[Discussion] ArcturusMengsk: Ideological Violence

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

[Discussion] ArcturusMengsk: Ideological Violence

Post by Coyote »

In this thread, through the first page or so, ArcturusMengsk advocates ideological violence against Christians.
And just as Emancipation was won, not by the submissive minority, but instead by well-intentioned, crusading members of the majority willing to sacrifice life and limb and social prestige for the cause, so to will this Movement be dominated mostly by heterosexuals - the problem heretofore with the LGBT movement has been its inability to properly create an alliance with members of the majority who do not feel threatened by them. And the watchword must be, peace if possible, force if necessary. The Mormon cult in Utah and the Southern states must be put on high alert by a force of men-at-arms willing to fight and to bleed for the sacred liberties of others, free from the soul-poison of Christianity.
And so I say that, yes, I propose vigilantism, and you may call it thuggery if you wish. I call it necessary, and probably inevitable if historical parallel holds.
When called nothing more than an "Internet Tough Guy", he responded thus:
Ok internet tough guy, you first. You want to violently rise up and oppress a group, go ahead and put your money where your mouth is. Start organizing, arming, etc. I'll follow the news to see if this pans out for you.
Cut me a check and fund my efforts, then, and I will. And I could bring at least ten men into the fold myself if given the munitions, one of them having already been arrested and charged for assaulting a Jehovah's Witness missionary, and being generally more ill-disposed towards the sect than I am. I would have no qualms with it whatsoever. Indeed, several of my friends have already made preliminary plans for such an event, but as a contingency in the case of a general economic collapse, when the theocratic forces will be at their strongest.
Now, we have many reasons to be critical of the Christian church in general and the hard-core evangelical idealogues specifically, but openly advocating hate crimes based on ideology is typically a bad idea, regardless. If a plan is truly being formed to attack Christians with force of arms, I think it is fair to say that this person has not only violated board policies but we should consider reporting to the authorities, if practical.

What say we?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: [Discussion] ArcturusMengsk: Ideological Violence

Post by Patrick Degan »

Seems Mr. Mengsk is skirting the edges of a PR6 violation and —although it doesn't quite fit the definition given— a PR2 violation as well.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Advocating violence against a group based on ideology is bad enough, but this goes beyond that and into the realm of concocting actual plots and schemes. I don't like it.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

His ass should be gone. His actions in that thread constitute hate speech against christians under any reasonable definition I know of. If someone had a sig saying "Hitler had the right idea" this wouldn't be a question and Diocletian wasn't much better.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Personally I'd like to see if he will defend his statements in said thread but the topic at hand is correct.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Ender wrote:His ass should be gone. His actions in that thread constitute hate speech against christians under any reasonable definition I know of. If someone had a sig saying "Hitler had the right idea" this wouldn't be a question and Diocletian wasn't much better.
To play the Devil's Advocate, your egging him on did not help matters in the slightest.

Otherwise, I agree with the general sentiment that AM's comments go beyond "blowing off steam" to "violating board rules and being the sort of person we'd rather have nothing to do with." And as Edi pointed out in the thread, this sort of behavior isn't exactly new for AM.

Here is the first Senate thread featuring the questionable behavior of AM.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
Ender wrote:His ass should be gone. His actions in that thread constitute hate speech against christians under any reasonable definition I know of. If someone had a sig saying "Hitler had the right idea" this wouldn't be a question and Diocletian wasn't much better.
To play the Devil's Advocate, your egging him on did not help matters in the slightest.
His sig and posts were advocating violence before I entered that thread. I may not have raised the bar for intelligent discourse here (which I said in that thread and stand by) , but to frame it as though I encouraged the behavior is false.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I'll motion that AM be subjected to disciplinary action, with voting options of a punitive title, temporary ban, permanent ban, or no action.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'll accept nothing less than a permanent ban for this. Per the record on ArcturusMengsk he has been warned before about threating violence against another member to the point at which he wrote a murder fantasy about it. Lets be blunt, Arcturus is playing with less than a full deck, he needs to be shown the door and kindly informed he should seek professional help.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Given the prior behavior my thoughts would be a perma ban as the best option. I just don't see how titling him or other minimal corrective action can have any positive results with him. That being said as with other discussions where PermaBan is on the table I would request that we not second the motion until everyone gets the chance to get their two cents in. My inclination would be to hold off on any vote until Sunday at the earliest to give folks all day Fri and Sat to add their thoughts, if he merits faster action due to a response in the thread then the Admins can act.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I'm with Bean. It's not the first time Mengsk has strayed into dangerous waters, and advocating violence based on ideology is not something we should accept here. Ban his sorry ass.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Toss him out head first. He had his chance, he ignored it, and this forum will be better without him. Its not as if we need more conflict in this bloody place.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Ban his ass. I don't want to associate with him at all and his twisted little fantasies don't have a place on SD.net.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Who did Mengsk post a murder fantasy about, and where is the link? I want to see that--I don't remember it and can't find it, and if I see prove of that I'm going to support an immediate permban.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

You are so welcome

Yes, he most certainly deserves a ban.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

An isolated emotional lapse might be somewhat excusable, but in several subsequent posts he repeatedly insisted that he was being sincere. Hence, it would only be proper to take this matter very seriously.
"The fool saith in his heart that there is no empty set. But if that were so, then the set of all such sets would be empty, and hence it would be the empty set." -- Wesley Salmon
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

*reads, stares, navigates away, reloads, reads again, stares*

Uhm, christ. The only option on that poll should be a permban.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I am inclined to agree. Time to airmail his ass off the board. He had his chance.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Another canidate for Room 101.

and if you can't figure out that refrence you had an incomplete education.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Having read some other posts by AM, I stand by my original proposal: the poll should have four options.

It will be so much more meaning full when "kick the bum out" completely trounces all the other options in the poll.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

From a denizen:
If the consensus is that Arcturus's statements constitute inciting violence, and if it is felt that his statements constitute a statement of intent to carry out an illegal action, I must agree that it is only propper to notify law enforcement. I don't want to land some idiot who was just talking big in serious legal trouble, but I feel its better to be safe than sorry. Besides, I wonder if notifying the propper authorities now might save SDN some legal trouble later on. I might be inclined to let it go if he apologized and retracted his comments, but even then I would likely question the sincerity.

Please share my opinion with the Senate if you wish, but please respect my annonymity, given the nature of this subject.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Ted C wrote:I'll motion that AM be subjected to disciplinary action, with voting options of a punitive title, temporary ban, permanent ban, or no action.
I support this wholeheartedly.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's OK to hate Christianity and its adherents, it is not OK to advocate killing people merely because you hate their belief.

Let's ban his ass.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The worst I've ever done, is answer the door and talk to the JW's in my undies, and offer to loan them a copy of some Niezche or Crowley's translation of the book of changes....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:The worst I've ever done, is answer the door and talk to the JW's in my undies, and offer to loan them a copy of some Niezche or Crowley's translation of the book of changes....
You in your undies might be considered a Crime Againat Humanity; we'd have to ask Amnesty International. Or maybe the best thing to do would be to ask yourself "What Would Gitmo Do?"

Seriously, it sound slike we have enough interest to warrant a poll.