[Discussion] Protests

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

[Discussion] Protests

Post by Rob Wilson »

Rob Wilson wrote:True, but the Senate should be appraised of any possible protests and might even come up with a better idea for them.
Just to clarify this. I'm all for protests, but they should be effective.

Say for instance the person involved had gone along with that idea (of having 1 character per sentence in their sig). Their sig would have looked daft and chances are no one would know why they did it.

Let'ssay they went to the other extreme and had a sig of 100 characters, with 1 character to a line. That would get their Sig privileges revoked and again not make any real protest.

So what avenues could they pursue? Well by contacting me, he got his unhappiness about the shortening of Sigs aired in here. Fair enough.

BUt I don't want to encourage myself and Senators getting drowned in a flood of PM's. If you want to protest then organise, get one person to PM a single Senator, and list in that PM all those that are protesting. If nothig is done by that Senator then PM another or a Governor. Flooding a Senators or my Inbox will just get your Protest ignored and the perpetrators will lose PM privileges as a minimum!

Because the Senators and Governors actually represent a large cross-section of beleifs and idea's they were already posting Idea's that didn't shorten Sig lengths, the whole checks and balances thing. :wink:

As counte-intuitive as this sounds, a protest that disrupts the board will only get that protest Quashed ruthlessly. You want to have your protest noted, not removed from existance. You want a protest to have an effect, so think them through.

Lashing out like an immature child will get your arguments treated like those of a child. You want to affect change or prevent what you see as an injustice then act like an adult.

Any thoughts from the Senators on this?
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Sounds like the best idea to me. Think of it as a grassroots campaign. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Pretty much what I'd been thinking about privately, let's use it.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Coyote wrote:Pretty much what I'd been thinking about privately, let's use it.
If they wanted to they could have done this :

There is no good reason a Sig should ever be this short! :evil:

Which is exactly 100 characters including code and spaces.

Far more effective and self-explanitory than a bunch of random letters.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Coyote wrote:Pretty much what I'd been thinking about privately, let's use it.
If they wanted to they could have done this :

There is no good reason a Sig should ever be this short! :evil:

Which is exactly 100 characters including code and spaces.

Far more effective and self-explanitory than a bunch of random letters.
To be honest I think that short and snappy "sound bites" are more effective than something that is verbose if one is to stage a protest. I dont see that what we have is insufficiant in that regard.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Stuart Mackey wrote: To be honest I think that short and snappy "sound bites" are more effective than something that is verbose if one is to stage a protest. I dont see that what we have is insufficiant in that regard.
Best to address problems before they happen. :wink: Also, if someone thinks something needs protesting they should at least get it right, everyone thinks in terms of disruption as if that's going to help them in any way. :roll:

This is a privately owned board, you cause the owner headaches, he removes the ability to do so and the 'protest' achieves nothing.

As I said, act like ill-mannered children, get treated like them too.

Image Image
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Rob Wilson wrote:snip

As I said, act like ill-mannered children, get treated like them too.
Oh, quite right, but the internet being what it is.,...

I think that people will protest over whatever mindless thing, I just think that there should be no no leeway on sig sizes as there is no need for it whatever the reason; Existing facilities accomodate it.

If someone wants to put a protest sig in place, then fine, so long as it does not violate board rules. Why someone would do this I dont know, if they cannot accomplish an aim by discusion then protest sigs are pointless on a private board. On this board its an indication that the person that complains does not have a clear idea about their so called point in the first place.

But if someone wants to look like a dick then let them.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------