FY 2009 Spending Bill - Discussion

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

FY 2009 Spending Bill - Discussion

Post by Surlethe »

Since we've gone 2008 without a budget, we ought to shape up and formalize our spending habits. Also, I've registered some complaints from plebs about corruption. They want transparency in spending. The whiners have been crucified by the gates, but in the interest of representing the constituency, I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

*shuffles papers*

Okay. So, here's the SDN budget proposal for the fiscal year 2009.

Section I - Administrative Expenses

The administration would like $500,000,000 to upgrade to new board technology. This will cover the new technology and use for a decade, as well as living expenses and a trip to the Bahamas for the entire moderating staff, Other than that, when I sent plebs to ask Dalton and Mike what sort of money they need for administrative costs, I received notes back handwritten in blood saying, "If we want it, we'll take it." The plebs were never seen again.

Section II - Usergroup Expenses
  • The Brotherhood would like to install another set of secret monkey labs, and are asking for $30,000,000 to cover construction costs, extra-dimensional fees, etc.
  • GALE wants another Orgasmatron ("since the SOS:NBA have two, we should have two as well"). Cost is $5,000, plus $2,000 in customizations and $82,000 in health insurance.
  • The Knights Astrum Clades have asked for more soundproofing of their walls, because they're right next door to SLAM. I don't see why not; the cost is only about $2,000. Also, they want twenty fresh copies of the Bible in each of these versions: Catholic, KJV, NIV, Mormon, and NRSV. They're complaining that their copy is a hand-me-down from SLAM and has notes in the margins, pages torn out, and "obscene drawings" in the cover, Cost is going to be less than $5000.
  • Supporters of Chris ... no request that I've heard.
  • The Keepers of the Lore, by fgalkin's request, would like $10,000 for completing, editing, printing, and distributing the Grand History of SDN. Also, fgalkin would like a requisition of labor to "get the goddamned thing done".
  • The Writer's Guild would like new lights installed to help the reading; that'll be less than $30. When I asked RedImperator if he needed anything else, he replied with an obscene comment about my mother.
  • The HAB is requesting ... $32,000,000,000,000 for "resource exploitation, weapon systems development and production, munitions production, and mobile biological bullet absorption device requisition". It also explicitly denies that this $32,000,000,000,000 will go toward resource exploitation, weapon systems development and production, munitions production, and ple- er, mobile biological bullet absorption device requisition. The Great Leader would also like to add that this is all completely above-board and transparent, that failing to support the war effort is tantamount to high treason, and that he expects a unanimous vote on this section of the bill.
  • Mecha Maniacs would like another copy of Big O -- about $50 -- and they're also applying for a restraining order against the HAB.
  • Former members of SEGNOR have been agitating for a reinstitution of the usergroup. I accidentally crunched some of their picket line under my shoes on my way in this morning.
  • SOS:NBA would like $73,000 for running costs. When I asked what they needed it for, they just giggled and shooed me away from the ladder up to their multistory treehouse.
  • The Justice League wants another shipment of comic books, and are asking for $2,000 to pay for them.
  • The Mess would like $100,000 in MWR money for games, having the MWR hut wired for electricity, some AC, and five bids from minority/small business owners. And they might come back asking for supplemental funding. They also want a microwave that isn't jury-rigged from old Korean War comms gear. To date for their MWR they have a Quonset Hut from 1944, 12 Parcheesi sets, and a game of Monopoly (Napa Valley edition). Apparently the MWR committee spent all of the requisited money on booze and hookers, Knife.* The Mess is also requesting supplemental "Pay us so we don't conquer you" appropriation of $180,000,000,000 to cover all other expenses.
  • Cybertron have requested $9,000 for a full DVD box set of Beast Wars, the thermite to destroy it utterly, and new trappings for the ceremony.
  • The Black Mages are requesting $927,200,000,000 for undisclosable materials to look into the well-being of the local cosmic fabric. The leader of the Black Mages avers that this is in no way connected to his request for a Jefferson Bible being turned down by the KAC.
Section III - Senatorial Funding

Committee funding will cost an estimated $85,000,000. This includes the proposed Committee to Investigate Alleged MWR Funding Mishaps, chaired by the Hon. Knife; the standing Committee Investigating the Misuse of Senatorial Prestige and Power; the several Acquisition Committees (Carnal Pursuits, Imbibement, and Second-hand Monetary Compensation); the Disciplinary and Legislative Committees; and the various other committees I can't remember right now.

The Hon. Noble Ire has proposed opening a small Senatorial footwear account of $400,000 to provide appropriate footwear for the various Senators as they conduct official business.

Section IV - Tax Income

I have received several complaints about "unfairly high taxes". The complainers have all been crucified by the gates with the other whiners, but in the interest of representation, I propose we decrease income taxes on the plebs to a 113% flat tax with no loopholes (please note that this does not include the Section 36 Title CIX HAB Tax on Pleasure and Fun).

Section V - Special Projects
  • The Hon. Connor MacLeod has requested approximately $80,000 in funding so that MRDOD can manage real life and play Dwarf Fortr3ss.
  • The Hon. Connor MacLeod has also requested $200,000 to funnel to the Hon. Chuck Sonnenburg so that the latter can focus more entirely on SfDebris and OVEG.
  • The Sub-Committe on Lettering, Typesetting, Linguistics, and the Appreciation of the Finer Things has recently noted a dangrous dcline in the availability of ncessary vowls, and reports that this depltion is a srious threat to our way of life. Threfor, they are urging immdiate and substantial funding of $457,000,000.46 to fund drilling into the Stratgic Vowl Reserv, rsearching altrnat and sustainabl vowl sourcs, and a fact-finding mission to the Frnch Rivira to "see what it's like".

What say ye, members of these hallowed chambers? Begin discussion!

*Be it also noted for the record that Publius voted himself funds to purchase vintage GI Joe figures, so it wasn't all beer and hookers.
Last edited by Surlethe on 2008-02-01 08:36am, edited 1 time in total.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I propose that the aforementioned crucifixions be relocated further from the main roadways, or at least be performed without the messy flaying that the current disciplinary staff is fond of.

Alternatively, I would be open to the addition of a small senatorial footwear account to the yearly budget. $400,000 should be sufficient; rhino skin does not come cheap.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I strongly object to the insinuation that MWR money was spent on booze and hookers. I hearby suggest a commition is set up to investigate these claims and is aloted booze and hooker money for its operation.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

# The Knights Astrum Clades have asked for more soundproofing of their walls, because they're right next door to SLAM. I don't see why not; the cost is only about $2,000. Also, they want a fresh copies of the Bible; they're complaining that their copy is a hand-me-down from SLAM and has notes in the margins, pages torn out, and "obscene drawings" in the cover, Cost of an NIV for them is going to be less than $50.
Surlethe has misread a portion of the appropriation request from the Knights Astrum Clades.

We are requesting new copies of the BIBLES... Catholic, KJV, NIV, and Mormon. We also would like a copy of the Annotated Sceptic's Bible, for research purposes. Twenty copies of each should be enough to stock the Library and allow the Knights to compare and contrast scriptures.

Please do NOT give us the Gideon's version, thank you.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I demand we funnel more money to two particular projects:

1.) Dwarf Fortress for my own amusement. ITs clear that poor MrDOD is having difficulty with real life interfering with my Dwarf Fortress enjoyment. IT is obvious that jobs and school and all those other unneccessaries are complicating the DwarF Fortress experience and therefore money must be funneled to eliminate them while maintaining her existencve.

2.) More OVEG and SfDebris in general. One of the other amusing parts of the forum for me is ALSO being hampered by this evil phenomenon known as real life, and it must be crushed vehemently, so that Chuck may accelerate all his SfDebris projects.

I wholly endorse shifting all available funding from other projects, including the HAB, because the HAB does not nearly amuse me as much. Any dissenters shall be eliminated by disintegration booth and/or giant asteroid.

Edit: This also supersedes any and all other requests, including religious paraphenalia.

I also call upon fellow senators Yosemite bear and Kuja to support me, at least where the Dwarf Fortress funding is concerned, because it directly impacts upon them.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

*Cough* Cybertron has a request for the full DVD box set of Beast Machines.. Again. And a request for enough thermite to destroy said box set in ceremony.. Again.

The Black Mages seek $927.2B for undisclosable materials related to the well-being of the local cosmic fabric. This is in no way connected to my request for a Jefferson Bible added to the Knight's collection being denied.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

You can take a chunk out of the HAB like I do. Its quite ironic and pleasing in a way, depriving tanks to feed your giant robot addiction.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Librarian of the Knights, TheDark, corrected the list of books needed for me.
M'lady, you forgot the NRSV. I only have two copies, and only one with the Apocrypha, which is nae quite enough for the entire Knights. No good scholar should be without that version.
While my dear colleague Conner may differ in his opinion, I feel that a complete library of religious texts would be most helpful to the Knights, as well as to the board in general. After all, the best way to argue your point is to know what the other person is thinking, is it not? How better to smash the neo-con fundies than by knowing their own Bible better?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

As an aside I would remind everyone that the FY09 Mess supplemental "pay us so we don't conquer you" appropriation has yet to be finalized but from the initial comittee findings it appears that the value will include expenditures topping 180Bn (USD). This covers all funding priorities excluding those not yet realized due to combat inactivity throughout the world.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Surlethe wrote:Section II - Usergroup Expenss
The assistant deputy co-chair for the Sub-Committe on Lettering, Typesetting, Linguistics, and the Appreciation of the Finer Things has reported that our supply of critical vowels has been dangerously deplet'd. I join with him in proposing an addendum to the budgt of $457,000,000.46 to cover xploratory drilling in the Stratgic Vowl Reserv, research into alternate and sustainabl sources of vowls, and a fact-finding mission to the French Riviera "to see what it's like."
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

My Honorable Colleagues, the budget proposal has been updated to reflect the various corrections and funding requests.
Simplicius wrote:... and a fact-finding mission to the French Riviera "to see what it's like."
The French Riviera or the French Rivira?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The Mess will have a Budget and Appropriations Committee meeting in Lucy' Tiger Den in Bangkok, Thailand.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!