Note regarding rules for voting

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Note regarding rules for voting

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Since it appears that everyone wants to debate a crapload of items, not the least of which is viability of certain punishments AND the proecdure for enacting punishments I am asking all to move those comments into THIS thread and cease to utilize the [VOTE] thread for anything other than its purpose.

That being said quick notes:

The rules themselves have NOT been changed to require a guilty/not guily followed by a runoff for punishment. We carried out a dsicussion on the matter and several votes have been carried out in that format however changing the actual rules of voting to REQUIRE a runoff has not been done. As of right now it is solely to responsibility of the [VOTE] initiator to determine whether the vote shall be guilty/not guilty with runoff or a direct vote on punishment.

With the discussion in the other thread regarding who starts votes please, going forward, refrain from initiating a [VOTE] thread unless you are a governor or admin OR have a second the motion from a governor/admin. The rules thread should be getting updated soon and hopefully we can stop having this uncertainty over how things go in here.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Do we really -NEED- a guilty/not guilty vote before punishment? It seems this idea has only been pushing within the last couple months. Before it was a straight up punishment poll after a long discussion period.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

LadyTevar wrote:Do we really -NEED- a guilty/not guilty vote before punishment? It seems this idea has only been pushing within the last couple months. Before it was a straight up punishment poll after a long discussion period.
Do we need it? No not at all but there MAY be cases where there is a consensus on guilt but not punishment so having two polls would firmly establish guilt and then render punishment a more uncertain but still effective vote. That said I think it should be the exception but my point here was to remind folks that there is no requirement for a two phase vote.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Perhaps instead of requiring two separate polls, we could simply add another option to the existing polls: "Censure", which would be the same as "Guilty, but no punishment".
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Separate guilt and punishment polls are the best way to give everyone a satisfactory option, but that's at least three threads for each of us to deal with - the guilty/not guilty vote, the doubtlessly lengthy argument over punishment options, and then the second vote. An all-or-nothing guilt + punishment vote appears short and sweet at first glance, but the example presently before us too closely resembles a train wreck. I would wager that this not entirely due to the sudden influx of Senate business.

An option for censure seems like it would be the best way to keep clutter down, even if it doesn't let everyone vote for the punishment they would like best. I'll support it.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I'll say that simply allowing the discussion to run to its ntural conclusion is probably the best way to avoid any uncertainty about intended punisment. I think all too often (read everytime) we've movedto a punishment poll without truly settling on what the preferred forms of punishment would be. Part of the push for reminding everyone that [vote] polls are suppossed to be restricted is to cut down on early polling before the options are truly settled.

-Kingdom of Heaven
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I agree with Wilkens. We need to stop posting Vote polls before we've determined appropriate punishment.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

We shouldn't need seperate vote polls for guilt and punisment in EVERY case - we haven't in the past. I say determination as to how it is handled be on a case-by-case basis, which can be handled in the discussion forum. If there seems to be a broad consenus on punishment in most cases, ,we can simply skip to the guilt/innocence thing, I think. Alternately, we can also do "guilt/innocence" polls covering individual punishments in certain cases (if its narrowed down, per se.)
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Perhaps most cases can probably be handled with a vote in the following basic format:
  • GUILTY: Perm Ban
  • GUILTY: Temp Ban
  • GUILTY: Sig/Avatar Removal
  • GUILTY: Demeaning Custom Title X
  • GUILTY: Demeaning Custom Title Y
  • GUILTY: Censure
  • NOT GUILTY
  • ABSTAIN
The actual options should vary depending on the results of a discussion thread, but as long as the basic "GUILTY: Punishment," "GUILTY: Censure," "NOT GUILTY," and "ABSTAIN" options are available, the vote thread can determine guilt and punishment. (If banning isn't mentioned in the discussion thread, there's no reason to include those options; if only one custom title is suggested, then there's no need to include a second one; etc.)

We would, of course, need some system of interpreting the results. If there was a tie between "GUILTY: Sig/Avatar Removal" and "GUILTY: Censure," then votes for the other "GUILTY" options should weigh in favor of an actual punishment.
Later...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

That might work, Mad

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Maybe a "special" category that would involve a combination of measures-- somethign that would have to be decided in th Discussion portion.

We have up to 10 possible votes in each poll thread, if need be we can use 'em all.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

LadyTevar wrote:That might work, Mad
I third Mad's idea. We should have a "this is what's at stake" for a guilty verdict at the beginning.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Just for the record I am not bringing any suggesitons here to a vote. We've got a loose enough voting structure currently that any ideas or practices we have tried and suggested are okay. The matter of how we vote in a thread will ultimately be retained by whomever opens the vote and given that for important matters this is a restricted vote I rather suspect the mods and admins will be able to decide the best format.

-Kingdom of Heaven