NO: Turds Amuse Me
16%
Abstain
24%

Total votes: 45

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

A vote for destruction is a vote for liberty!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

I support this
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Nothing good can come from him.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Voted yeah. He's old news, and he's long since passed any minimal amusement he may have had
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Voted.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Abstain. Because I just can't see the point.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Yeah, Timmy got the FS because that was ASVS's only effective banning method. Is the occasional "Hurr, Darkstar's a retard!" really causing us that much grief that we're going to ban everyone from speaking his name?
:D
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

While I would fully support a voluntary moratorium, I don't see a compelling reason for a boardwide gag order. All the other topic moratoriums are in place because threads on those topics became so disruptive they were invariably more trouble than they're worth. RSA is a first-class pile of shit and deserves Internet oblivion, but that's not the reason why this moratorium is proposed.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

The moratorium is to avoid giving him attention in the hopes that, lacking attention, he will find something else to do. Ironically, having this in the Senate is giving him one final burst of attention and a final chance for spin-doctoring this process.

I'm going to have to Abstain from even giving him that attention.
Later...
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I voted in favor, not because he even remotely bothers me in any way, but because I find it absurd that people are still paying any attention at all to him. Haven’t you all realized that you can just ignore him on your own terms? Who gives a shit about what it does elsewhere?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Not sure how we would go about enacting things but as of a few hours ago the 7 day timefram elapsed and voting should be closed. With 42 votes indicated a quorum is present. The voting itself is 25 for and 6 against, the measure passes. So again not sure how it will be enacted but the measure has passsed.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

I guess the simplest way would be for mods get authority to split/HOS Darkstar threads now.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Spyder wrote:I guess the simplest way would be for mods get authority to split/HOS Darkstar threads now.
This is a final solution vote. Per the traditional operation of ASVS, the best way to enact it would be through a policy of the summary deletion of any new Darkstar-related threads.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Spyder wrote:I guess the simplest way would be for mods get authority to split/HOS Darkstar threads now.
This is a final solution vote. Per the traditional operation of ASVS, the best way to enact it would be through a policy of the summary deletion of any new Darkstar-related threads.
I'd suggest moving to testing for automatic cleanup in that case. It's important that people know why their threads are disappearing.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Spyder wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
I'd suggest moving to testing for automatic cleanup in that case. It's important that people know why their threads are disappearing.
So we make an announcement.

Although I do think we can dump a few threads to Testing, just so Uraniun & Co. can have their way with them. Which is guaranteed to be hilarious.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

More to the point, if you don't realize that the final solution has been declared, you're a total idiot. There should be prominent general announcements, of course.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Of course.

Just an observation though, is anyone else concerned that having Darkstar's name in a general announcement may be pursuant to giving him more attention then he was receiving before?
Last edited by Spyder on 2007-05-13 07:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Spyder wrote:Of course.

Just an observation though, is anyone else concerned that having Darkstar's name in a general announcement pursuant to giving him more attention then he was receiving before?
Once the announcement has been propagated, it can be taken down.

Darkstar's name is now forbidden, anyway, and we need to figure out some sort of abbreviation to reflect that it is illicit to speak it.

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Once the announcement has been propagated, it can be taken down.

Darkstar's name is now forbidden, anyway, and we need to figure out some sort of abbreviation to reflect that it is illicit to speak it.
TOWMNBNv.02

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Since this is a "Final Solution" it should probably be handled much the same way we handle SuperShadow or Jack Chick: That is, make a notification to the effect that Darkstar threads will just be removed. As for removal, it could either be moved to testing or outright deleted at mod or admin discretion - I mean does it really matter? The whole point is to note the fact that we've really moved on past Darkstar even if he hasn't. We know he's gonna spin doctor it (HA ha, they can't handle the truth so they're ignoring me now!) but he'll do that anyhow, and we can stop wasting bandwidth on the guy (Again much like SS or Chick.)

That said, occasional, casual mention of him probably isn't a problem, its just that we don't need new threads about him, or existing threads hijacked by mention of him. People (new and longtime members) ought to know not to do it once the moratorium is in place (and be dealt with appropraitely if they don't.)

Edit: Threads involving Darkstar don't need to be taken down either. Past history is past history and I'm pretty sure all the Chick threads are still around. Its just that at this point we don't need any MORE added, because there's nothing really new to add.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Honestly I think Connor has it about right. Still on top of that a general annoucement running for perhaps a month should go up and then it becomes mod/admin discretion into removing content in violation.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I say leave any notice we post up. Saying that we have a moratorium on Darkstar threads because its repetetitive and doesn't contribute anything to the website doesn't matter in the long term. We keep up the "no jack chick" or "no Supershadow" stuff as well. If for no other reason it denies noobs any excuse for creating them through ignorance.

As I said, no matter how we implmeent the decision he's gonna spindoctor it, so we might as well implement it as a standing rule. Beyond that, mod/admin discretion is perfectly fine with me.

Maybe there should be a "list" of "people who we no longer to care/hear about" posted in each forum. We can just lump DS in with Chick and SS andsimplify things.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

A brief note of thanks for everyone who voted for me or thought well of me during the election. I'm glad that you value my opinion enough to give me a voice in this body, and as such I will use it now.

I'm torn on the concept of a "banned discussion list" for each subforum. On the one hand, some topics can get extremely tiresome to rehash over and over again. However, sometimes new information can come up and make the subject worth debating again, which would defeat the purpose of the ban. I'd rather not have a situation where topics are regularly reviewed by the senate or mods to see if they're worth talking about. Too many regulations would eventually stifle discussion in general. Yes, strings of twelve "X vs something different" can get annoying after a while, but such is life.

In the case of Darkstar, he's a nobody who's made a name for himself through being more persistant than one would reasonably expect from someone who is not actively looking for sex. At this point, news about Darkstar is like news about Paris Hilton, nobody gives a fuck unless he lands himself in jail, and even then it's a little fuck, like Harlan Ellison.

I vote for ignoring him primarily because that's pretty much what I've been doing since I got my laugh out of his antics a long time ago. He's not worth the energy. Keep up the stuff from the past, because we need a record to show people that come here why we don't bother with him anymore. He's a broken record that occasionally does or says something outrageous that pisses off people, he's the Fred Phelps of sci-fi debating for crying out loud.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!