[Discussion] Addition to Voting Rules

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Thanas
Magister
Magister

[Discussion] Addition to Voting Rules

Post by Thanas »

I am not looking for some sort of punishment for anybody involved. Wilkens pointed out to me in PM that there was no rule to this effect and as such, he was well within his rights to start a vote without a discussion first. I disagree, but with the rules as they are, that interpretation is possible.

As it is however longstanding tradition to give the accused a right to speak and to have a discussion before coming to a vote, I hereby move that the following text be added to the rules:
All votes must have a discussion thread before proceding to a vote. There may be no secret motion nor seconds
If there is not a rule in effect to that, I believe it is high time we get one. If this is a matter for another thread, feel free to split this post.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: [Member] Stark removal vote comments

Post by Dalton »

Thanas, I will split these two posts to a new thread.

Split from here.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Re: [Discussion] Addition to Voting Rules

Post by Stuart »

Thanas wrote: I hereby move that the following text be added to the rules:
All votes must have a discussion thread before proceding to a vote. There may be no secret motion nor seconds
I second the motion.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

And, perhaps, "any vote that is initiated without prior discussion is automatically invalid and needs no prior procedure to invalidate it". Just to make sure the carpet is nailed down in all the corners.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I second Coyote's proposed amendment to Thanas' proposal.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

If anyone wants to provide some additional edits to the proposed text to cover all eventualities I'm going to post the vote thread for this tomorrow morning. In other words you have between now and then to post any other proposed edits (it would honestly be rather funny if I took this straight a vote without a discussion before hand :D ).
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Small edit to what I said above, since this is a rather small change I am instead going to call for unanimous consent based upon the following:

Resolved: The following shall be added as Rule 3.E.VI
All motions brought to a vote must have a public discussion thread posted prior to the vote being posted. Only motions made and seconded in such threads will be considered valid.

Unanimous consent is called for. If there are no objections the changes will be made on Monday, if there are objections (either to the specific language or otherwise) the floor will be open for debate for 48 hours before proceeding to a vote on any final motions.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

No objections, the motion passes by unanimous consent.

-Kingdom of Heaven