[Discussion]Time in service.

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Knife
Emperor's Hand

[Discussion]Time in service.

Post by Knife »

My Dellow Fellagates; an interesting subject has been brought to my attension from a valuable campaign contrib.....er constituent.

This person has asked about the possiblility of revamping the star system we currently employ for time of service to our mighty Emperor. Counting all the stars next to my name is more than enough to relay this to this Senate for discussion.

In the example given, would it even be possible with current software or a minor fix; to reduce the amount of stars with a color coded system? Say, go up to five, eight or what ever stars as gold as our current system, then start to change the color of said amount of stars to reflect more time?

I now give the floor to you.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Has this not been suggested before to Lord Wong?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

LadyTevar wrote:Has this not been suggested before to Lord Wong?
*shrug* I don't know. However, it seemed worthy enough to bring up. If old legislation is indeed there and defeated, I defer my motion. Else wise, I'd like to see where the idea leads.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

The only thing we have now is a way to increase the amount of time that each star represents. This idea, though, is pretty neat, but I don't know how easy it would be to implement.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

A suggestion has been floated that we adopt a system akin to the Imperial rank insignia; with the little red & blue squares and the funky cylinders on either side, thus keeping with the whole Imperial motif.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Coyote wrote:A suggestion has been floated that we adopt a system akin to the Imperial rank insignia; with the little red & blue squares and the funky cylinders on either side, thus keeping with the whole Imperial motif.
Hey, this could be a great excuse for us to geek out some more over Star Wars! :wink: If this goes through, we might need to put a link to a description of rank insignia in the Board FAQ, though -- I'm almost positive even most of the more diehard fans aren't familiar with that particular detail of the universe. I know I'm not, at least.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Received a PM from Balrog who wished me to convey this to the Senate:
Balrog wrote:Looked like a good idea, so I was hoping I could add a comment or two.

If the change is made and the following option was technically possible, users could be given the choice to select the motif of their ranking; say, Imperial vs. Rebel/New Republic. If there's similar rank structures for the Clones and Seperatists, that could be another choice.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Offer from Starglider...

Starglider wrote:This is marginally more work. I'd be happy to do it if someone supplies the relevant graphics and description of exactly how it should operate.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Let's perform a background check on Starglider--does this guy do anything else except post here?--and then start paying him one British pound a month to do official board modifications. He'll be our first paid employee.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Let's perform a background check on Starglider--does this guy do anything else except post here?--and then start paying him one British pound a month to do official board modifications. He'll be our first paid employee.
Hey now, if he's getting paid (out of what budget?), then shouldn't the mods and admins who tirelessly work to improve the board (and are not lazy bastards in the least) get paid too? At least the ones who do the registrations (so the rest of us don't have to). They actually deserve it, given the effort they're putting in.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Starglider wrote:This is marginally more work. I'd be happy to do it if someone supplies the relevant graphics and description of exactly how it should operate.
Thank you for your hard work, mate.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

fgalkin wrote:Hey now, if he's getting paid (out of what budget?), then shouldn't the mods and admins who tirelessly work to improve the board (and are not lazy bastards in the least) get paid too?
*Psychological kiss & reach-around*

Actually, Starglider can be our *Official SDNet Tech Guru* and something purty to add to his sig. (Thus resurrecting the old idea about medals & ribbons for accomplishment on the board).

The ironic thing is, Starglider would probably have to do it... for himself!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!