Moderator Recruitment Thread

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Moderator Recruitment Thread

Post by RedImperator »

OK, folks. Wanna be a mod? Post here. We need three pieces of information from you:

1. Your interests. Please be specific--list all forums and how much you participate in each one. Also, tell us if there is a forum you absolutely do not want to moderate, or (this is critical) one you feel you cannot or should not moderate.

2. Your availability. This is obvious.

3. Your time zone. Ideally, the most active forums will have moderation most of the day.

Once we have this information, we can start making some decisions.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Moderator Recruitment Thread

Post by K. A. Pital »

1) Interests: history, politics, economy, industrial technology, science fiction
Off-topic: always active, human topics, questions by members on various OT subjects, movie reviews and opinion sharing are what I participate in. Many topics are close to my interests. I stay out of prevalent US sports threads for obvious reasons.
History: one of the Subforums' prime backers and participants. All or most topics are of interest to me.
N&P: always active, political topics and moral dilemmas raised in "human interest" stories draw me alike, internal US politics, geopolitics, energy and financial topics all are close to my interests.
Other Sci-Fi: semi-active, not all sci-fi topics interest me for a lack of ability to say anything or even see the material discussed (Stargate and Doctor Who immediately come to mind, I stay out of those threads period). Most other commonly mentioned franchises however do interest me, from various sci-fi animes to Transformers and WH40K
Fanfics: little activity. Some renewed activity recently, but I don't know for how long it will last. Hardly read anything there except what interest me (Stuart's Armageddon).
AMP: little activity. I mostly post photos, but I rarely look at what other people post unless it's something that interests me particulary.
PSW: moderate activity. I used to love Star Wars a lot, but the EU franchise is a dissappointment now and the movies are finished. I'm not fascinated with the recent Clone Wars series, and I'm a little more optimistic about the coming live action series. I know all about EU up to NJO, which is the point where I lost interest and know little if anything about NJO and post-NJO EU.
Gaming and Computers: little activity. There's rarely a game I want to play and thus rarely a topic to discuss with others.
STGOD RPG: high activity. I play SDN World. However, I do not feel qualified to moderate anything outside of it, in fact, and not even qualified to moderate SDNWorld itsef as a lone game, this is the forum I most certainly cannot moderate.
If other forums are not listed, means the activity is neglible. Means also I'm unfit for moderating those.

2) Availability: on-job availability is GMT 3:00 AM to GMT 12:00 AM, from Monday to Friday. Other days i.e. holidays and state holidays, as well as during vacations, available sporadically.

3) Time zone: Omsk, GMT+6
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Alright. Considering I've been saying that the board desperately needs more moderation, I'm just dropping my prior statements and volunteering for it, because if someone demands that something happen, they better be the first to volunteer, too. Responsibility is a positive feedback cycle in me, anyhow:

1. Fanfic: I'm one of the very major contributors here, aiding new authors (Mayabird, Eris, MarshalPurnell) in establishing themselves as well as posting extensive independent and collaborative works. It's unquestionably, in ratio of my activity / posts, the most important forum to me and the one that I hold by far the most dear.

ARSE: Well, this is obvious. I'm the board's most open transwoman, and bisexual, and, well, very poly-friendly too, we'll put it that way, so that I can really and strongly represent alternative sexualities there and make sure discussions stay friendly and welcoming. I'd unquestionably love to have the opportunity to help manage ARSE and I think Tevar would be a good teacher for me anyway. And not merely in alternate sexuality threads have I been active there, but also in things like dating help and online dating threads and so on, where I've tried to generally offer advice to the board.

HOS: I'd already tossed my name in to be a Horseman, and I am, like most of the old ASVS veterans, a damn good flamer, sometimes too good for my own good so to speak in other areas of the forum. I really seriously think I'd be pretty good as a Horseman and that I could come into my own there.

History subforum: I love this forum and browse regularly, but haven't really participated to date because of the involved nature of history posts, which don't really mesh with my current tech-heavy lifestyle, so to speak. But I read most everything in it, and follow things closely. I'd love the job.

SLAM: Ethics, philosophy, science are all areas of attraction and I've kept up, well, a moderate level of posting here. I certainly wouldn't mind the job and I do browse it regularly.

N&P: I think that with my changed political views I COULD moderate it, but I SHOULDN'T because there's way, way to much bad blood that's accumulated from my prior political stances and the flamewars I got in over them which will take years of my being a leftist to dissipate.

Offtopic: I definitely, unquestionably cannot moderate this forum. It massively bores me, and so I could not force myself to chokingly read through most of the threads in it as a matter of responsibility.

2. Availability is functionally unlimited. I browse on my laptop or school computers between classes and sometimes in class, the moment I get home I flip on the computer and always have a window popped open to SD.net, I'm a consummate multitasker about to come into a University internet connection. My availability is basically as close to continuous as someone can imagine, since the vast majority of my social life is online, too, and I can only really study in my private little nook and cranny, so I browse and study at the same time, and usually even prepare and eat food at home rather than going out.

3. North American Pacific Time, alternating standard and daylight savings.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

RedImperator wrote:OK, folks. Wanna be a mod?
I'll throw my hat into the ring.
Post here. We need three pieces of information from you:

1. Your interests. Please be specific--list all forums and how much you participate in each one.
SLAM and OSF are where I make my meatiest contributions, and where the bulk of my interest lies. I make lesser contributions in N&P, Off-Topic, and History, although I read through those forums frequently. I have only limited interest in G&C (I'm more into computers than gaming,) and only read through AMP, PST, PSW, and Fantasy forums once or twice a week.
Also, tell us if there is a forum you absolutely do not want to moderate, or (this is critical) one you feel you cannot or should not moderate.
I don't think I'd make a very good ARSE mod, and I read through the topics on SWvST so infrequently it's not even funny. Finally, I feel Stas Bush would make a far, far better History mod than I would, and am too enchanted with the idea of The Duchess, Mr Coffee, Havokeff, and Stark as Horsemen to want the HoS.
I'm on throughout the day and well into the evening during the weekdays. On weekends, it's more the early morning and evenings.
3. Your time zone. Ideally, the most active forums will have moderation most of the day.
GMT -7:00 (American Mountain Standard Time.) As I live in Arizona, I'm effectively on Mountain Time for half the year, and Pacific Time when the rest of the US is on DST.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

testing: I wnat to oppress masses, and steal interesting threads back to the BOTM
Games & Gaming (PST 8pm to 2am daily), hey a few more couldn't hurt
Fantasy: sure
AMP: ooooh pretty pictures, what this doesn't belong here

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

What the heck, I'll toss my hat in the ring as well.

Availability: I tend to be on during work days, 7;30 am to 4 pm, and a little bit in the evenings, on no set schedule. Rarely on weekends, but it's been known to happen.

Your time zone: United States Mountain Time Zone.

INTERESTS:
Science Fiction and Fantasy Section:
Star Wars vs Star Trek /SWvST; Pure Star Wars /PSW; Pure Star Trek /PST; Other Sci-Fi /OSF; Fantasy /FAN:

Not in here very much, but it also doesn't get used very much either. I'd be willing to mod this, however, because I think I can be impartial if something does come up. I think SW would win, of course, any hypothetical fight but it doesn't detract from my ability to enjoy Star Trek or any other SF. I enjoy most science fiction and I'm not partisan to any one or the other.

Fanfics /FF:
Subforum: Completed or Cleaned Up Fanfics:

This would not be so much moderating for arguments or evidence, but janitorial-- cleaning up stories, moving things hither & thither, occassionally chasing of the overly chatty or people being obnoxious in the criticisms. I can easily mod here.

Non-Fiction:
Science, Logic, And Morality /SLAM
Subforums: Debating Help, Library

I can break up arguments or dogpiles, but I am not a number-cruncher so would not be able to get too involved in overly scientific discussions. Actually, that may be a good point on my behalf... :wink:

Off-Topic /OT:
Subforum: History Forum

I'm here a lot and think it would make a good "House of Commons" type area. I wouldn't want to step on, say, Stas's toes if he were the History mod, but I could mod this area effectively and support whoever was the top dog in History.

Artwork, Music and Photos /AMP:
Subforum: Art Gallery

Much like FanFics, this is more janitorial than head-cracking. I could do this quite well, I think.

News and Politics /N&P:
One of my favorites! I'm there a lot. I think overall I remain calm & detatched enough to mod this effectively.

Gaming and Computers
Subforum: STGOD role-playing games

I would probably be "minimally" effective here, since I really just participate in the occassional STGOD.

Adult Relationships & Sex Education /ARSE:
I really don't go here at all, so I doubt I'd be effective modding here.

Hall of Shame
I would not want to mod this, since I'd rather leave this to the Horsemen.

The Coliseum
I could referee the Coliseum effectively.

The Imperial Senate
Wouldn't this be a conflict of interest for me? I couldn't mod here.

Testing
There's modding in Testing? GTFO! Seriously, I wouldn't want this.

Mess Hall
Ha, I'm already minimod here. I just want to be stinking drunk with power. Well, actually just stinking drunk.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Okay, folks. It's been a month, and counting myself, there have been five applicants. In the interest of recent discussion in the HoC, I'm going to give this thread a bit of a bump and see if we can't scare up more interest.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

See related thread for open nominations in the House of Commons
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I ought to volunteer for consideration.

Availability: I make it a point to read the forums twice a day; once before noon and once in the evening. This is possible most days of the week, and sometimes I an here even more than that.

Time Zone: US Eastern Standard Time, a.k.a. GMT -5.

Interests: OPPRESSION

Seriously:
All fiction forums: I only rarely browse these and thus should not be considered to moderate them.

SLAM: Little activity. I typically browse once per visit, but most of my posting there was shortly after I joined. I think I made all of one post there in 2008 and only a handful in 2007. I'm involved little enough in SLAM that I wouldn't feel comfortable at the helm.

OT and History: Always browse it when I am here; my posting is pretty consistent even though it is light. I would prefer to see someone like Stas in charge of History,though.

AM&P: Another always-browse. Thanks to the active photography threads, I post a fair bit (by my standards) in this forum now.

N&P: Always browse, usually multiple times a visit. Actual posting activity varies depending on what topics are getting attention. Impartiality would not be a concern for me, but assertiveness might.

G&C: I pretty much never even browse this forum, and so should not be considered to moderate it.

ARSE: Given that I only browse this a couple of times per week at most, I wouldn't be very effective here.

Coliseum: The dueling ground aspect was my pet proposal, so I'll gladly chip in to help make it possible.

Senate: If it's decided that the Senate needs formal moderation I'd be available to do it, but the idea seems questionable in the first place.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

RedImperator wrote:1. Your interests. Please be specific--list all forums and how much you participate in each one. Also, tell us if there is a forum you absolutely do not want to moderate, or (this is critical) one you feel you cannot or should not moderate.
Interests: Science, scientific philosophy, religion & anti-apologetics, economics, some history, politics & political philosophy, foreign policy philosophy.

Forums and my general current browsing habits:
  • SWvST: I drop in here maybe once every few months. Then, it's not a very active forum, so that's fine.
  • PSW: I haven't even peeked in here in about a year. Kind of a shame, but c'est la vie.
  • PST: I think I've made two posts in here. Total.
  • Fanfics: I'm not a regular, by any means, and I don't keep up with many fanfics (Armageddon a notable exception), but I have contributed here in the past. Since I have neither the time nor the inclination to
  • OSF: About as frequently as SWvST.
  • Fantasy: I'll pop in here from time to time for Harry Potter discussions, but my interests in this field aren't nearly broad enough to really effectively moderate.
  • SLAM: This is one of my board homes. I post here frequently, and read most of the threads. I could certainly help
  • OT: I'm generally in here on a daily basis, too, though I don't currently read all of the topics.
  • AMP: I drop in from time to time to check on Havokeff's artwork and maybe, a couple of times per year, on the member pic thread. Not a regular, though.
  • N&P: This is my other board home. If I were part of a larger moderator team, I'd volunteer to help patrol N&P; if I kept posting dialed back, I could certainly keep up on the threads, especially now that election season has died down and the huge-ass eighty-gazillion page Sarah Palin thread is gone.
  • G&C: I'm not in here often at all.
  • ARSE: This is a slow enough forum that I can keep up with it, although I don't know that I have the life experience to moderate it effectively. IMHO, LadyTevar, Hipper, RI, and Lagmonster do an effective job.
  • Testing: I can help keep these motherfuckers in line, if nothing else.
This is what I'm concerned with, and why I didn't initially apply when the thread was created. My availability currently goes as school workload, so I'm on less around finals time. Moreover, I have family concerns: being married, I need to devote time to my wife as well as to school, and starting next summer, I'll also be a dad. So in the long run, I would probably be one of the less-active mods if I were chosen.

Nonetheless, I still usually have time to check the forum twice daily, once in the early morning and once in the early evening. I have dialed back posting because it generally takes time to produce a quality comment, but I can still usually keep up with threads. It doesn't take much effort, I guess, to ruthlessly oppress content-less posts, me-tooing, and dogpiling.
Eastern, both standard and daylight.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Interests: Well PSW is the one I check the most, after that I guess OSF. PSW has Vympel as a mod though, and it isn't very active. So really the only reason to hand that off would be if you shifted him somewhere else. OSF has Necronlord and Fgalkin for it, and it is also pretty slow, so the only reason to hand that to me would be to free them up to focus on their other business. Those are really the only ones I'm interested in. I don't have the desire nor the rigor to mod the "real life" forums.

Availability: No longer deploying, so now my availability is determined by schoolwork. I'm generally pretty available I guess. I usually check this place multiple times a day, to the point of clicking random things to kill time.

Timezone: US Central time.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

EDIT: I guess I was too late :-\ I wish someone had stated a deadline for this ... I didn't see the thread until this morning.

Interests: I'd gladly consider moderating PSW, PST, or SW v. ST. I check each daily/close to daily and post when I can. I can't break that down with stats, but apart from Babylon 5 discussions in OSF, I'd guess most of my posts are divided among the former three forums.

Since I tend to have a special place for underdogs, PST's probably my first choice. Moreover, I think I know Trek better than I do even Star Wars.

My availability? Wide open. I've had little work on my table since I got out of the hospital; besideswhich, the little I do have coming in still sees me online more often than not.

I'm Eastern Standard, ~0700-1900 hours.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Well, the vote threads are already up, but, depending on if the Admins accept or reject the recommendations of the crowd, there may yet be more recruitment.

Right now, really, even if everyone running gets accepted, there could still be room for more. The final decision really comes down to DW and his staff.