self esteem question

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

self esteem question

Post by Enforcer Talen »

what makes you feel good about yourself and justfies all the oxygen your using up? :D

me, I like working out. school can be fun, I love learning new things, but if I dont do physical activity for a few days, I start getting twitchy. on the other hand, I can stop doing college for a spring break, and if I am working out, Im feeling awesome ^^
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Re: self esteem question

Post by Lindar »

Enforcer Talen wrote:what makes you feel good about yourself and justfies all the oxygen your using up? :D
The rare chances to sing, and making people laugh and feel all bubbly inside. I know that sounds like a weird thing, but that's what makes me feel glad to be me. Sometimes it's the only thing, but it's better than nothing.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

I have zero self-esteem, and if not for the fact that everyone calls me a genius (even professors), I might have suicided ages ago. So I guess I'm being carried by everyone's expectations.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

People claiming I'm a good person and have talent, mostly. Oh, and the drugs help.

That, and the general need to get the stories out of my head and into some discernable form.
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

Accomplishment, pure and simple.

That and the fact that I reached an accord with myself sometime back to accept who and what I am, working on fixing the rough edges, so on and so forth.

I've done some good in my life, and I look to do more.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

I can't justify my existence.

Or actually, I can, but it's one giant fallacy. Basically, I take a great deal of sollace in the fact that I'm not violent, greedy or otherwise actively evil.

I contribute nothing to the species, but I'm not as big of a detriment as some people. That's basically it.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

simply realizing that there's always more i can do than what i've done before, and that i haven't done everything i've wanted to yet. also the fact that there's very little i probably couldn't do that i want to do with enough motivation and means.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

My wife makes me feel good about myself. Damn, she's hot.

But the number one thing is a small thing: I know that I can go out right now and buy myself a candy bar. I can do this, in fact, whenever I want to and it won't make a lick of difference to me financially. The security of knowing I'm not counting pennies to make it through life makes me feel DAMN good about myself.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

I'm the therapist out of my little group of friends. I've been told I'm half-decent at it. Maybe a little bit more. So not only does it make me feel good that I'm helping out my friends, it makes me feel sorta needed. If that makes any sense.
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

xBlackFlash wrote:I'm the therapist out of my little group of friends. I've been told I'm half-decent at it. Maybe a little bit more. So not only does it make me feel good that I'm helping out my friends, it makes me feel sorta needed. If that makes any sense.
Makes a lot of sense Velvet.*hugs* Everyone needs to be needed. It's actually one of the basic needs...

it's always good to feel that. It helps one keep it together sometimes.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I've always had good esteem. My sense of self worth comes from knowing I'm doing something I want to do that's in my best interest or fulfills some desire. That's not necessarily a selfish thing, as making a sacrifice for a friend may be my desire. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I fulfill some challenge/goal I set for myself. I spend a very little amount of time feeling angry or sad.

I guess I'm the complete opposite of being co-dependant, which may be the reason I'm still single. I don't need someone holding my hand to accomplish something, nor do I need reassurance that I'm smart or doing something right.
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Those around me always say I give good advice, and I'm called a compassionate and caring person. That makes me feel good inside. :-)
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Expectations, the love of learning, and the "Ah-hah!" instant, both when I have it, but more when someone I'm teaching has it.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Thanks from others when I dispense information or render assistance. It may be a bit self absorbed of me, but I enjoy it when I'm recognized for something. :)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Antares
Padawan Learner

Re: self esteem question

Post by Antares »

Enforcer Talen wrote:what makes you feel good about yourself and justfies all the oxygen your using up? :D
that i can do some things other cannot, including some 3D artwork and computer science stuff.

that most events happen like i predict (even if noone believes me)
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Letting people see what I can do. Whether it's a good test score, saying something amusing, or just doing something with friends, anything to show that I can do something besides go a day without talking to someone other than myself. But, since I don't do those things nearly as much as I can, I have a few self-esteem problems.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

My friends are willing to drag my anti-social ass out every now and then despite the fact that I practically go kicking and screaming, so there must be something good about me.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Knowing that I've "made it", more or less. I had so many people in my youth tell me that I'll never make it, that I'll be a complete failure in life and end up being a homeless bum or permanently stuck on welfare. I got a degree, I have a decent job, I'm dating the most amazing and wonderful woman I can imagine...I've gotten somewhere and made something of myself, and now I get to go "ha-ha! Told you so!" to all my doubters. That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Accomplishment and progress.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I guess I never actively went out and do "bad" things. I like every consumer and tax payer contributes to the economy and help people through taxes.

If I really want to say what my main contribution would be, I would say as a doctor I provide a obvious benefit to the people under my care.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

1) I enjoy seeing other people laugh. I like to laugh, too.
2) Random acts of feigned stupidity or silliness liven up the day.*
3) Because there's nothing else to do. I never understood the preoccupation with a purpose for living when there's no alternative.
4) A girl. She doesn't like me any more than a friend and doesn't know, but it's nice just to be around her. I guess.

And that's about it. You learn to deal with the rest.

* A recent special favorite of mine was waiting till the end of a multi-day lecture on the chapters with the Renaissance and the Reformation and then raising my hand and asking "All right, I get the part about Martin Luther King, but what's a Ren-Ah-Sense?" The look of horror was priceless...
The Morrigan
Jedi Knight
Location: Lost, somewhere within the realms of my own fevered imagination

Post by The Morrigan »

Right at the moment, fuck all except that I'm quite good at my job. Unfortunately, my job happens to be a quite junior clerical position, only my bosses let me rewrite the company constitution because I have a law degree and nobody else understands it anyway. In fact come to think of it, I only still have a job becuase I'm the only one who understands all the legal shit that nobody else wants to deal with. :|
After all, this is completely straightforward. What could possibly go wrong?

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR EMERGENCY PANTS!

I hate Matt Damon and there's not a damn thing you can do about it

No, I'm not on drugs. I'm like this all the time.