Flyboys (Perhaps to be spoiled in the course of discussion)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

*pets his copy of the Blue Max and cackles evilly*

Bruno Statchel lives for me!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

I have that one on VHS, and what a gem it is. There's also Aces High with Malcolm McDowell that is also a worthwhile WW1 movie, though it reuses stock footage from Blue Max at various points in the movie.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

reminds me of the times when Tora, Tora, Tora has been used in other WWII movies.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:reminds me of the times when Tora, Tora, Tora has been used in other WWII movies.
Like Midway, which generously lifts whole scenes from Tora! Tora! Tora! and even a bit from Battle Of Britain. :wtf:

The latter 2 films are good films. Midway is not.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Saw the film, liked the combat, hated the romantic subplot. Slowed down the movie and was, ultimately, pointless. My dad is right about it: they should have dropped the "doomed romance" and just had the American pilot carousing around, getting drunk, and raising hell between missions. You could still fit the DRAMATIC BEHIND THE LINES RESCUE! into the film without the romance.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Broomstick wrote:You know, that's one of at least two aviation movies I want to see, but can't find copies of. Everywhere I go either they've never heard of it, or "sorry, we don't carry that, there's not enough interest".
Have you tried searching Amazon.com or Movies Unlimited?
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Actually, no - but I'll give it a try
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

RedImperator wrote:Saw the film, liked the combat, hated the romantic subplot. Slowed down the movie and was, ultimately, pointless. My dad is right about it: they should have dropped the "doomed romance" and just had the American pilot carousing around, getting drunk, and raising hell between missions. You could still fit the DRAMATIC BEHIND THE LINES RESCUE! into the film without the romance.
The problem with the romantic subplot of Flyboys is that it really doesn't connect to the rest of the story in any significant way. It doesn't affect Blaine Rawlings on any level except to set up the whole rescue-behind-the-lines scene, afterwhich Lucienne is disposed of. In other words, it was just another plot-device.

By contrast, the romantic subplot in The Blue Max was integral to the entire movie. It underlined the psychology of Bruno Stachel (his inferiority/persecution complex against the upper class society as well as his envy of them), starkly illustrated the decadence of the upper class (the General knows Stachel is probably fucking his wife but doesn't care anymore than he does that his own nephew is fucking his wife, as he's got his own playmates he spends his evenings with) and in the end was the mechanism which led to Stachel's death.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:reminds me of the times when Tora, Tora, Tora has been used in other WWII movies.
Like Midway, which generously lifts whole scenes from Tora! Tora! Tora! and even a bit from Battle Of Britain. :wtf:

The latter 2 films are good films. Midway is not.
Ah yes, the clip-show depiction of the Battle of Midway. One of Universal's cheapest films.

I don't recall any footage from BoB appearing in that movie, but of course recognised all the TTT clips as well as the horribly mismatched combat film clips showing ships and planes from two years after the battle just spliced in. They just didn't even try. That and they had to pollute the movie with that whole drippy soap-opera of Charleton Heston's kid in love with the Nisei girl.

I just can't watch that movie.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Patrick Degan wrote:Ah yes, the clip-show depiction of the Battle of Midway. One of Universal's cheapest films.
It's a piece of garbage. That's about the best I can say about it.
I don't recall any footage from BoB appearing in that movie, but of course recognised all the TTT clips as well as the horribly mismatched combat film clips showing ships and planes from two years after the battle just spliced in. They just didn't even try. That and they had to pollute the movie with that whole drippy soap-opera of Charleton Heston's kid in love with the Nisei girl.

I just can't watch that movie.
Nor did I until I was looking up the scenes lifted from Tora! Tora! Tora!:
Mistake Continuity: Some of the stock footage used in the battle sequences are actually just out-takes from the movie The Battle of Britain. Long shots showing dogfighting planes from that movie appear several times during Midway's combat scenes. In the torpedo attack on the Yorktown, one of the burning Japanese bombers is actually, on closer inspection, a German Heinkel, another borrowed shot from the B.O.B.
So, it's an outtake, but still lifted from another film about combat in a completely different part of the world! :banghead:

I don't own Midway nor do I have any interest in even renting it, but next time it's on TV I'll take a look at the scene in question to be sure.