From the Whip's Desk

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

From the Whip's Desk

Post by CmdrWilkens »

This is just a general housekeeping statment i'm making and not a policy matter (just to get that out of the way). What I am going to request is that even if you don't vote or intend to vote when I send you the vote spam at least check your PM box to ensure that the message is recieved. I'm noticing a disturbing trend amongst whose messages remain permanently in my outbox until I delete them due to age.

As such going forward I'm going to be keeping tally of anyone whose PM is not checked off for five votes running. At that point I'm gonna try to contact the individual senator and/or associates to ensure they are okay and whether or not they wish to be placed on a temporary leave of absence or not (which will affect qoruom). Simply put since I'm sending these PMs please acknowledge them even if you don't act on them.

A further disclaimer is that I will not bring vote absence before the senate as a matter for job abandonment unless it reaches truly epic proportions but again the fact that a few individuals seem to be constantly not getting PMs has me worried they aren't checking the senate and keeping abrest o things.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

I'm probably guilty of that sometimes, but it doesn't mean that I won't vote. I just take a look at the forum and look for the new poll - presumably others may do that as well. But I'll start making sure to open the email.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I think public censure of Senators who ignore their duties could be an appropriate measure in serious but not epic cases, decided upon by a vote of the Senate itself.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

On a similar topic, I had been wondering if we were going to have something along the lines of re-elections.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Zaia wrote:On a similar topic, I had been wondering if we were going to have something along the lines of re-elections.
For the position of whip? It's the only elected position in the Senate that I understand is current, though I don't recall what the terms were.

Rambling some thoughts about the Senate:

I think that when Mike created the Senate he was thinking of the Canadian one rather than the American one, which is good, because our powers are more similiar to those of the Canadian Senate. The other option is that we're more like the law court of the Paris Parlement--more an unelected group of judicial magistrates who present a final court of appeal, but, also, have limited advisory and protest powers to influence the course of overall government. A Lettre de Cachet, effectively, from Mike, just as it would have from Louis XIV, provides the absolute limit to our power, for when the absolutist monarch speaks, the his voice becomes the law itself.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Zaia wrote:On a similar topic, I had been wondering if we were going to have something along the lines of re-elections.
For my post or for the Senate in general? I personally told myself that I would throw the Whip up for re-election or at least vote for continuance after a year's time just to set a precedent.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

I think Senators sit for life, unless they resign or are dismissed by Mike, or are explicitly voted out by the Senate for misbehaviour.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Misbehavior, or dereliction? Should we set a lower bar for "MINAC", ie, "Minimum Acceptable Activity"? I think that since the position of Senator implies setting board policy, there are certain expectations of performance implied.

How about this--

A person can miss either 10 consecutive votes, or, 10 months of no activity. After this quota/time period has passed, the Senator will have to "stand for re-election"-- in other words, he or she must post a desire to re-commit to the position or be dropped by popular vote.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I think we are generally agreed (and the matter came up in regards to the Duchess what about 2 months ago right?) that the Senate can remove someone but the matter is entirely discretionary and setting a policy is probably self defeating. My whole point here has been to simply say please check you inbox and if it becomes insane then MAYBE there is a chance I MIGHT do something.

-Kingdom of Heaven
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

CmdrWilkens wrote:I think we are generally agreed (and the matter came up in regards to the Duchess what about 2 months ago right?) that the Senate can remove someone but the matter is entirely discretionary and setting a policy is probably self defeating. My whole point here has been to simply say please check you inbox and if it becomes insane then MAYBE there is a chance I MIGHT do something.
No, that was almost four months ago.

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
For the position of whip? It's the only elected position in the Senate that I understand is current, though I don't recall what the terms were.
No, I was thinking it might be healthy if we had a limit of Senate members and, after a certain period of time, held re-elections. After all, in a normal Senate, if you feel like certain people are dead weight or you don't like how they do business, you can replace them once their term is up.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Zaia wrote:
No, I was thinking it might be healthy if we had a limit of Senate members and, after a certain period of time, held re-elections. After all, in a normal Senate, if you feel like certain people are dead weight or you don't like how they do business, you can replace them once their term is up.

Not in the Canadian Senate, though, and I suspect that's what Mike is modeling our body off of, not the US version with elected Senators. In Canada they're appointed and serve until they resign or die--and they have similar more advisory powers than actual legislative powers, just like we do.

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Zaia wrote:No, I was thinking it might be healthy if we had a limit of Senate members and, after a certain period of time, held re-elections. After all, in a normal Senate, if you feel like certain people are dead weight or you don't like how they do business, you can replace them once their term is up.
Not in the Canadian Senate, though, and I suspect that's what Mike is modeling our body off of, not the US version with elected Senators. In Canada they're appointed and serve until they resign or die--and they have similar more advisory powers than actual legislative powers, just like we do.
Actually, he got the idea from another forum, not the Canadian Senate.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I've read them all...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin