Israel-Palestine Moratorium

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Israel-Palestine Moratorium

Post by Ted C »

Uraniun235 has suggested lifting the Israel-Palestine moratorium. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but current events in the region would certainly seem to invite discussion. As this was brought up in the House of Commons, I figure its probably worth bringing to the Senate.

Has the moratorium gone on long enough?
Has the situation in the Middle East changed enough to warrant lifting the moratorium?
Would it be possible to have substantive discussion of the topic now?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Re: Israel-Palestine Moratorium

Post by Ender »

No, I don't think the situation has changed enough - in fact, how has the situation really changed at all? Israel is still an intrinsically racist state prompting the Palestinians to select violence as their means for social change, and the continued Arab commitment to the extinction of Israel (in part fueled by the fact it is a racist state) generates enough tension that Israel feels threatened enough to remain a racist state. That's the core issue, and the one that created the division leading to the moratorium. People took sides and argued which part of that balance was worse, with about as much resolution here as there is there.

And I definitely don't think forum demographics have changed enough to allow sane discussion of the issue. If anything I think it has gotten worse. And yes, if pressed I am willing to start pulling a "greatest hits" list of exceptionally stupid positions we have had here lately that we would never have seen back when the moratorium was put in place.

Leave it in place. The only thing that has changed over the years is the names of the people on either side of the issue. Both in real life and here.

My $0.02
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Leave it in place. The recent events in the news only demonstrate that nothing has changed about that part of the world, and will likely never change until the Earth falls into the Sun. Ergo, all the reasons for imposing an IvP moratorium are just as valid today as they were when the moratorium was first enacted.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I don't really see anything as having changed in the past couple years. It's still going to degenerate into a screaming match where the only thing that happens is that people get pissed off at each other for being idiots.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

How about a temporary lift? Give it a sunset clause, say, after a week to see how things are done?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Any lift on the IVP ban would require heavy moderation. Perhaps a single IVP test thread with heavy moderator observance to keep the peace.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

And if you can only lift it with heavy moderation activity, jumping all over people when they 'go too far', then really what is the point of lifting it?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Need I remind you all just because we are talking about the Israel-Palestine Moratorium does not mean the Moratorium is lifted?

Apperntly I do
The Israel-Palestine Moratorium is still in place, violating it is still breaking forum rules, and those who have will be dealt with.
There are two things that can raise the Moratorium, one is Darth Wong coming in and waving his hand and declaring it over and done with. The second is a full senate senate vote. Neither of which has occurred.
Be on notice.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

If people want an IvP debate, let two people agree to a Coliseum match (without a commentary thread) and fight it out there. Otherwise, no way. I'd sanction a nitroglycerin juggling contest first.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

RedImperator wrote:If people want an IvP debate, let two people agree to a Coliseum match (without a commentary thread) and fight it out there. Otherwise, no way. I'd sanction a nitroglycerin juggling contest first.
I concur.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Consensus seems to be against; since my willingness to see the moratorium lifted was tentative and wary anyway, I'll fold my cards and agree that any potential IvP should be reserved for the controlled realm of the Coliseum.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

If anything has changed, the situation has just gotten more hopeless because both sides have become even less able to affect each other. Renewed debate is pointless.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
RedImperator wrote:If people want an IvP debate, let two people agree to a Coliseum match (without a commentary thread) and fight it out there. Otherwise, no way. I'd sanction a nitroglycerin juggling contest first.
I concur.

can I get a ytube link to the Nitroglycerin juggling contest?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

We basically have enough trouble to fix without inviting more trouble by lifting the moratorium.

RedImperator wrote:I'd sanction a nitroglycerin juggling contest first.
That might be a good way to get rid of annoying people on the board :D
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I volunteer to juggle the nitroglycerine in any contest, as long as I get to choose which state of matter it is in. :D

As for the IvP moratorium, well, I don't see what's the point of lifting it. I'm not convinced that many people who have any real interest in it have any chance of actually reasonably discussing the issue with any flexibility. I would be interested in seeing a Coliseum match on the subject, and I concur with Red that no commentary should be allowed*.

(*In fact, I think no commentary should be allowed in any Coliseum match, because too many people will try to use it to debate by proxy. The point is a debate between two people, not two people and the whole of the peanut gallery.)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Gil Hamilton wrote:(*In fact, I think no commentary should be allowed in any Coliseum match, because too many people will try to use it to debate by proxy. The point is a debate between two people, not two people and the whole of the peanut gallery.)
This has been discussed before, but I'd make an exception if both sides agree to it and the subject isn't too controversial. For example, I would see no harm with a commentary thread for the aborted Thanas-Zeon thread (not that there are many people qualified to comment on it to begin with).
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Please tell me the moratorium isn't in place because of fears the debate would become too heated. What site is this again?

I was always under the impression it was there because IvP discussion was drowning N&P. If that's the case then with recent upgrades to the board software there's a vastly better solution: subforums.

An IvP subforum would keep all the nitro juggling contained in its own little box while still allowing people to express their arguments. Is this not why we're all here?
:D
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Spyder wrote:Please tell me the moratorium isn't in place because of fears the debate would become too heated. What site is this again?

I was always under the impression it was there because IvP discussion was drowning N&P. If that's the case then with recent upgrades to the board software there's a vastly better solution: subforums.

An IvP subforum would keep all the nitro juggling contained in its own little box while still allowing people to express their arguments. Is this not why we're all here?
Oh gods, not another subforum. The damned things have been breeding faster than MSRA in a hospital. I believe the moratorium is in place because most IvP debates tend to devolve into the same shouting matches over who's the bigger asshole that have been held ever since there was an I to be matched vs P. As a result, they almost never accomplish anything useful. Sure, if someone wants to debate IvP, let them do it in the Coliseum. Otherwise, it'd be more entertaining to watch the following bit of code execute:

Code: Select all

while(1)
{
     printf("Infinite loop, whee\n");
}
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
Oh gods, not another subforum. The damned things have been breeding faster than MSRA in a hospital.
There are currently 8. An IvP subforum under N&P is hardly going damage the board experience for the average user.
I believe the moratorium is in place because most IvP debates tend to devolve into the same shouting matches over who's the bigger asshole that have been held ever since there was an I to be matched vs P. As a result, they almost never accomplish anything useful.
So what? If it's tucked away in a subforum there's no exposure for the average user unless they click the link.
Sure, if someone wants to debate IvP, let them do it in the Coliseum.
IvP's a huge topic and more then two people will probably want to have a crack at it. Setting up coliseum matches would take a lot mroe work.
Otherwise, it'd be more entertaining to watch the following bit of code execute:
You also have the option of not clicking the link.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Indeed. IIRC, and correct me if I am wrong, the IvP moratorium was due to spam of forum of debates that were all the same and turned to nothing but flames. If enough people want that, and Wong has no problem with it, why not give them their own little shit hole to do so tucked away in a corner some where. As it is, there are plenty of little shit holes for other particular groups on the board, why is this untouchable?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Knife wrote:Indeed. IIRC, and correct me if I am wrong, the IvP moratorium was due to spam of forum of debates that were all the same and turned to nothing but flames. If enough people want that, and Wong has no problem with it, why not give them their own little shit hole to do so tucked away in a corner some where. As it is, there are plenty of little shit holes for other particular groups on the board, why is this untouchable?
I believe it's because we know what it is going to be. It would be loud, busy and eating it's own tail for the sake of eating it's own tail. There's no new ground it is going to tread, no new revelations, and the participants will scream at each other until one side or the other either becomes a nuclear crater or divine intervention causes them to love each other.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Ghost Rider wrote:I believe it's because we know what it is going to be. It would be loud, busy and eating it's own tail for the sake of eating it's own tail. There's no new ground it is going to tread, no new revelations, and the participants will scream at each other until one side or the other either becomes a nuclear crater or divine intervention causes them to love each other.
How can you say there's no new ground when no one's even trying? It may very well end up being loud, busy and eating its own tail but so what? The same thing happens in any controversy. The only difference with every other topic is that someone might wander into an N&P thread and learn something. If providing the opportunity for someone to go in, discuss and maybe even learn a thing or two about the conflict isn't a good enough reason for the subforum then why do we bother with any of it?

Also. it'll be tucked away in a subforum, if you're not going to go in there why would you give a shit what happens in there? What are we afraid of?
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Spyder wrote:Also. it'll be tucked away in a subforum, if you're not going to go in there why would you give a shit what happens in there? What are we afraid of?
Another set of festering boils waiting to burst? If I thought people could get into flamewars over IvP, and then be cool with each other everywhere else, then I'd be a lot less reluctant to lift the moratorium? As it stands now? We've got enough petty vendettas and bullshit feuds as it is.
X-Ray Blues
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

RedImperator wrote:Another set of festering boils waiting to burst? If I thought people could get into flamewars over IvP, and then be cool with each other everywhere else, then I'd be a lot less reluctant to lift the moratorium? As it stands now? We've got enough petty vendettas and bullshit feuds as it is.
Then perhaps we'll get a few more bans out of it. Vendettas and bullshit feuds are symptoms of shit posters, not shit topics. A person who's prone to starting vendettas will likely find plenty of reasons to start one without IvP.

I'll agree that we may see some vendettas begin over IvP, however they're a problem that we'll have to deal with anyway and it allowing the discussion is worth having some arseholes expose themselves for two reasons; It opens the option to discuss IvP to good posters and it brings SDN more inline with its reputation (goals?) as a hard talk debate site.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If there are regular posters who are going to flip out and vendetta/feud/otherwise break the rules, shouldn't we WANT to ban them? I mean, if I was a perfectly well-balanced guy and then started trolling and talking shit with regard to IvP/Batman/quantum physics, wouldn't you just ban me? Shouldn't people with that kind of fixation be banned? We ban people for other 'hot topic' nonsense without batting an eye, after all, and frankly I doubt the hubbub would last beyond one or two high-profile bannings. In any case, these people deserve it whether IvP is blocked or not. It'll just flush out people's irrational or unacceptable board behaviour if we allow it again.