild Karrde »

His Divine Shadow wrote: Also there's a donation drive going as well:
http://www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHamm ... ationtable
If I'm reading that right within the timespan of a day they've already managed to raise nearly $25,000 (U.S.). :shock: :) Awsome.
Thats bloody bad news :( I really hope he pulls through. The "hamster" is just fantastic and an integral part of the top gear team, Jeremy, Hamster and Captain Slow :)
I'm suprised he's 36. I always thought he looked alot younger.

At any rate I wish the "hamster" the best. :luv:
GALE FORCE/BOTM member and all around forum lurker.Image
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Aw shit, not another popular celebrity, not so soon after Irwin's fatal accident. Lets hope he pulls through this one alive, let alone with his wits. I really like Richard Hammond on Top Gear and I agree he looks very boyish for 36.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Here's hoping this damage is only temporary, or at least, to parts of the brain that won't seriously hamper his life. He may never drive again, but better to be alive and disabled somewhat than dead anyday.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Lazarus wrote:I was very shocked when I heard about this, although it probably shouldn't have surprised me given the nature of the show.
Fast-moving vehicles carry inherent risks. The greater the speed, the greater the risk. I understand why there must be an investigation, but I hope it doesn't become a witch-hunt looking to find a scape-goat to blame.

I'm sorry to hear the man got hurt, and I hope he makes a good recovery.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

:cry: Lameness.

I hope it's not premanent, career-ending brain damage, he really doesn't deserve it.

Sigh. Such lameness.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
His Divine Shadow

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Here's hoping this damage is only temporary, or at least, to parts of the brain that won't seriously hamper his life. He may never drive again, but better to be alive and disabled somewhat than dead anyday.
I really want to see him back on the show and yes, driving. Driving is his life so I really hope he can drive. I heard somebody else say that hospitals call a concussion "serious brain damage" as well, so lets hope it's not that serious.
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

Them being 'reasonably' optimistic he will make a 'good' recovery doesn't sound all that brilliant. I hope he is able to be back and doing everything he was before, but I don't know if that will be the case :(
An Ancient
Padawan Learner

Post by An Ancient »

Some possible good news from the bbc:
Top Gear's Richard Hammond is out of intensive care and is making "satisfactory progress", doctors say.

Doctors at Leeds General Infirmary, where he has been since Wednesday, said his condition was now "stable".

A Leeds General Infirmary spokesman said: "Doctors say Richard Hammond is making satisfactory progress.

"This morning he has been moved from intensive care on to a high dependency unit.

"His condition has been downgraded from 'serious but stable' to 'stable'."
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

That's definitely a good sign. He could at least host his evening show still before going back to TG, assuming he is able.
An Ancient
Padawan Learner

Post by An Ancient »

It gets better: :D
Top Gear's James May says he is convinced his fellow presenter Richard Hammond is "perfectly intact" after a conversation at his hospital bedside.

Mr May said it was not a long talk "but it was a conversation".

"I'm not a doctor but I am his mate and I believe that deep inside the Hammond I know is perfectly intact," he said.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Hooray for the Hamster! If he can talk, he can drive a car, dammit.