[Discussion] New Senators and participation

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

[Discussion] New Senators and participation

Post by Ghost Rider »

This is from Mr Coffee:
So how about setting some participation guidelines for the senate. Don't participate in the discussions or votes, then slap them with a Senator Emeritus title and make room for a new senator that will actually participate.

Instead of the Senate choosing new candidates and voting on them, how about once every one or two months open a public thread in OT and let the general membership toss out some candidates and let the Senate narrow the list from there before voting. That way the "plebes" have a say in who gets to be part of the board leadership and the Senate still has final say on who their members will be.
Personally the first part does have some merit. Some have left for other areas, be it the board or personal with barely any word.

As for the second, that can be debated amongst you, but it does foster the thought that the Senate is leading or trying to being a body of the people rather then incestual voting amongst itself.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Re: [Discussion] New Senators and participation

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

We actually currently have rules about how much Senators must participate.

I do however like the reverse of this idea, sort of. Instead of having plebes nominate Senators, why don't we have the Senators nominate prospective Senators and then let the plebes vote on which one they prefer to be elevated to the Senate?

That lets the Senate create a list of people with acceptable traits to be Senators, and then the plebes can choose which one they want in the Senate the most.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Ghost Rider wrote:Personally the first part does have some merit. Some have left for other areas, be it the board or personal with barely any word.
I have no objection to this in principle, but the Senate rules would need to be updated to reflect the requirements for participation. Also, one of the officers of the Senate (the Whip, perhaps?) would need to be charged with monitoring and reporting minimum participation.
Ghost Rider wrote:As for the second, that can be debated amongst you, but it does foster the thought that the Senate is leading or trying to being a body of the people rather then incestual voting amongst itself.
Should the number of Senators be fixed then? That would mean that nominations and voting would be required whenever a Senator left, for whatever reason.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I do however like the reverse of this idea, sort of. Instead of having plebes nominate Senators, why don't we have the Senators nominate prospective Senators and then let the plebes vote on which one they prefer to be elevated to the Senate?

That lets the Senate create a list of people with acceptable traits to be Senators, and then the plebes can choose which one they want in the Senate the most.
I don't see any immediate problems with this suggestion.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I don't see a reason why the number of Senators should be fixed, since that means that if we get to a point where all the Senators are participating actively then we can't add anymore. I suggest instead that they be held in a rough ratio to the board's population. Currently there is (at 51 Senators), 1 Senator for every 58 accounts on the board. Let's say that the population of Senators cannot exceed 1 Senator for every 40 accounts, or be less than 1 Senator for every 60 accounts--or more precisely, elections are automatic in the later case, and in the former case, are frozen.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

So real quick:

- I already maintain a current roll of active and inactive Senators 9one merely ahs to look at all of my administrative Minutiae posts). I've said before and I'll say again that if the abscence goes on for too long that I will bring the matter forward but as of yet I've not had anyone reach the magically trip line of 1 year inactive without request.

- I like Marina's proposal...except that the forum is open each month starting on the 2nd and we've now gone roughly 6 months without a nomination. I'd much rather rescind the "plebe's can't suggest a nomination" rule and then allow folks to advocate to Senators/Governors to put a name forward but otherwise keep the existing structure for admission.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

The rules of the Senate say that senators "get to discuss board policy." When did this become an obligation instead of a privilege? When did the Senate become the board legislature? The proposal appears to stem from a misunderstanding of the Senate's role.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I agree with Publius. Senatorial position is not a Moderating one where you are tasked actively. The Senate is "tasked" in a passive fashion, meaning it can (and should if it has the time), but is not obliged to make changes and vote on proposals for the entire Board.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Publius wrote:The rules of the Senate say that senators "get to discuss board policy." When did this become an obligation instead of a privilege? When did the Senate become the board legislature? The proposal appears to stem from a misunderstanding of the Senate's role.
Agreed. For all those who think the Senate is uppity now, imagine if the Senate is filled full of people vying for the position on the planks of 'change' every so few months.

Now, if you want plebes to make a list of prospects the Senate votes on from time to time to make Senators, I'm game with the idea. Make the Senate into the body that has to make rules and you're courting hell.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red