A million bucks for an apartment in New York?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

RogueIce
_______

A million bucks for an apartment in New York?

Post by RogueIce »

This thread's article wrote:With the average price of an apartment in Manhattan now comfortably nested over $1 million...
Is this hyperbole on the part of the article? Did it leave something unmentioned? Or is it really that bad?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Absolutely true. I work in mortgage servicing. I can tell you it is EXTREMELY common to see co-ops in New York City for well over a million dollars.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

How big of a place are we looking at here? And where? It just said "average" so not a lot of detail. But that's still a helluva an average.

It blows my poor little "plenty of free space still left in Florida despite all of the developer's best attempts" mind.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

RogueIce wrote:How big of a place are we looking at here? And where? It just said "average" so not a lot of detail. But that's still a helluva an average.

It blows my poor little "plenty of free space still left in Florida despite all of the developer's best attempts" mind.
Not very big. Maybe 1500 sq. ft. Or thereabouts. It's completely insane. Ask Dalton, I'm sure he can vouch for that, too.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I have such a hard time wrapping my head around that, and I'm quite serious. :shock:
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

About 621 bucks a square foot. so for 1500sq ft....so that's real close a million. sick, huh?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

For a moment, I was worried about Nitram's dad who just got an apartment in one of the boroughs so he'd not have to ride a train for 3 hours every morning.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

This is for Appartments! :shock: Man am I ever glad I like smaller towns ;) Wow, what a waste of money :roll:
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

Well, there goes New York as a possible future place of residence...
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

Indeed. The housing market in New York and New Jersey is so expensive now that some people are buying houses in Pennsylvania and commuting along I-80 and I-78. Its such a fun city too. I wish I could afford to live there.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: A million bucks for an apartment in New York?

Post by fgalkin »

RogueIce wrote:
This thread's article wrote:With the average price of an apartment in Manhattan now comfortably nested over $1 million...
Is this hyperbole on the part of the article? Did it leave something unmentioned? Or is it really that bad?
That's absolutely true.

have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Dangermouse wrote:Indeed. The housing market in New York and New Jersey is so expensive now that some people are buying houses in Pennsylvania and commuting along I-80 and I-78. Its such a fun city too. I wish I could afford to live there.
That's why smart people don't live in New York. Our apartment on the Jersey waterfront cost about 300G, and is 30 minutes away from the city. It would have cost way over a million on the other side of the river. Plus, I get a view of the Manhattan skyline out of my window. Take that, you Manhattan pig-dogs! there's something you can't buy! :P

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Mrs Kendall wrote:This is for Appartments! :shock: Man am I ever glad I like smaller towns ;) Wow, what a waste of money :roll:
I don't see it necessarily as a waste of money. If you live in the suburbs or even the outer suburbs, house prices go down but your commute time goes up. This isn't a bad thing, but it makes it imperative to learn to drive and own a car and so on. If you live in the city, you can get away with just catching the metro to anyplace you want to go.

I suppose it's a lifestyle choice too. If you live in the city, you can walk 5 mins and hit a supermarket (this was certainly my experience when I was in NYC for a couple days, but someone who actually lives there can confirm it), or a train station or tram/bus stop and so on. And you're likely closer to work too. Some people might like that more than having to spend 15, 30 or 45 mins commuting to-and-from work.

Also, some neighbourhoods are better than others, by 'better' I mean whatever conditions exist that raise prices. ;)
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

It's probably one of the reasons why you can see plenty of development in the other boroughs where lots of unused land that's been growing a field of weeds or left alone are now having buildings constructed over it.

Still, if you don't mind being in Manhattan, you can buy my condo for about 325K give or take here in Queens. It's two floors with a living room and a bedroom on the first with a kitchen and a bathroom and on the second floor is another bedroom with its own bathroom and access to a pretty big balcony. Plus, the local trains and buses are nearby. If you don't mind the noise, the upper level 7 train will roar pass every now and then. :)
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Man, and I thought that prices for real estate in Hobart had gotten bad.

Down here you pay 500,000 Australian for a nice 4 or 5 bedroom place in a good suburb with views... Or 250,000 for a 2-3 bedroom average domicile. Seriously. Fuck living in the big city. Too fucking expensive.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Who sais if you live in a small town or away from all the busy streets and stuff you have to work in a big city? I know there are more jobs in the city but small towns need emplyees too :P
Anyhow, I know what you mean, and I just said that I view it as a waste of money I never said everyone else had to see it that way :P :lol:

EDIT: Sorry guys this response was directed at Stofsk :P ;)
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Studio apartments in London start at about 300,000 pounds (~US$550,000), so the average apartment would be around the $1m level as well. I'd rather take that and build a mansion somewhere else.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Yeeesh, and I thought house prices here in California were bad.

1 mil for an apartment? :shock: Hideous.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Shinova wrote:Yeeesh, and I thought house prices here in California were bad.

1 mil for an apartment? :shock: Hideous.
West coast terminology difference -- apartments you rent, condos you buy ....

What's a 1500 s.f. condo in downtown San Fran or near Malibu going for right now?
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

All real estate from New Jersey to Massachusetts has become heinously expensive in the past decade. Shitty, beat up, 1500 square foot houses in outer suburbs of Boston are going for close to half a million. The house I bought in suburban Rhode Island for $173,000 last year is now appraised at $235,000. Sixty fucking grand in a year! All i really did was paint some walls, plant some flowers and upgrade the electrical system.... that didn't even cost me $10K. I'd sell the place, move and pocket the profit, but where the fuck am i going to go? North Nowheresville Vermont? Deer Shit Junction Ohio? fuck no! The population is still growing too, and the home builders still aren't meeting demand. Not even close. So the prices rise.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Isn't deershit junction where they filmed Dreamcatcher?
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Chardok wrote:Isn't deershit junction where they filmed Dreamcatcher?
No, that was East Bumfucknowhere.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy