[Discussion] Sigs, new limits and idea's

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

RedImperator wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Though I see why people might be protesting. There's really no good reason to reduce sig sizes at all. The problem of people with gigantic sigs can be dealt with by enforcing the rules we have.
The a proposal to keep the Non-Senate Sigs the same but maybe increase the Senate Sig limit would be in order, don't you think? :wink:
I'm fine with that. In fact, the Senator from Nova Caesaria proposes we keep the current size limits for regular members, enforce those limits more strongly, and adopt a larger limit for Senators. I know I'm over the current limit, and I think my sig is about as big as good taste would allow.
Since its actually about exactly where I would fall I'll second with the addendum that we should define the exact terms of the counter proposal herein.

To wit I would propose in my seconding:

All members: 600 character
Senators Members: 750 character
Text Size: maximum 14
Formating: One color per line, excepting color changes for emphasis and only in limited use.

Sig pic sizes: 500x150
Picture file size: max 160kB (including animated)

Sigs exceeding any of the above criteria by 10% or more would be subject to immediate removal/editing. Those exceeding by 5% or more subject to a warning prior to removal/editing. Those utilizing improper formatting would be subject to a warning before removal/editing.

Those are the specifics I would like to start with and then work from there through good old fashion debate. In other words I'm not married to any one of those figures but since I'm offering a counter proposal I thought I should add some specifics.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

I've yet to see any issues with sigs that go beyond the normal modding issues (EG idiots insulting others in sigs) and those are swiftly and harshly crushed. Perhaps someone could point me to some violations or somesuch as to why we would be altering sig size. Just to give ourselves a perk (in which case I oppose altering the rules), or is there a more concrete reason behind it, like bandwidth issues or some such.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
RedImperator wrote: I'm fine with that. In fact, the Senator from Nova Caesaria proposes we keep the current size limits for regular members, enforce those limits more strongly, and adopt a larger limit for Senators. I know I'm over the current limit, and I think my sig is about as big as good taste would allow.
Since its actually about exactly where I would fall I'll second with the addendum that we should define the exact terms of the counter proposal herein.

To wit I would propose in my seconding:

All members: 600 character
Senators Members: 750 character
Text Size: maximum 14
Formating: One color per line, excepting color changes for emphasis and only in limited use.

Sig pic sizes: 500x150
Picture file size: max 160kB (including animated)

Sigs exceeding any of the above criteria by 10% or more would be subject to immediate removal/editing. Those exceeding by 5% or more subject to a warning prior to removal/editing. Those utilizing improper formatting would be subject to a warning before removal/editing.

Those are the specifics I would like to start with and then work from there through good old fashion debate. In other words I'm not married to any one of those figures but since I'm offering a counter proposal I thought I should add some specifics.
*stunned* :shock: Someone actually giving a proposal, it must be my birthday. :)

This looks good. Do you want to edit it to add anything about Animated sigs frame rates? Admittedly my OP doesn't have them but they weren't cosidered at the time.

Thanks for taking the time to do that Greg.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Ender wrote:I've yet to see any issues with sigs that go beyond the normal modding issues (EG idiots insulting others in sigs) and those are swiftly and harshly crushed. Perhaps someone could point me to some violations or somesuch as to why we would be altering sig size. Just to give ourselves a perk (in which case I oppose altering the rules), or is there a more concrete reason behind it, like bandwidth issues or some such.
It's a perk, and the lower sigs would aid bandwidth whilst making increases earned. That was the reasoning behind the original idea, not a punishment on the users.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Rob Wilson wrote:*stunned* :shock: Someone actually giving a proposal, it must be my birthday. :)

This looks good. Do you want to edit it to add anything about Animated sigs frame rates? Admittedly my OP doesn't have them but they weren't cosidered at the time.

Thanks for taking the time to do that Greg.
My thought on the animated was that by proposing a file size limit folks would be induced to either adopt small (and thus ignorable) or slow (and thus desireable) gifs in order to fit in under the limit (excepting those who want a larger gif that cycles REALLY fast but only for a second or so). Honestly I'm not sure if 160 is the right line to draw in order to achieve that effect but its a starting point from which others, more technicaly proficient than myself, might be able to weigh in.

Oh yes and if you didn't expect I'd come out with something like this please remember my old STGOD declaration posts :D I have the tendency to over detail rather than under detail.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

As there have been no new posts in here. I'm declaring the discussion over. The Vote thread can be found here.

Image Image