[Discussion] Conduct and Civility

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

When I see an obvious troublemaker, or someone using smarmy but polite double-speak to pad an insult, I go full-bore into the attack. I have no patience for anyone's veil of civility, when we know perfectly well what they're getting at.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

RedImperator wrote:Senators have the power to propose new policies, vote on titles and bans, and the like, but they do NOT have the authority to issue warnings to regular members. The power to enforce the board rules is and always has been reserved exclusively for the staff.
I'm hoping I never said anything of the sort. The Senators might spot and report them, but never give out warnings - hence my ruling it out at the start of my post.
RedImperator wrote:I don't like the whole idea of a publically viewable me-too list. Any Senator who sees a member doing what he defines as me-tooing puts that member's name on a "watch list" the entire board can read? If you're going to have a list like that, it should be hidden. It defeats the whole purpose of a "graded warning system" and using the thread to collect evidence of possible me-tooing to broadcast their names over the whole board.
I was thinking it would be in the light of a 'Name and Shame' style of thing, not as a McArthy-ist witchhunt list. So a person could see that they are starting to get into trouble and maybe have the sense to back off before the warnings were necessary.

That was the spirit of the suggestion.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stuart Mackey wrote: A graded warning system need not be private, public warnings are just as effective. I think that this it more a case of having a correct procedure before name publication more than anything.
That's the hope. Formalise it and then, if we're going to use it, there are no excuses for the named. A clear track record can be pointed to, the person involved has notice before they ever get warned, and - more importantly - the veracity of the offenses can be monitored (no accusations of being targetted/railroaded because everyone can see just what it was that got them nailed).
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

In all this I recognize that there is little or nothing that can be done if people are rude; the only thing that can really be done is to outlaw a specific type of behavior. The "Poking of Newbies" was a ritual that has fallen from favor after it was felt to be too intimdating and/or insulting-- likewise, people have been chastised for pursuing vendettas from contentious threads into other threads...

"Me-too'ers" and spammers are probably going to see more custom titles, I feel, but hopefully now in the Senate people who feel they have a gripe about treatment can petition for a redress. The thing I'm looking at is people who feel like they've been railroaded or hounded because a personality clash might have overshadowed a debate or discussion; or a personality issue came up that gets in the way of serious discourse.

As I've mentioned before, whiners and people who want to be treated with kid gloves because they're just plain out of their league aren't deserving of a free pass...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!