[Discussion] Mayabird as Fanfic Mod

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

[Discussion] Mayabird as Fanfic Mod

Post by Kuja »

Per this thread.

It seems to be the consensus thus far that a bit more work involved in the CUFF Subforum and the Fanfic forum itself would be welcome. Mayabird posted volunteering for the job-
Aside from the Pantheocide thread currently (which needs to be locked and a new one started since it's past 100 pages, which IIRC meant that it gets difficult to fix when it needs it), how many actual fic threads really need moderating? Yeah, a lot of story responses are little-substance "Yay that was awesome!" posts but that's encouragement for authors who have doubts about their own writing or struggle to continue for fear of sucking, and if it never gets past three or four pages and that's with the story intermixed, what does it matter?

This discussion came up before, and I asked for someone who could archive old completed stories that people liked and actually put them in the completed and cleaned up fanfic subforum. There's a lot of work there that should be done; the stories fall off the main page and they're lost unless someone is really, really bored, but then they won't be able to tell the difference between completed excellent stories and stuff that kinda fell off and stopped after chapter ten or so. All we'd need is someone with some time to go through and make the cleaned threads and a suggestion thread where people like me could chime in with "Ooh! Ooh! That Batman fanfic by Publius! 'A Tale of Gotham Nights' or something!"

Or heck, I'd volunteer for it since it's more "tedious work" than "getting power" and I'm totally into tedious repetitive tasks - I do transcribe bird migration cards online for fun. Don't even have to make the person a real mod, just someone with permissions in the subforum like Stuart currently. And that'd be fine with me as I'd like to avoid the periodic drama.
-and I support her initiative. Although Stravo is a great guy, he obviously has things going on in his life that keep him from his work as a mod here and I think it would be best to either replace him or simply add someone new to the equation.
JADAFETWA
Hotfoot

Re: [Discussion] Mayabird as Fanfic Mod

Post by Hotfoot »

Let her be an example to the rest of them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I support this motion.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Mayabird doesn't seem likely to implode or break Fanfics based on what I've seen of her posting elsewhere on the board and she volunteered to take on a job that wants doing. Seems like a good reason to let her do it to me.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I see no reason whatsoever to oppose this. Fanfics needs a hands-on mod for day-to-day operations, there is a volunteer, case closed.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

I also think this sounds like a sound and workable idea. At the moment, it seems as if Fanfics is almost unmoderated; Mayabird would be an excellent candidate to take on the job.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

If Mayabird wants the job, I say let her have the job. Or at least have someone patrol the place more often. I'm not sure it needs day-to-day supervision, but it could use the occasional mowing.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I heartily concur! :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

I also concur with the proposition of making Mayabird a moderator for the Fanfic forum. She has a good reputation, is willing to do the job and I dare say is also quite capable of doing it also.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think Maya would do a great job.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

While the Senate does not have the power to appoint mods we most certainly can make recommendations.

Mayabird has been nominated and seconded. I call for unanimous consent. If you have an objection please place it here otherwise her posting as Fanfic Mod will be communicated to the Admins as the recommendation of the Senate.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

She's a good choice.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I haven't mentioned it specifically but I did want to let everyone know that with no objections Mayabird has been communicated to the admin staff as the recommendation to fill this position.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

You have admin support on this initiative - Mayabird is a good choice.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Mayabird has become a moderator of the Fanfics forum.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin