[Discussion] Banned from the Senate List?

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

[Discussion] Banned from the Senate List?

Post by Dalton »

In light of some potential Senate bans, should we keep a running tally of people who are banned from the Senate just for reference?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Yeah, a nice sticky just to keep a record.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

If it soon proves necessary, I propose that the Chancellor should be officially responsible for it, since it seems that the Whip is already wrapped in enough red tape, while Mr. Wilson is rather indecently uncovered.

(Although in practice this means that it will be left to the Executors, since the Chancellor is on leave. Speaking of taking up the Chancellor's responsibilities, at some point one of them will need to update the rules in light of this vote. It has been over a year.)
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Yeah, a sticky would make things easier. The subject doesn't come up often enough for everyone to easily remember who is no longer eligible for nomination.
Later...
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The Ringleader, Einy, should be formally banned from the Senate for life, certainly. I can see the others being let off without that exclusion.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The Ringleader, Einy, should be formally banned from the Senate for life, certainly. I can see the others being let off without that exclusion.
I do believe Einhander has already been banned from the Senate for life for backseat nominations; he further has stated he possesses no desire to ever enter this august body.

EDIT: See this thread for details.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The Ringleader, Einy, should be formally banned from the Senate for life, certainly. I can see the others being let off without that exclusion.
Adding anyone to the list of ineligible members for Senate nomination for the referenced incident goes against the letter and spirit of the nomination rules. Having a "spotty record" is not enough to make one ineligible for nomination, and I see no reason to change that. After all, people change.

The reasoning, as I understand it, for making certain members ineligible for nomination as a Senator is to prevent political "I scratch your back, your scratch mine" maneuvering. If anybody violates the rule, then that member will have to do so knowing the consequences.

In any case, Einhander is already ineligible. Were he not, the fact that--after this incident--he would not be able to gain enough support to vote him in were he nominated would be enough to keep him out. So there's no need to expand the scope of the nomination rules as a result of this incident.
Later...
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Mad wrote:
Adding anyone to the list of ineligible members for Senate nomination for the referenced incident goes against the letter and spirit of the nomination rules. Having a "spotty record" is not enough to make one ineligible for nomination, and I see no reason to change that. After all, people change.

The reasoning, as I understand it, for making certain members ineligible for nomination as a Senator is to prevent political "I scratch your back, your scratch mine" maneuvering. If anybody violates the rule, then that member will have to do so knowing the consequences.

In any case, Einhander is already ineligible. Were he not, the fact that--after this incident--he would not be able to gain enough support to vote him in were he nominated would be enough to keep him out. So there's no need to expand the scope of the nomination rules as a result of this incident.
The rules are simply standards to which all are held, it's been said numerous times that they do not completely limit our behaviour, and Einy is certainly behaving like he has power when in fact he has none, and should never have any, for that matter, which is what this is about.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Kuroneko wrote:(Although in practice this means that it will be left to the Executors, since the Chancellor is on leave. Speaking of taking up the Chancellor's responsibilities, at some point one of them will need to update the rules in light of this vote. It has been over a year.)
Yes, that will be happening soon. There are other considerations, including the new Whip language vote, that must be resolved before we update the rules.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The rules are simply standards to which all are held, it's been said numerous times that they do not completely limit our behaviour, and Einy is certainly behaving like he has power when in fact he has none, and should never have any, for that matter, which is what this is about.
Why are the current rules insufficient for this situation? They make a good deal of sense to me and ignoring the spirit they were written in (avoiding political maneuvering) is completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned.
Later...
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

A sticky list of banned-from-the-Senate personnel is a fine idea, and should be implemented.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Mad wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The rules are simply standards to which all are held, it's been said numerous times that they do not completely limit our behaviour, and Einy is certainly behaving like he has power when in fact he has none, and should never have any, for that matter, which is what this is about.
Why are the current rules insufficient for this situation? They make a good deal of sense to me and ignoring the spirit they were written in (avoiding political maneuvering) is completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned.
It seems that the offence of trying to issue warnings, a prerogative of the moderation, is in the same spirit as trying to rig Senatorial appointments, i.e., they're both interfering with the operational mechanisms of the board, making them the same class of offence, and therefore not really ignoring their spirit at all. That is, granted, only my personal opinion.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think this is a non-issue. As Mad has pointed out, people change, and spotty records now should not be held against them as they mature as board users.

I do not think a list, sticky or otherwise, is needed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet