MLB season is three games old...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

MLB season is three games old...

Post by Ubiquitous »

...so how is your team doing?

The M's are 2-1 which is impressive considering we were at Angel stadium and I had previously predicted an Angel whitewash! Also nice to see the A's recovering well from that first night hammering from the Empire.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Phillies are a spectacular 0-2 to start off and I'm just hoping they can take the last game against St. Louis this afternoon. About the only thing in the first 2 games that's been worth mentioning is Jimmy Rollins' hitting streak which is currently at 38 games.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Horray Mets! Other than Pedro, Trachsel and Glavine, I have no idea who is on the team anymore! Sweet!
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
mjn6172
Padawan Learner

Post by mjn6172 »

We're gonna win TWINS, we're gonna score!
We're gonna win TWINS, watch that baseball soar!
Knock out a home run, shout hip hip hooray,
Cheer for your Minnesota Twins today!

They lost their opener against the Blue Jays, but came back for a win last night, so right now they're 1-1. I've got to make sure I see a game when I'm in Minnesota this summer.
Clever and witty signature to be inserted here, just as soon as I think of one.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

FSTargetDrone wrote:The Phillies are a spectacular 0-2 to start off and I'm just hoping they can take the last game against St. Louis this afternoon. About the only thing in the first 2 games that's been worth mentioning is Jimmy Rollins' hitting streak which is currently at 38 games.
The Phillies Vs Braves match is being shown in the UK next Monday. I will be supporting the Phillies of course - those Braves have won far many divisional titles and I like to back the underdog. ;)
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

mjn6172 wrote:We're gonna win TWINS, we're gonna score!
We're gonna win TWINS, watch that baseball soar!
Knock out a home run, shout hip hip hooray,
Cheer for your Minnesota Twins today!

They lost their opener against the Blue Jays, but came back for a win last night, so right now they're 1-1. I've got to make sure I see a game when I'm in Minnesota this summer.
Like my wall hanging.. Went to all the home games during the series..
Image 8)
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Since when do Brits like baseball? Thought ya'll were into that cricket hoo-hah. :P
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Ubiquitous wrote:The Phillies Vs Braves match is being shown in the UK next Monday. I will be supporting the Phillies of course - those Braves have won far many divisional titles and I like to back the underdog. ;)
Yay for cheering for the Phillies and a general BOO to the Braves. The Phils play them only about 4000 times this season. Boring. I am almost as sick of them as I am of the Mets and Marlins.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Since when do Brits like baseball? Thought ya'll were into that cricket hoo-hah. :P
There is a small but very passionate UK baseball community. It will always be a niche sport here, but there are a growing number of people like me who consider baseball one of their favourite sports. For many narrow minded people though it will forever be 'glorified rounders'.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: MLB season is three games old...

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ubiquitous wrote:...so how is your team doing?

The M's are 2-1 which is impressive considering we were at Angel stadium and I had previously predicted an Angel whitewash! Also nice to see the A's recovering well from that first night hammering from the Empire.
Actually the Mariners were at home. The Angels open at home against the Yankees tomorrow night, and I gots ticketses mwahahahaha!

as far as my teams went my beloved Yankees disappointed me after that first game, and my local preferences in San Diego and Anaheim fared poorly. But, i'm not concerned mainly because the NHL playoffs are right around the corner.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

You're right about the M's being at home I don't know why I said away - especially when I made a topic at an other forum bitching that there were only 20,000 at SAFECO. :p
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Ubiquitous wrote:There is a small but very passionate UK baseball community. It will always be a niche sport here, but there are a growing number of people like me who consider baseball one of their favourite sports. For many narrow minded people though it will forever be 'glorified rounders'.
Interesting. I know there were a few Australian players in the Leagues within the past few years, but I'm not aware of any British players.

Are there any teams in Britian? I know Australia has some teams (which explains the players above, I suppose!).

I've tried to understand cricket, but it needs more study. :)

In any case, the Phils dropped a miserable third of three games today at home playing St. Louis in a very limp outing. Jimmy Rollins' hitting streak ended at 38 consecutive games. Well, plenty of time for him to start a new one!

I was at the last Spring training game on Sunday afternoon. It was a perfectly clear day, warm yet comfortable in the seats. The park looked fantastic (as did the ball girls.. ;) ) and I got a autograph from Rheal Cormier (one of the pitchers). If you're ever in the Philadelphia area and have the opportunity to visit the Phillies at home, I highly recommend it.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Well thanks to the mets my Nationals are 1-2 but hey we had the first extra innings win of the season so at least something to salvage.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

The Mets will be getting a new stadium that will be finished in '09. :D Perhaps they're accursed record shall be released! To top it off, it's all paid by the Mets themselves unlike the other complex.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
Ubiquitous wrote:There is a small but very passionate UK baseball community. It will always be a niche sport here, but there are a growing number of people like me who consider baseball one of their favourite sports. For many narrow minded people though it will forever be 'glorified rounders'.
Interesting. I know there were a few Australian players in the Leagues within the past few years, but I'm not aware of any British players.

Are there any teams in Britian? I know Australia has some teams (which explains the players above, I suppose!).

I've tried to understand cricket, but it needs more study. :)

In any case, the Phils dropped a miserable third of three games today at home playing St. Louis in a very limp outing. Jimmy Rollins' hitting streak ended at 38 consecutive games. Well, plenty of time for him to start a new one!

I was at the last Spring training game on Sunday afternoon. It was a perfectly clear day, warm yet comfortable in the seats. The park looked fantastic (as did the ball girls.. ;) ) and I got a autograph from Rheal Cormier (one of the pitchers). If you're ever in the Philadelphia area and have the opportunity to visit the Phillies at home, I highly recommend it.
There are no UK players in MLB, but there is a league over here that is quite popular, although the weather makes it quite hard for us to play, never mind the lack of adequate facilities.

And well done M's! They managed to beat the A's last night - I think we are top of the West now. :shock:
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

The Sox are 2-1 and I have tickets to the first night home game on wednesday! I have seen the fuure, and Jonathan Papelbon is it's name!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Col. Crackpot wrote:The Sox are 2-1 and I have tickets to the first night home game on wednesday! I have seen the fuure, and Jonathan Papelbon is it's name!
2081 here we come :lol:
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

theski wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:The Sox are 2-1 and I have tickets to the first night home game on wednesday! I have seen the fuure, and Jonathan Papelbon is it's name!
don't make me kick your ass again. :lol:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
theski wrote:
don't make me kick your ass again. :lol:
Ha.. The kids will make you to tired to.. :P 8)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Ubiquitous wrote:There are no UK players in MLB, but there is a league over here that is quite popular, although the weather makes it quite hard for us to play, never mind the lack of adequate facilities.

And well done M's! They managed to beat the A's last night - I think we are top of the West now. :shock:
Do you play? Are the fields the same size as American fields? All the same rules? Do teams use a designated hitter?
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Wow, the Tigers are 3-0. Too bad that won't last for long...
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

My Orioles are 2 and 1. However we are playing the Sox next, so that might not last too long. :(
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

The Blue Jays -- who have a chance to not suck this year -- are 2-1, after two wins (by three runs each) and one embarrassing loss to Minnesota. So far it's mostly the new blood that's doing the heavy lifting.

Of course, with my luck, we'll find out in a month or two that half of the team is on steroids and will be suspended for the remainder of the season. Won't that be fun?
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
Ubiquitous wrote:There are no UK players in MLB, but there is a league over here that is quite popular, although the weather makes it quite hard for us to play, never mind the lack of adequate facilities.

Do you play? Are the fields the same size as American fields? All the same rules? Do teams use a designated hitter?
I have never played baseball but I would absolutely love to. I own a glove and a ball but don't have anyone to play with! How sad is that?

As for the UK rules, I don't know to be honest - I assume they are the same with 'A' sized fields.
Utah Jak
Padawan Learner

Post by Utah Jak »

The Atlanta Braves are 2-2. Here's hoping for 15 straight Division titles! Unfortunately, they will still probably choke horribly in the playoffs...