Well done scenes (possible spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Well done scenes (possible spoilers)

Post by Setzer »

Which scenes in your mind were made in a memorable fashion?

It can be due to directorial gimmicks, line delivery, whatever you like.

Me, I'd go with a scene from Full Metal Alchemist. It's from the flashback to the Ishbal genocide. Roy Mustang has cornered an Ishbal rebel, but he's still just a kid with a gun. They both hesitate, until finally he tries shooting Roy, Roy casts his flame alchemy attack, and all we see is his shadow quickly grow in size. I think that is more effective then us actually seeing Mustang killing him.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

The shower scene from Hitchcock's "Psycho". One of the most memorable (and copied) scenes in history. The music, the camera, just perfect...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Say what you will about the retarded design of the APUs (and yes they were sily for war machines) but...God Damn! That siege of Zion in Matrix Revolutions was just amazing to me. And the part where the two chicks are crawling around trying to blast the tunneler with the RPG, man i really was like talking at the screen "Shoot! Shoot it! SHOOT THE ROBOT WOMAN!" *blows the leg off one* "YES! Yeah bitches!"

Also an under-rated movie, Terminator 2. People in the sci-fi community know, unlike most folks i've talked to, it's about more than just Ah-Nuld blasting the shit out of people...of course he actually never kills anyone in the movie but, anyway...at the end when he self-terminates. I saw it when i was a kid, like maybe ten or eleven, and i cried when he gave the thumbs up and sank into the molten steel. I was speachless, really. I didnt want to say anything cause i was trying to hold back tears. And i'm (girlie) man enough to say that.
Kanye West Saves.

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The storming of Omaha beach in Saving Private Ryan. Wow... :shock:
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Many of the scenes in Equilibrium were simply fantasic. Particular ones of note are when Preston interrogates Mary (all of 'em; they're GREAT), and the shoot-out in the alley against the Sweepers with the motorcycle flip. The ultimate, though, comes for me in the end when Preston looks up at Dupont on the screen, and speaks. And the detector flat-lines... I was all over goosebumps when that happened.

(Note: Yes, I'm a fanboy... but I've got reason to be :D)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Just about all of Sin City, to be perfectly honest (I saw it for the first time Saturday.) Especially the story with Marv, since it had so many shots with just perfect lighting and presentation :shock:

The little girl's death in Grave of the Fireflies was also excellent, I think, and made a good point of it without it being showy.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

The burial of Theoden's son in The Two Towers always manages to bring a tear to my eye, especially when Theoden breaks down afterwards. Even thinking about the scene almost works, that's the sign of a well done scene.
I also liked the Smeagol/Gollum conversation in the same film.

Obi-Wan breaking down at the end of his fight with Anakin in RotS.

Various small bits in X-Men 2. Wolverine actually getting to use his claws in the mansion invasion, Pyro staring longingly at the happy family photo in Iceman's house, Iceman looking back at his fmaily as he leaves them, Lady Deathstrikes eye's as she dies, tpo name a few.

The introduction of Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lamdbs and his later escape where he sits up in the ambulance and pulls off the guy's face.

The attack on the docks in the latest War of the Worlds, where the tripods come over the hill and only the little girl notices them until they let off the fog horn of doooooom. Everyone just stares at them for a second before collectively going "ohhhhh shit!" and start panicing like one big mass of headless chickens.

The reveal of the final twist in The Usual Suspects, as well as the fake twist before that.

Billy getting hulked up to take on the Predator. Good in that it builds you up and you expect to see Billy carving the Pred a new one. Bad because you don't even get to see the fight, all you gt is hearing Builly scream and seeing the Pred fillet his dead corpse.

The initial encounter in Aliens. Watching the attack through the helmet cams, the eeiry music, Gorman pissing himself.
Also the later scene where Ripley lays into Burke.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Saving Private Ryan, Death of the Sniper in the Church Tower, his entire spoken monologe ending with him seeing the Tiger rasing its turret at him and bamf...

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

The Unforgiven

When William Munny cleans out the saloon.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

IT's cheesy, but one of my favorite scenes is from Robocop after he kicks in the door to the drug factory. "Come quietly, or there will be ......touble!"
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

Col. Kilgore's helicopter attack in Apocalypse Now.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

The scene in Black Hawk Down where Randy Shugart is the last one defending the Super Six Four crash site.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Ditto for the Omaha Beach invasion from "Saving Private Ryan".

I also love the scene from "Miller's Crossing" where Irish mob boss Leo O'Bannion, played by Albert Finney, gets the upper hand on two Italian mobsters sent by a rival boss to assassinate him, subsequently taking one of the dead men's Tommy guns, and jumping out of his window to machine gun several more of them in a car outside, with the lilting strains of "Danny Boy", playing in the background all the while.

I also liked the Hector/Achilles battle in "Troy". It succeeds in making Achilles look like a demi-god warrior without resorting to all the goddamn wire-fu that has become so popular ever since "The Matrix". And I liked the beach landing scene in that movie. They were a couple of well done scenes in an otherwise unmemorable film.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The leg crossing scene in Basic Instinct. That was hot. The icepick stabbing that opened the movie was pretty cool too.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Jet Li's The One. Yu-Law grabbing the motorcycles and stopping them dead cold, then using them as melee weapons was pure gold.

Hellsing: Vol. 2, Episode 06. Walter going up against Jan and using his funky wires to wipe out his ghoul army. Had some of the coolest lines in that episode to boot.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Yoda kicking Ass in ROTS, (the whole cinema cheered when he pwned the red guards).
Vader saving Luke in ROTJ *"Father, help me")

Neo getting up and kicking Smith's ass in the subway fight.
Superman rising, eye's red from the ashes of the meta-humans in Kingdom come.

Samurai Jack massacring the bounty hunters during the drop of a water-drop.
Jack and the portal guardians fight, (First time we see Jack lose fairly).
Jack fights Aku in human form (It was sweet to see him punch the fuck out of him, even with Aku cheating).

The Baron Vladimir Harkonnen being killed by a little girl :D Book or movie version, that felt so well deserved.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

Empire Strikes Back: The scene when Han is lowered into the carbon-freezing chamber. The lighting, the composition, the music, the dialogue, the cuts between Han, Leia and Vader; all these elements combine to make an amazing and cinematically powerful scene.

Platoon: The scene when Elias is running through the jungle, trying to escape the VC after being shot and left for dead by Barnes. I still get chills watching the helicopter overfly Elias as he drops to his knees with his hands outstretched.

Casablanca: The ending scene between Bogart and Bergman is extremely memorable.

Young Sherlock Holmes: The scene when the stained glass knight comes to life in an hallucination. Why? Well, this was done largely before CG and it still is one of the most fascinating and believeable special effects scenes I have seen in film.

Taxi Driver: The scene whenTravis is rehearsing in front of the mirror. Chilling.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

ESB when the rebels were retreating with the Walkers towering above them. The music, the visuals, the atmosphere. It was awesome. Simulary, the Luke v Vader fight in Bespin in the Carbon Freeze chamber. Both characters were backlite and as such were just black shadows with brilliant colored weapons.

The cavary charge of the Romamir(sp?) at the battle of Pelenor fields. Epic. Down to the orcs going 'oh shit'.

POTUS speach at the final battle of Independence Day. Good words.

Many, many more and too many to list.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

From Blade Runner: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've seen C-Beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."

From Equilibrium: "'But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.' I assume you dream, Preston?"
"I'll see that they go easy on you."
"We both know they never go easy."
"Then I'm sorry."
"No you're not. You don't even know the meaning. It's just a vestigial word for a feeling you've never felt. Don't you see, Preston? It's gone. Everything that makes us what we are, traded away."
"There's no war, no murder."
"What is it you think we do?"
"No, you've been with me you've seen how it can be, the jealousy, rage..."
"A heavy cost. I pay it gladly."
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

The final showdown in "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" is simply phenominal.

The intro bowling scene in "The Big Lebowski" is great.

The sequence of scenes when Bruce Wayne is training with Ducard in "Batman Begins" I thought was also very well done.

Then theres King Arthur's final meeting with Guienevere in "Excalibur"

"Now, once more, I must ride with my knights to defend what was, and the dream of what could be."

and then, as he leaves:

"I have often thought that, in the hereafter of our lives, when I owe no more to the future, and am just a man, that you would find me, and come to me, and claim me as your own, and know me to be your husband...it is a dream I have..."
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

2nd part of Band of Brothers: The scene where were the paratroopers were dropped into Normandy. And in the 5th part where the main character runs up over a dike by himself, and shoots a german trooper. Then the camara pans to the right, and you see an entire company of SS.
LeftWingExtremist
Padawan Learner

Post by LeftWingExtremist »

the charge of the rohirim in ROTK, the music (my favorite music in LoTR), the uplifting speach of theoden and finnaly the charge and how the rohirim showed those pussy gondorians how to fight Orcs would make it my favorite scene.

In RoTS two scenes stand out, the scene where we see the two ship's broadsides firing at each other. and of course the end of the battle between Obi wan and Anakin.

"...And everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." - eclipse, Pink Floyd.
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

SpacedTeddyBear wrote:2nd part of Band of Brothers: The scene where were the paratroopers were dropped into Normandy. And in the 5th part where the main character runs up over a dike by himself, and shoots a german trooper. Then the camara pans to the right, and you see an entire company of SS.
That was a great first person reveal, and completely unexpected. I really like shots like that as they tend to draw me more into the movie and the character. I remember watching that scene on HBO and feeling completely overwhelmed and shocked to see so many troops. If I remember correctly, the camera stays on him a second or two before panning right, just to give you long enough to catch your breath before the reveal? Another similiar scene is when Han is running down the corridor after the troops, turns a corner and sees they have stopped and are firing at him. Not nearly as dramatic though.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The joke sequence in Resevoir Dogs

Th Emperor's first apperance

The first color scene in The Wizard of Oz (Any movie)

The bar scene (smaht kids bah) from Goodwill Hunting

more but those are the ones that really stick out
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

The Glamor scene in the finale of Angel.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite