Tonight's South Park

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

The more I think about it, the more I think what happened at the end wasn't all Parker and Stone making a joke, and wasn't all Comedy Central caving in. It was a little of both. The scene could have been written so if Comedy Central did decide to censor it, it becomes part of the joke.

I think the ending made a good point, with how al-Zawahiri is portrayed crowing about his great retaliation against the makers of Family Guy. He didn't do jackshit by running that cartoon, since we make fun of Bush and Jesus all the time here in the US. In the same way, showing this inconsequential portrayal of Muhammad would be almost literally the least anyone in the media could do to stand up for freedom of speech.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Matt and Trey might also have had advance warning the CC would refuse to air the episode with Mohammed in it, so they wrote it in the the story. As anyone really familiar with the show will tell you, they often work on shows up until Tuesday night before it airs.

But I think it's more likely that it was always written that way.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Found an article related to the matter:

Link
NEW YORK (AP) - Banned by Comedy Central from showing an image of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, the creators of "South Park" skewered their own network for hypocrisy in the cartoon's most recent episode.

The comedy - in an episode aired during Holy Week for Christians - instead featured an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag.

In an elaborately constructed two-part episode of their Peabody Award-winning cartoon, "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker intended to comment on the controversy created by a Danish newspaper's publishing of caricatures of Muhammad. Muslims consider any physical representation of their prophet to be blasphemous.

When the cartoons were reprinted in newspapers worldwide in January and February, it sparked a wave of protests primarily in Islamic countries.

Parker and Stone were angered when told by Comedy Central several weeks ago that they could not run an image of Muhammad, according to a person close to the show who didn't want to be identified because of the issue's sensitivity.

The network's decision was made over concerns for public safety, the person said.

Comedy Central said in a statement issued Thursday: "In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision." Its executives would not comment further.

As is often the case with Parker and Stone, they built "South Park" around the incident. In Wednesday's episode, the character Kyle is shown trying to persuade a Fox network executive to air an uncensored "Family Guy" even though it had an image of Muhammad.

"Either it's all OK, or none of it is," Kyle said. "Do the right thing."

The executive decides to strike a blow for free speech and agrees to show it. But at the point where Muhammad is to be seen, the screen is filled with the message: "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Muhammad on their network."

It is followed shortly by the images of Christ, Bush and the flag.

A frequent "South Park" critic, William Donohue of the anti-defamation group Catholic League, called on Parker and Stone to resign out of principle for being censored.

"The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central - that's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad or not - it's Parker and Stone," he said. "Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade."

Parker and Stone did not immediately respond to a request through a spokesman for comment.

It's the second run-in over religion in a few months for the satirists. Comedy Central pulled a March rerun of a "South Park" episode that mocked Scientologists. Isaac Hayes, a Scientologist who voiced the Chef character on the show, resigned in protest over the episode.

"South Park" again got the last word last month with an episode where Chef was seemingly killed and mourned as a jolly guy whose brains were scrambled by the "Super Adventure Club," which turns its members into pedophiles.

Only last week, "South Park" won broadcasting's prestigious Peabody. Awards director Horace Newcomb said at the time that by its offensiveness, the show "reminds us of the need for being tolerant."
I have the feeling that Parker and Stone will bring the matter up again in a later episode.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Rye wrote:Well you should've known better! :P
scientology.org/p_jpg/scnnews/scn_new.htm#BART wrote:An internationally syndicated article by the Washington Post, reported on Nancy Cartwright, the voice of the famous cartoon character Bart Simpson and co-host of the Church of Scientology’s 40th anniversary celebration at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. In the article, Nancy explains how she became a Scientologist several years ago when she was looking for a committed relationship:

"In Hubbard’s works, Cartwright encountered a passage on shedding the pain of loss. ’I felt he was talking directly to me,’ said Cartwright, who said she has had her share of unrequited loves. ’I said to myself, I want to stop that feeling."

Nancy, who is now happily married with two children, told the Post that Scientology auditing "enriched her personally and professionally."
So, let's see then. Nancy Cartwright (Bart) is a Scientologist, Jodi Benson (Ariel the Mermaid) is a Born-Again Christian -- anyone have anything else to add to the list?
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I think another point they may have been trying to make in the show was the ridiculous reactions. Here we have death threats and worry over simply showing Muhammed on screen, and then here comes Jesus, shitting all over everyone, and we hear (To the best of my knowledge) not even a "Hey, that's not cool."
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Captain Cyran wrote:and then here comes Jesus, shitting all over everyone, and we hear (To the best of my knowledge) not even a "Hey, that's not cool."
There are obviously no true Christians out there.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I can't believe the guy called them "whores". Hillarious.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

So I guess that confirms it. Fucking cowards. Right decision my balls.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

A frequent "South Park" critic, William Donohue of the anti-defamation group Catholic League, called on Parker and Stone to resign out of principle for being censored.

"The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central - that's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad or not - it's Parker and Stone," he said. "Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade."
I thought that name looked familiar, so I went digging, and found an old Comedy Central clip making fun of Mr. Donohue. This article confirms that he is full of shit.

Back on topic, I have this urging feeling that there is no way Parker and Stone are gonna let this slide. Everything they have done in the past indicates that we have not seen the last of this.

I haven't seen this weeks episode yet, but I plan on taping it.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

William Donohue is a certifiable fucktard. Pay him no mind.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Wait a minute, that WAS Comedy Central caving in?

Someone really has their head up their ass, because the last episode shown before the new season started was "Super Best Friends" which features Muhammed as a character in it!

WTF!? Someone needs to be fired for THAT little fuck up.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
spikenigma
Village Idiot

does this set a prescident?

Post by spikenigma »

I wonder if this really does set a precedent

* OT literalists:
Exodus 20:3-6 wrote:You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments." (RSV )
* CoS: some obscure part scientology writ stating that images/words of Xenu would cause offense and go against doctrine if they are shown

it'll be interesting to see if any other groups now start lobbying and claiming hypocracy to get things removed/censored from TV using this as an example

it'll be interesting to see how this develops :?
There is no knowledge that is not power...
Phillip Hone
Padawan Learner

Post by Phillip Hone »

Gah! South Park is funny because Matt and Trey don't care as much about wheter or not people are offended as most other shows, so they can be more original. If they start making it more PC, it's going to get boring.

I think it's a shame that the episode got pulled, but at least it's still OK to mock other religions :lol:
Macross
Jedi Master

Post by Macross »

Does anyone else get the impression that Parker and Stone visit this forum? Not to long ago there was a discussion comparing Cartman and Stewie ( South Park vs. Family Guy) and sure enough, the time Cartman had Scott Tenorman parents killed and turned into chili was mentioned as one of the worst things Cartman ever did. Now, a short time later, we have a two part episode with South Park vs Family Guy as an underlying theme, and Cartman himself tells us that the Scott Tenorman incident was the worst thing he has ever done.

Coincidence??? I think not! :twisted:

Parker, Stone, if you read this, give us a sign! Put something hidden into an episode, something subtle, a throw away line or a sight gag, something that only members of this forum would pick up on!

Ok, now back to reality... :P
Iraq Weather Report: Sunni today, Shi’ite Tommorow

The Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Frankenstein...Wasting a minute of your time!
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Macross wrote:Does anyone else get the impression that Parker and Stone visit this forum? Not to long ago there was a discussion comparing Cartman and Stewie ( South Park vs. Family Guy) and sure enough, the time Cartman had Scott Tenorman parents killed and turned into chili was mentioned as one of the worst things Cartman ever did. Now, a short time later, we have a two part episode with South Park vs Family Guy as an underlying theme, and Cartman himself tells us that the Scott Tenorman incident was the worst thing he has ever done.
They've already referrenced the Tenorman incident in an earlier episode... I think it was one where Cartman believed he was dead because everyone had started ignoring him, and he made a list of all the bad things he had done in his life so he could atone for them. He mentioned the bit about killing Tenorman's parents and feeding them to him.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Joe wrote:So I guess that confirms it. Fucking cowards. Right decision my balls.
Why should CC be any different than the rest of the US media in refusing to show images of Mohammed?
Frankly I expect more courage out of the NY Times or CNN than I do Comedy Central.
Too bad they're all fucking cowards.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Glocksman wrote:
Joe wrote:So I guess that confirms it. Fucking cowards. Right decision my balls.
Why should CC be any different than the rest of the US media in refusing to show images of Mohammed?
Frankly I expect more courage out of the NY Times or CNN than I do Comedy Central.
Because they did it 3 weeks ago?
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

If Comedy Central was unwilling to show Muhammad then Matt & Trey should have made him a blank cutout, or just left his face blank a la some Islamic paintings. Basically the maximum offense possible while still doing what the network asked.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Majin Gojira wrote:
Glocksman wrote:
Because they did it 3 weeks ago?
You expect consistency from a TV channel??? :wink:
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Civil War Man wrote:Super Best Friends. Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Joseph Smith (Mormon founder), and Seaman (an Aquaman ripoff) work together to overthrow a cult based off of David Blane's magic tricks.
GOd Damnit I knew that once someone told me I would realize that I had already seen the episode in question. Thanks.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Because it's just a fucking image of Mohammed. Comedy Central does not get off for it's asshattery just because censoring images of the prophet is the common practice in the industry.

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

William Donohue is a certifiable fucktard. Pay him no mind.
He will get his own episode one day. ;)

I remember seeing an uncensored clip somewhere. Think it was Youtube. Apparently, the uncensored version continues to show Muhammad after the point that the black background disappears, so that shot afterwards was re-edited beforehand. (If not, the entire scene would have been covered in that black background and text, so this is definitely something they made two versions of either way.)
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

The 'leak' was a fake according to something I read earlier. I think it was a guy from CC though, so take this info with a pinch of salt.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

If you saw the same one I did, the fact that Mohammed looked the same as he did in Super Best Friends despite the rest of the scene being in faux-Family Guy style should be a sign that this wasn't the original.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Supposedly, this is the message Comedy Central sent out to people who complained about pulling the image of Mohammed:
Dear Viewer,
Thank you for your correspondence regarding the "South Park" episodes entitled "Cartoon Wars." We appreciate your concerns about censorship and the destructive influence of outside groups on the media, entertainment industry and particularly Comedy Central.

To reiterate, as satirists, we believe that it is our First Amendment right to poke fun at any and all people, groups, organizations and religions and we will continue to defend that right. Our goal is to make people laugh and perhaps, if we're lucky, even make them think in the process.

Comedy Central's belief in the First Amendment has not wavered, despite our decision not to air an image of Muhammad. Our decision was made not to mute the voices of Trey and Matt or because we value one religion over any other. This decision was based solely on concern for public safety in light of recent world events.

With the power of freedom of speech and expression also comes the obligation to use that power in a responsible way. Much as we wish it weren't the case, times have changed and, as witnessed by the intense and deadly reaction to the publication of the Danish cartoons, decisions cannot be made in a vacuum without considering what impact they may have on innocent individuals around the globe.

It was with this in mind we decided not to air the image of Muhammad, a decision similar to that made by virtually every single media outlet across the country earlier this year when they each determined that it was not prudent or in the interest of safety to reproduce the controversial Danish cartoons. Injuries occurred and lives were lost in the riots set off by the original publication of these cartoons. The American media made a decision then, as we did now, not to put the safety and well being of the public at risk, here or abroad.

As a viewer of "South Park," you know that over the course of ten seasons and almost 150 episodes the series has addressed all types of sensitive, hot-button issues, religious and political, and has done so with Comedy Central's full support in every instance, including this one. "Cartoon Wars" contained a very important message, one that Trey and Matt felt strongly about, as did we at the network, which is why we gave them carte blanche in every facet but one: we would not broadcast a portrayal of Muhammad.

In that regard, did we censor the show? Yes, we did. But if you hold Comedy Central's 15-year track record up against any other network out there, you'll find that we afford our talent the most creative freedom and provide a nurturing atmosphere that challenges them to be bold and daring and places them in a position to constantly break barriers and push the envelope. The result has been some of the most provocative television ever produced.

We would like nothing more than to be able to look back at this in a few years and think that perhaps we overreacted. Unfortunately, to have made a different decision and to look back and see that we completely underestimated the damage that resulted was a risk we were not willing to take.

Our pledge to you, our loyal viewers, is that Comedy Central will continue to produce and provide the best comedy available and we will continue to push it right to the edge, using and defending the First Amendment in the most responsible way we know how.

Sincerely,
Comedy Central Viewer Services
Western civilization is jumping the fucking shark.