Offering Condolences to Alyeska

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Offering Condolences to Alyeska

Post by Steve »

I am not familiar with how many SDNers have lost loved ones since the Senate was formed and I've been told there's little precedent for such a thing as this, but I figured I'd go ahead and try.

As many or all of you may already know, Alyeska's father died this past Friday. Already there is a thread in Off-Topic for offering condolences. However, I believe it would be a nice gesture if the Senate were to make a resolution of some sort to the same effect, a condolence offering as a group as well as individually, perhaps even going so far as to request a message of condolence be put upon the main forum page as a banner.

Proposed text for a Senate resolution:
"We, the Senate, offer our condolences to our friend Alyeska for the tragic loss he and his family have suffered with the death of his father. Our hopes and prayers are with his family and friends as they mourn."

I am open to discussion on all elements of this proposal. Thank you for your attention.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Re: Offering Condolences to Alyeska

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

seconded...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Isn't the motivation for this sort of thing political? Aly's recieved well wishing and support in his time of need; what additional benefit does he recieve by passing some marketing blurb as a motion? Does it make us feel more sensitive?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Steve, thank you. Having said that, I have to politely decline. Everyone has been very kind to me and I read some very nice notes from people. Several were very helpful when I needed a friendly talk and shoulder to cry on, so to speak. I do appreciate the effort, but there is no need to do any more, you all have done so much already. I have had wonderful support and I know everyone is there for me if I need it. Thank you.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

If that is your wish, Aly. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

All other things aside I think it fair to say that all of us collectively and individually are sorry and if it is the least we can do to offer our heartfelt sympathies then it is the least we should do.

I call for unanimous consent and I would request that this thread be kept to its purpose lest there be an objection.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

While putting the message up in the board banner is a nice gesture, there is not a precedent for it. And afterward, will we make a similar banner when the relatives of other SD.net members pass away?

Personally, I'd prefer to keep such banner messages for the life changing events of actual members like Sir Nitram and Stofsk.

I realize, of course, that this is likely a minority view, but if we set the precedent and then we don't recognize the passing of someone's relative results could be ... unpleasant.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice