[Discussion] Amendment to YUP 6

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

[Discussion] Amendment to YUP 6

Post by fgalkin »

For more than a year, the Keepers of the Lore have kept track of every name change made on this board. However, since no one reads the announcements and sees our list, nobody bothered to inform us of name changes, so we had to find out about them secondhand. Now that users are limited to one name change, the list becomes useful because it allows us to keep track of who already got their name change. Thus, I am proposing an amendment to YUP 6 making the notification of the Keepers of the Lore mandatory. The text of the amendment, to be added to the end of YUP6 is to say"
Also, to keep track of who got their name change, all users seeking one are required to submit their name to the List of Name Changes. To do so, contact fgalkin or any other member of the Keepers of the Lore usergroup and inform them of your name change
The poll will run for 3 days or until every member has voted.

This poll has been removed for now. ~The Wookiee

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Aye, 'tis a polite formality and not too much to ask. It should be so.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Nay. I don't see why people should be required to register their name changes.

BTW, this should have been discussed first before it went to vote.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Dalton wrote:Nay. I don't see why people should be required to register their name changes.
For History man! How else would we ever know whatever happen to IG-88 or Mr Fribble?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Dalton wrote:Nay. I don't see why people should be required to register their name changes.

While the name changes do get a bit confusing at times, some folks, I would imagine, might have a good reason for changing their username and not having the change be proclaimed to the entire Internet on a public sticky.

So, I vote Nay as well.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

arrr!

sorry pirate moment

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Mr Bean wrote:
For History man! How else would we ever know whatever happen to IG-88 or Mr Fribble?
For tracking purposes, actually. Rob, do you remeber every name change you've made over 2 years. Will you remember 3 years from now? If someone gets his name change, and we forget about it, what's to stop them from getting another one? I think the List is now crucial to the enforcement of YUP6, hence my suggestion.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:

While the name changes do get a bit confusing at times, some folks, I would imagine, might have a good reason for changing their username and not having the change be proclaimed to the entire Internet on a public sticky.

So, I vote Nay as well.
Ummm...their name is a public thing, and its possible to find out what it was before the change by going through their posting history. Would you propose disabling searching through that person's posts, or going through every thread the preson posted in and editing the messages by that member quoted by others to mainatain their privacy? If someone wants real privacy, they can re-register with another account.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I'm voting nay here mostly as I feel its a matter that should be held under the purview of moderators. Moreover I'm voting as a protest on procedural matters because, as Dalton said, we SHOULD have discussed this and perhaps debated the language beforeing offering a vote to the floor without even a seconding.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

The SD.Net Chronicle has no authority of any kind. Compelling people to report to them isn't something I'm about to be in favor of them. I vote nay.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Durandal wrote:The SD.Net Chronicle has no authority of any kind. Compelling people to report to them isn't something I'm about to be in favor of them. I vote nay.
May I ask why, considering that the Chronicle is pretty much me myself and me, plus a bunch of other people who do stuff from time to time (the list is maintained by me alone).

And yes, I realize now I should have brought it up for discussion first. Sorry, this whole Senate thing is new to me.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Indeed, because there aren't supposed to be discussions in vote threads. But there's an easy way to fix this.

By the powers vested in me by the Lord Darth Wong, I hereby rechristen this thread a discussion of the aforementioned amendment change and remove the poll. When the time comes we can restart the vote.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

fgalkin wrote:May I ask why, considering that the Chronicle is pretty much me myself and me, plus a bunch of other people who do stuff from time to time (the list is maintained by me alone).
The only obligation any member has to you personally is to follow the rules. Further, obligations to you do not carry over to the groups you happen to be in charge of. Users have to ask admins for a name change anyway, so the admin can log the request however he or she chooses. There's no reason for extra notification.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

I do not think that we need to start adding red tape as it simply unnessary. If the administration feels that it is a good idea to keep a list of name changes for prosterity {or for those of us who cant remember these details} then the Admin who made the change just puts an entry in the appropritate list/s whereever that list may be.
This is a web board not a government beuacracy.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

I would think that a comprimise can be reached. That when someone asks an admin to change their name, that if the name change is approved, the admin at least mentions the Keepers of the Lore and encourages them to notify them.

But I agree that it shouldn't be required in any way.