HBO's Rome

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Interesting historical note: I was leafing through my copy of The Gallic Wars, by Caesar, when in Book 5, I came upon something odd. In section 44, there is an account of two soldiers, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, who were forever attempting to best the other in deeds of bravery and constantly arguing as to who was the better soldier.

I guess we know now that the writers of Rome did their research.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

By Jove, you're right. But according to Caesar, Pullo was a centurion.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

There was a little program on TMN that mentioned that book and how they were the only two regular soldiers that were ever mentioned by Caesar. So it makes sense that they would be the obvious two to come up in the show.

Good episode this week.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

TMN is full of shit, then. Other centurions mentioned in the Conquest of Gaul are Titus Balventius and Quintus Lucanius (V. 35), and Lucius Fabius and Marcus Petronius (VII 47, 50), as well as Lucius Petrosidius, an aquilifer (V. 37), not to mention several officers of the equestrian rank.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

"I cannot prove a negative!"

More logic and reason in that series than many other.

God I love Rome, must buy on DVD wjhen it is out.

Also in the end of the opening credits, is that some sort of big calendar?
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

HemlockGrey wrote:Interesting historical note: I was leafing through my copy of The Gallic Wars, by Caesar, when in Book 5, I came upon something odd. In section 44, there is an account of two soldiers, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, who were forever attempting to best the other in deeds of bravery and constantly arguing as to who was the better soldier.

I guess we know now that the writers of Rome did their research.
I thought you knew that already. Apparently they were bitter rivals until they both broke ranks (a breach of discipline) and found themselves surrounded by enemies. If I remember correctly, it was Pullo who broke ranks first, and Vorenus, not to be outdone in bravery, came to his aid when a thrown spear stuck in his belt and pushed his sword scabbard out of reach of his hand (which, BTW could only have happened with a centurion, as the centurions appear to have worn their swords on the left side, whereas common legionaries are known to have worn their swords on the right hip; the reason for this difference I cannot guess). The two men then fought back to back until the rest of their men advanced to their aid. They were reprimanded for their breach of discipline, but having saved each others' lives, they put their rivalry behind them and became fast friends.
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

Pretty much, yeah. It's a calendar, which I think they used more to find out how lucky each day was than to find out what the date was.
Last edited by CDiehl on 2005-09-19 12:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

I also like how they showed Caesar's epilepsy, and the pains he takes to conceal it from becoming generally known. From what I have seen so far, the writer's have done their research pretty well. Allowing for the usual dramatic license, and for minor inaccuracies like reducing Pullo's rank, and expanding the roles of minor characters such as him and Vorenus, they seem to have stuck pretty close to the known facts. I haven't noticed any glaring historical inaccuracies so far.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Holy shit, tonight's episode was awesome.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

Damn Octavius is cruel. He didn't flinch or anything. He just ordered Pullo without so much as a second thought. But I guess he was raised that way being the great nephew Julius.

The episodes are getting better each week.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I find the lack of the battle of Pharsalus disturbing.

Otherwise, incredible episode. The death of Pompey was just...wow.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I would think that being HBO and the BBC, they could afford to do some battles. Hell, even that crappy subtitled Chinese show on PBS has some pretty epic battle scenes.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

HemlockGrey wrote:I would think that being HBO and the BBC, they could afford to do some battles. Hell, even that crappy subtitled Chinese show on PBS has some pretty epic battle scenes.
Seriously, I mean, the Russian show Death of an Empire, with a much smaller budget has better effects that the reputedly 100 million-costing Rome.

They can do much better than 3 seconds of shakycam.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

A wee bit disappointed in tonight's episode. They showed almost NOTHING of the battle.

But the masturbation and implied lesbian sex made me smile.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Trytostaydead wrote:A wee bit disappointed in tonight's episode. They showed almost NOTHING of the battle.

And they made the most original raft ever!
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

I would think that being HBO and the BBC, they could afford to do some battles. Hell, even that crappy subtitled Chinese show on PBS has some pretty epic battle scenes.
I agree, it would have been nice to see Caesar and Pompey in action for once, since that was the last chance they'd get. Also, it's Korean and not Chinese.
Agree on the first part, and almost screamed at my TV about the second. I don't want to watch Pompey and his buddies yapping when I can see two attractive upper-class Roman ladies get freaky. If you're not going to show us the battle (I know showing warfare is not the point of the series, but geez) at least throw us a bone, HBO.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Lesbian scenes? I didn't get to see Sunday's episode, I'll have to wait till next sunday.

Now tell me of these lesbianonic scenes. :D
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

Jason von Evil wrote:Lesbian scenes? I didn't get to see Sunday's episode, I'll have to wait till next sunday.
If you watch it on TMN they have repeats every Tuesday night at 10pm. I'm watching it tonight as I missed it sunday as well.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

My mom's sister is here, so I can't.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Caesar's ex-flame has sex with Atia's daughter.

Weird, I know.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Damn, does every significant event of the period has to have Vorenus' and Pullo's names connected to it?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

For some reason I just wasn't buying that actress as Cleopatra. To many times watching Liz Taylor in the role. lol