[Discussion]Chancellor

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Hotfoot

Re: [Discussion]Chancellor

Post by Hotfoot »

Connor MacLeod wrote:I have to admit I'm not exactly happy with the prospect of replacing Rob. Mainly because he was something of a unique individual he was both logical and a good debator, but also quite cheerful and charasmatic and could really bring more than just smarts to a debate. And those qualities really tend to shine when he was Chancellor. I do agree we're suffering from his lack of presence, but not just because he was Chancellor, but because it was Rob as Chancellor. I do believe putting another chancellor in his place would not really "fix" things per se, but it would more likely change the nature of the Senate - and its already been changing (Its alot less lighthearted than it was. Where's the corruption??)

I am fine with the idea of adding a Deputy chancellor though, and Stas would be a good choice there. I am also against the idea of making it a moderating position. If there's somehow a lag or delay in executing decision, then we can be adding more mods/supermods (I knwo at least we were INTENDING to add mods..)
Look, I love Robbo, I do, but if he's not here, he can't influence anything. Think of if Mike left the board tomorrow. Everyone kept running it, but Mike was never around. After a while, it wouldn't be his board anymore. Without his presence, things start to change.

So with all due respect, the change to the Senate is already here. We need to correct for this by having someone act in Rob's stead. When he comes back and cooks us all a lavish meal, he can have the reins, but until then we should have someone who is willing and able to wield the power and the authority of the position.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Agreeing with Skimmer, making the Senate more "efficient" trying to optimize it for problems which are frankly beyond it's scope of discretion, like votes on the fate of all individual users is pointless in my view as well.

This is Moderating problem, not a Senate problem par se. The Senate should get less frequency, but more substance in reports and votes. The Mods can handle the rest, and expanding our Moderator Staff to include new active moderators might be a better solution than doing anything with the Senate.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Stas Bush wrote:Agreeing with Skimmer, making the Senate more "efficient" trying to optimize it for problems which are frankly beyond it's scope of discretion, like votes on the fate of all individual users is pointless in my view as well.

This is Moderating problem, not a Senate problem par se. The Senate should get less frequency, but more substance in reports and votes. The Mods can handle the rest, and expanding our Moderator Staff to include new active moderators might be a better solution than doing anything with the Senate.
Yes and no. Staffing problems have been evident. You can say 'more mod power' but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. While the Senate is psuedo government, it is a little bit government and thus has, imo, taking up the slack a bit.

Perhaps that is the genesis of the frustration with the Senate, it being the body trying to fill the void where it doesn't have the power to fill. Remember the N&P dust up where ' better moderatorship' was mentioned repeatedly and yet wasn't made.

I'll agree to more active mods on any proposal since they can stamp down the bullshit. May not be the bullshit you like/dislike but they'll do it if motivated. I agree tenitively with Marina in that a Senate supermod could more easily enact Senate decree's, but with being a senate animal would be constrained by the Senate. A random mod or super mod is only answerable to mike, perhaps the moderator 'group'.

Take your pick.

Either way, more enforcement is better imo. Long run, may not be.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

So on the note of the overall idea of shaking up the staffing situaiton I've mentioned working on a revision to the rules and I'm trying to tweak out a couple different variants to put before everyone that would allow for replacing Rob and otherwise re-organizing the Senate. If folks like the proposals then we could put it to a vote.

Highlights:
- Creates rules for electing a Chancellor similair to how we currently elect the Whip
- Edits on a few nomination/voting related rules to clarify and speed the process
- Eliminate the "barred for suggesting nomination" rule
- New rules for removing existing senators both for cause and by choice.

I've essentially worked out variants that have some or all of the above changes and I'm just trying to get them formatted to be easily digestible before placing them up for review.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven