Is anyone into martial arts?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Fighting seems to stop altogether when you're over 25. My last fight was at 27 or 28. Hopefully all of you will reach that point sooner :) It's nice.
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Having done a fair bit (2 and a half years) of Aikido myself, but never doing a grading (so still a white belt officially), I can say that it is a very good martial art. If you're building on that as a base, try and find a Brazilian Ju-Jitsu group. Very good submission work and some great throws.

Either that or (like me) find your local "fight club" where people from various disciplines come together to spar and fight. It improves your abilities rapidly as you aren't just practising against people from your own discipline.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Next of Kin wrote: Now here's another question for you martial arts masters or novices: Have you ever had to put your martial arts training to use outside of your club? I.e. defend yourself in a bar room brawl, gently put down a drunken, but yet beligerant, friend, fend off a mugger, or protect yourself from a bad fall?
Ummm... Yeah. A few actually. Aikido is great for restraining a pissed (off) friend without doing any permanent damage, and I have used it once or twice in other fights (including one that was a 30-40 a side pitched battle). However, if you are in a fight, generally its all over before it began and unless you have the correct mindset going into it, its going to be scrappy and your martial arts will be ineffective or even unused.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Having done a fair bit (2 and a half years) of Aikido myself, but never doing a grading (so still a white belt officially), I can say that it is a very good martial art. If you're building on that as a base, try and find a Brazilian Ju-Jitsu group. Very good submission work and some great throws.

Either that or (like me) find your local "fight club" where people from various disciplines come together to spar and fight. It improves your abilities rapidly as you aren't just practising against people from your own discipline.
That is exactly what I have done. I started learning a second style which is more of a freestlye than anything. It is supposed to be kickboxing, jujitsu, and karate. I think it's very interesting from the one aspect that I learned that I need to practice and refine my aikido to make it work properly.

BTW, what style of aikido have you studied? I'm at a yoshinkan school myself.
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

I'm interested in martial arts but never practiced any. I had a self-defense class once. That's about it.

Some old friends of mine knew various styles though.
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

I hope this question is appropriate for this thread. I've been looking into studying some martial arts, especially since living here in South Korea but I am uncertain as to which martial art I should pursue. Someone in another forum passed me this advice:

No contract
Head sensei willing to teach everything – waiting for the boss is a waste of time
No Tae kwon do
Long time tradition – usually legitimate

Does this sound right to you vets? Is there anything else that I should be aware of? Thanks.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Hokuto Shin Ken is a martial art from an anime called Fist of the North Star, and primarily revolves around poking your opponent in the chest, causing his head to explode for some strange reason. Very gory. Hehehe.

Anyway, yeah, this girl. A typical exchange would be...

Her: Here, watch this. Grab my wrist.

Me: Okay. *grab*

Her: Don't grab it so tight.

Me: WTF!?
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

I practiced Cloce Quarter Combat {CQC} for just over a year. It was first thought up for use in the Shanghai police to counter Kung-Fu trained crims. Some of its first adherants wer Fairburn and Sykes of the British Army and Col Applegate of the OSS {CIA forrunner}. It's teaching style is millitary based and you can become able to adiquetly defend yourself in 6 months or so against most threats. Its not fancy and the training is quite hard and there are no 'belts', but it is very effective.
It originally was an amalgmation of a number of styles, but now its techniques are evolved purely apon what is effective and proved in actual fighting, the scientific method is applied to everything.
Weapons include household things, proper fighting knifes, pool ques, bats,pistols and rifles. It does not deal with traditional weapons as no one uses them for the most part, but you are taught to defend against long waepons.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

XPViking wrote:I hope this question is appropriate for this thread. I've been looking into studying some martial arts, especially since living here in South Korea but I am uncertain as to which martial art I should pursue. Someone in another forum passed me this advice:

No contract
Head sensei willing to teach everything – waiting for the boss is a waste of time
No Tae kwon do

Does this sound right to you vets? Is there anything else that I should be aware of? Thanks.

XPViking
My advice is this: Are you doing martials arts as a sport fitness or as self defence?
If its self defence, make sure that the club you join is practical. ie, you should be taught a competent strike/defence each time you have a lesson.
For example the first thing I was taught was how to defend against hook punchs and straight punches.
It should also teach counters to holds etc. Also how to defend against the weopons you will likly encounter on the street, bats, knifes, bottles or even guns.
Remember 'Train as you fight, fight as you train' no one bows to you on the street and gives you a second chance.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

I hope this question is appropriate for this thread. I've been looking into studying some martial arts, especially since living here in South Korea but I am uncertain as to which martial art I should pursue. Someone in another forum passed me this advice:

No contract
No Tae kwon do

XPViking

Here's my advice XPViking...

The quality of the instructor is everything. You could be studying a cool martial art like Krav Maga and have a lousy intructor and thus you won't learn as much or worse you could get hurt. Go shopping. Be prepared to sit, watch, and participate in a complimentary class. I practice my Aikido at the University. It is a smaller club but there is always the chance to meet chicks 8) !

Don't write of taek won do or some of the newer arts. Sure there are many McDojos around that are only interested in your money but don't let that sour you that particular martial art. Find a good club with a great instructor and that will make all the difference. Be prepared to pay a little more money and maybe travel a little further than you would want but in the end it'll be worth it! :)
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

One last thing XPViking, make sure you go into your club with a humble heart and be prepared to accept shortcomings along with your strengths.
Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

I did 6 years of underwater rugby and a stint of boxing... and I had a mean big brother...

Still, in a fight Id prefer to have something like a lead pipe or a baseballbat, if the other guy does too, I'd want a gun. If he also has a gun I want a bigger one. I also would want to be standing behind him. :twisted:

Never learned any martial arts, but I do know thatits the dirty tricks that win the fights. I dont pick fights but it seems I have a knack for getiing in them anyway, courtesey of my big mouth I guess.
"Perfect. It's everything a girl could hope for: Expensive, explosive and phallic."
- Critical Maas
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

Thanks for your advice. I'm looking at the martial arts for me as self-defence, not as a sport. Although, if I stick with it and do well, I wouldn't mind entering tournaments.

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Good luck in your training (when you find your dojo)!