[Discussion] New Usergroup/Forum: HEFT

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Hotfoot

[Discussion] New Usergroup/Forum: HEFT

Post by Hotfoot »

Once again a plebian thinks he has a matter worthy of Senate attention. Here is the message as it was sent to me by the Imperial postal service.
rhoenix wrote:Hi again,

My formal suggestion is to have a new private usergroup & corresponding forum for Improving the Self, which would entail exercising, weight-loss, weight-lifting, meditational exercise (i.e. yoga, tai chi, qigong, etc.), and others.

This would be for the end of giving support to others with the same goals, and encouragement to others to continue on their quest to improve themselves, and perhaps their quality of life.

I don't have a suggestion as to who should mod such a group and forum - I leave that decision to the august Senate.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Of course, I have already thought of a witty title for this forum:

Health
Exercise
Fitness &
Training

Thoughts, oh august senators?
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

More sub-forums? Don't we have more than enough already? The traffic in OT is downright light now; I really don't see the need to make another sub-forum.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Off-Topic is sufficient for now, we can always create another subforum if needed-- for now, though, I don't see such demand.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And I agree with Coyote and Z.. Not much call for it right now, so I motion we table the suggestion for 6 months and revisit it then.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I'd agree that it's an unnecessary subforum at this time, so, the motion to table the proposal for six months is seconded.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I fail to see why OT is unsuitable for such threads - we've had them before. Those interested can participate, those not can ignore them. I would imagine that the sub-population of self-improvers here changes over time, and even those not participating might have relevant input from time to time.

It's not like, say, the girl's forum or the christian forum or the one for military folk. Membership in those categories are permanent in a way fitness activities are not.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Putting self help threads in a subforum seems actively counter productive to me, if they are going to actually help anyone then they need to be accessible. Off topic works fine and we already have moderators to keep people from spamming them with pictures of ice cream.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

I'm going to have to jump on the "Too many subforums already, keep it in OT" bandwagon. Seriously, self-help topics should be accessible to anyone. Now I suppose that some folk may be shy about posting their quest for self/fitness/weight loss/etc to a public forum like OT . . . but, honestly, this is a webboard, and all the customary caveats still apply, regardless of whether a post is made in a public or private forum.