[Point] Creation of Senate Whip

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

[Point] Creation of Senate Whip

Post by Surlethe »

I recently received a private message from Lord Zentei. He proposes the following:
Lord Zentei wrote:The suggestion is to create a new office for the Senate: Senate Whip (sort of like the party whips in the US Congress - only this one would be absolutely required to be impartial).

The reason is that on a number of occasions only a few votes have been accumulated for some of the vote threads. If such low attendance becomes the norm, there is the risk that the senate will become somewhat dysfunctional with the new rules for quorums.
Fellow Senators, what think ye?

EDIT: Oops. I forgot a title.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

No. We dont need more red tape.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Pointless. Policy is rare that it needs a majority. The only one we had was the thoughts on a quorum and honestly that sort of vote is rare and far between. Policy changes that come to the senate are few anyways, and bans and such are usually handled with given amount of time with how many voters and their choices(most bans are not of the variety we need a minimum of 26 votes in most cases).

This would create another office with a useless title essentially.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The quorum rules apply to all votes though the requirements are lower (only 40% on non-policy/banning issues) so having someone remind the Senators would not be a bad thing. That said I honestly think it would be a job better left with the Chancellor (or his designated representative) so as to avoid reating additional posts and red tape.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Before this idea totally goes down in flames, I'd like to express my support for, if not a new post, then at least a new responsibility for at least one Senate member, likely the Chancellor. Maybe it could be done through an email list, so all that person would have to do is type up a quick message along the lines of, "Hey, there's a vote on Issue X in the Senate. Please weigh in with your vote. [Link]" and email it to the entire list. It's a shame you can't send multiple PMs simultaneously, because that would work even better.

At the very least, if we have a vote that's dragging on without a quorum, someone should send out some kind of reminder to the rest of the Senate. It probably won't be an issue often, but we ought to have some kind of procedure in place so we're not left scratching our asses if it comes up.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

And here I thought it actually involved whipping the senators until they vote.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

I say we don't need it, but can I have it as a title anyways?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Let me clarify my position somewhat as I realize its more neutral than I intend to be. I think this is a job that NEEDS to get done just as I think the concept of quorums and minimums was neccessarry. I don't think it requires a whole seperate office but it could be very critical to gaining the minimums needed to pass a vote.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

I think it's something that needs to be employed only if, after X time has passed, sufficient numbers of votes haven't arrived, and then send it only to those who haven't voted. I realize it means more work, but I don't see the need of cluttering up the inboxes of those who show up.
Chuck

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

The senate forum doesnt see enough traffic to push votes off the first page in a hurry, they wont get lost in the shuffle...all it takes is senators checking the forum once a bleedin' week.

Do we need to make more red tape to accomplish that?
If they arent checking the forum, odds are that a PM wouldnt help either.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Lord Zentei private messaged me again, with this message:
Lord Zentei wrote:Some clarification on the idea of the Whip:
  • The reason for using PMs is that one can tell whether a PM is actually received, as opposed to an email.
  • It is possible to require that Senators have "send me email notification when I receive PMs" in their profiles, so they will still receive a headsup even if they are not actually browsing the forum.
  • The Whip was to have sent PMs when the poll opened as well as when half the alotted time was up, and then only to those that had not chimed in to the thread in question. The latter of the two is probably the only neccesary one, really.
  • There is really no reason the Chancellor cannot do the job, I just thought that it might be better not to dump all the work for the Senate on one person.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The thing is...we'll just let one of the mods or the creator of the thread if they deem it worthy to do so.

Creating a position that would amount to "Pointless" is the problem. If the vote is one that requires the full majority of the Senate or it won't pass(something that pretty much seems to be shaky ban or rules amendment) then we have either a mod or a Senator to do it.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Actually having the thread creator do so would probably work out best as anyone who puts something to a vote probably wants that vote to pass so it becomes incumbent upon them to see the vote thru.

-Kingdom of Heaven
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

nyet

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

The idea behind this has merit, there is however an obvious solution. Rather than create a new post, why not simply have the person that starts a vote Pm everyone else to let them know it's happening?

This would of course mean finding a way to do mass PM's efficiently. :wink:
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back