Flyboys (Perhaps to be spoiled in the course of discussion)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Groovy screenshots, FSTarget. I'm strictly a single player kind of guy, though. Don't really know if my pathetic dial-up connection would handle MMP.

Dunno if this will help, or if you've tried it but...

pdf document on workarounds for issues with Windows 2K and XP , and USB joystick issues.

I also have a RB3D First Aid Kit file that helps with some of these modern computer troubles with the game that I can E-mail to you, but I can't find links to download it online anymore. :?
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Frank Hipper wrote:Groovy screenshots, FSTarget. I'm strictly a single player kind of guy, though. Don't really know if my pathetic dial-up connection would handle MMP.
Yeah, well those were the days before the hi-res skins started to come out, and long before the community was improving the aircraft shapes and adding 3-D wheels and rigging and such. I still have my MMP textures and thought about redoing them with the hi-res skins, but that got put on the back burner a few years back. With those FSAF skins, I repainted some of the first "accurized" low-res skins that were released. I think the ground textrures were some early Promised Land stuff. I bought the last big release from PL a few years back. Great stuff.

You know, there was a mod I once found that let you drive the tanks across no man's land, but it was really wonky and I think it was only available in SP. It was very basic, you could steer and move slowly along, but there was no "cockpit" art of any kind and I think you could only fire machine guns.

We did MMP on dial up too, and it worked fairly well. Voice comms would have made a huge difference in avoiding Death By Typing, but it was still great fun. If we were lucky, we'd get up 3 or 4 Squirrels up at the same time and we'd head off looking for trouble. However, I recall the best dogfight I ever was involved in was when I got separated from the main scrum, and for some reason no one else tried to interfere with me or the other pilot. We tangled for about 10 minutes of wild flying trying to get the best of the other. It ended with our guns empty and us both scoring hits on each other, but neither shot down. Best online combat flight sim moment I've ever had.
Dunno if this will help, or if you've tried it but...

pdf document on workarounds for issues with Windows 2K and XP , and USB joystick issues.

I also have a RB3D First Aid Kit file that helps with some of these modern computer troubles with the game that I can E-mail to you, but I can't find links to download it online anymore. :?
I'll check it out! I was actually able to get a clean RB3D install up and running several months ago, but after a few minutes of flight, I'd get a strange error message, and then the game wouldn't run again unless I did another clean install. I was wondering if it was some conflict with the latest DirectX, or Glide wrappers, but I'll give it another shot.

And yes, the First Aid thing sounds great. I'll PM you my e-mail adddress. Thanks!

One of these days, maybe we'll get a nice, new, modern WWI sim. Something along the lines of IL-2 would be super!
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

Up-to-date WWI sim?

Get Windows Combat Flight Simulator 3, then get this patch for it.

People are saying that it's absolutely wonderful, vastly improved over CFS3, and they're still working on making it better.
Apparently, the gameplay is not up to RB3D standards, but I'm hearing way too many good things about what's in the works to think that won't change.

Incoming E-mail as soon as I can get my barely computer literate ass in action. :P
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Frank Hipper wrote:Up-to-date WWI sim?

Get Windows Combat Flight Simulator 3, then get this patch for it.

People are saying that it's absolutely wonderful, vastly improved over CFS3, and they're still working on making it better.
Apparently, the gameplay is not up to RB3D standards, but I'm hearing way too many good things about what's in the works to think that won't change.
Have heard of this, but lack of time and all, you know... WIll be sure to check it out. I have a copy of little-played CFS3 somewheres...

Still, I'd love to see a new-build WWI sim, with dynamic campaigns, all that good stuff.

Anyway, what the community has done to update RB3D is quite astonishing you know.

From this:

To this:

And beyond.
Incoming E-mail as soon as I can get my barely computer literate ass in action. :P
No rush at all, sir. At your earliest convenience, and again, thanks!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Hmphfr!

Nevermind your pixelated biplanes - I still prefer the real thing:

neener, neener :P
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

Broomstick wrote:Hmphfr!

Nevermind your pixelated sky-steeds - I still prefer the real thing:

Yes?

I shot down Roul Lufbery and James McCudden last night, though, what have you got to say to that?

Hmmm? Hmmm?
:lol:

Butcher of the skies, I is.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Frank Hipper wrote:I shot down Roul Lufbery and James McCudden last night, though, what have you got to say to that?

Hmmm? Hmmm?
I fly missions that don't have a "reset" button. No do-overs, I have to get it right the first time, and every time.

And I do.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

Broomstick wrote:No do-overs, I have to get it right the first time, and every time.

And I do.
See to it that you continue to do so, please. :wink:

:)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Roger, wilco

Check out my new thread over in "Artwork". I felt inspired to post some more from the recent airshow, back in early September. Seems appropriate to this conversation.

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Some of us don't have access to the real thing.

<Runs off, jealous as hell>

:D

Edit: Broomstick, are you a simmer by chance? You must fly something on your 'puter on rainy days. :mrgreen:
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

FSTargetDrone wrote:

Some of us don't have access to the real thing.

<Runs off, jealous as hell>

:D

Edit: Broomstick, are you a simmer by chance? You must fly something on your 'puter on rainy days. :mrgreen:
so if we here about an illegal dogfight club of biplane pilots over in the Ill. area we know whose responsible. :twisted:

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Frank Hipper wrote:(possibly excepting Ernst Udet)...
Going a bit off topic here but when I was young, I saw a docu about a German pilot in the 30's who picked up a towel from the ground with his landing gear under heavy stall (he turned his engine off) after flying under a bridge or something. Basicly it was so insane it was on the verge of surreal. Can it be that this is the same guy?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Edit: Broomstick, are you a simmer by chance? You must fly something on your 'puter on rainy days.
Once in awhile I'll sim.

Used to be a big Descent fan, which isn't a sim but a game with "fantasy physics" but it was fun. These days, the sim I use is RealFlight, which is actually an RC model airplane sim. Since the control box is exactly the same as the real thing it's really useful in training.

But mostly rainy days are used to catch up with stuff that didn't get done while I was at the airport.
The Yosemite Bear wrote:So if we here about an illegal dogfight club of biplane pilots over in the Ill. area we know whose responsible.
How does it go? The first rule of Illegal Dogfight Club is that there is no Illegal Dogfight Club.... :wink:

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Broomstick wrote:Once in awhile I'll sim.

Used to be a big Descent fan, which isn't a sim but a game with "fantasy physics" but it was fun. These days, the sim I use is RealFlight, which is actually an RC model airplane sim. Since the control box is exactly the same as the real thing it's really useful in training.
Ah yes, Descent. That takes me back... I fired up my copy of Descent II a few months back and it's still great fun.

I've heard of RealFlight. Cool stuff.
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

wautd wrote:
Frank Hipper wrote:(possibly excepting Ernst Udet)...
Going a bit off topic here but when I was young, I saw a docu about a German pilot in the 30's who picked up a towel from the ground with his landing gear under heavy stall (he turned his engine off) after flying under a bridge or something. Basicly it was so insane it was on the verge of surreal. Can it be that this is the same guy?
One and the same; snagging a handkerchief off the ground with a wingtip was almost more a claim to fame for him than being Germany's highest scoring ace to survive WWI.
It was his love of flying that led him to be entangled with the Nazis; they lured him with aircraft. The Curtiss that Hermann Goring bought for him as a "bribe" amazingly still survives.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Hopefully, if this is a hit, it'll spurr interest in more WWI movies and in the war itself.

I want a Battlefield 1914, goddammit! :D
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
The Yosemite Bear

Jason von Evil wrote:Hopefully, if this is a hit, it'll spurr interest in more WWI movies and in the war itself.

sorry mustard gas everyone on the ground needs to respawn now.

Battlefield: 1862, well that cannister tore you a new one, now get a wooden leg up, and charge those guns on the highground again.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Saw the movie today with my wife. It was entertaining, and I recommend seeing it.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Jason von Evil wrote:Hopefully, if this is a hit, it'll spurr interest in more WWI movies and in the war itself.

You've never heard of the BF1918 Total Conversion?

Sure it's not 1914, but surely close enough!
The Yosemite Bear

can we have a gallopoli map where the brits suffer constant damage from dehydration, and the turks get spot on artillery?

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Saw the movie this afternoon and enjoyed it. Beautiful film and I was glad to see the Escadrille flying Nieuports. Pity they didn't have the Germans flying Albatrosses and painted all their planes red --except for the "Black Falcon". But it was still a lovely film and worth my 2 1/2 hours in the theatre.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Groovy death scenes in it as well.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There was one very mild peeve I had, which seems universal in airplane movies. They had the guys talking audibly over the sound of their engines. While there was a reference to the engine noise being deafening, they "cheated" at a couple other spots. You can't hear shit over engine noise in an airplane like that, and even if the engine isn't running you still have a lot of noise from the sound of the air rushing by (or rather, you rushing by the air). All communication is done by handsignals. Of course, it would really stop the action to give everyone lessons in aviation sign language, so it's another anomoly I'll forgive to make the movie more accessible to the non-pilot.

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Broomstick wrote:There was one very mild peeve I had, which seems universal in airplane movies. They had the guys talking audibly over the sound of their engines. While there was a reference to the engine noise being deafening, they "cheated" at a couple other spots. You can't hear shit over engine noise in an airplane like that, and even if the engine isn't running you still have a lot of noise from the sound of the air rushing by (or rather, you rushing by the air). All communication is done by handsignals. Of course, it would really stop the action to give everyone lessons in aviation sign language, so it's another anomoly I'll forgive to make the movie more accessible to the non-pilot.
The Blue Max didn't make that mistake.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You know, that's one of at least two aviation movies I want to see, but can't find copies of. Everywhere I go either they've never heard of it, or "sorry, we don't carry that, there's not enough interest".

>sigh<