[Discussion] Reintroduction of measures in an amended form.

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

[Discussion] Reintroduction of measures in an amended form.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

As a question, does a policy exist at this point for reintroducing measures in an amended fashion? For example--and this is what I'm primarily thinking of--if any part of a measure to ban/title/remove privilages fails to gain a majority, can it be reintroduced with some of the options removed? I'm thinking of situations where there's a definite majority in favour of punishing someone, but no majority for any specific form of punishment, so that the measure could be, for instance, reintroduced with only a weak form of punishment proposed so as to give the opportunity to create a unaminous opinion among those who support at least some kind of punishment.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I think there should just be a re-posting with modifications made, although there is the danger that someone will essentially "keep fishing" until they get what they want. (I admit that is a rather farfetched danger, and one covered by the "no vendetta" rule, but still possible).
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Another question:

Why is there just an "Abstain" option instead of there also being a "No punishment" option in the punishment polls?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Another question:

Why is there just an "Abstain" option instead of there also being a "No punishment" option in the punishment polls?
There should be a "no punishment" option on every punishment poll.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

RedImperator wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Another question:

There should be a "no punishment" option on every punishment poll.
Is the lack of one grounds to invalidate the results of a poll and allow for its reintroduction in a corrected and possibly modified form? Because that would have an immediate effect on the ongoing Velthuijsen poll.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I think you're the first person to really bring it up, and we've pretty much gone with the idea that "Abstain = No Punishment" in spirit (my take on it, anyway).

But it would be a good idea to make that an option from here on out.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Abstention, in my mind, means "present for quorum but not tendering an opinion". To me, an absention explicitly excludes one's vote from the majority calculations required for the result of the poll.

For example, if 20 Senators abstained out of 52, then only 17 votes would be required to title someone in the poll (half + 1 of the remaining 32 who voted for an actual option).

Furthermore, since bannings are Class A votes and titlings and lesser punishments are class B votes according to the Senate rules, it is EXTREMELY dodgy to me that they can be included together in the same poll. It would make much more sense if two separate threads were started, one for banning and one for a lesser punishment. If the vote was to ban (by 60% or better), bye-bye. If the ban vote fails and the lesser punishment vote succeeds by 50% or better, the lesser punishment is given. If both votes fail to garner the necessary support, the subject is considered innocent.

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Marina makes an excellent point. All polls should include a "No Punishment" option.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

The previous poll didn't take into account whether people are abstaining because they believed the person innocent or because they were uncomfortable with the available options.

I agree with having No Punishment in the polls. I also think that we should look out how we handle DRs as there may be other methods to ensure they are enforceable.
:D
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Spyder wrote:The previous poll didn't take into account whether people are abstaining because they believed the person innocent or because they were uncomfortable with the available options.

I agree with having No Punishment in the polls. I also think that we should look out how we handle DRs as there may be other methods to ensure they are enforceable.
I think first DR offences when referred to the Senate should always be a less-than-banning offence only, unless it is a DR #7 violation. Second offence should be a ban poll, however. Two strikes and you're out.

We need more Village Idiots, and first DR violations for offences #1 - 6 will provide them aplenty.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I think too many people are banned too fast. Sure plenty of them are just morons who will never learn, but we have seen more then one apparent moron turn around after getting the message, and becoming a productive member of the forums. I’m not going to name names on that issue though, and I’d ask that no one else does. It makes no sense to me to have gone to all the complication of the senate just to ban about 75% of people out of hand.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Sea Skimmer wrote:I think too many people are banned too fast. Sure plenty of them are just morons who will never learn, but we have seen more then one apparent moron turn around after getting the message, and becoming a productive member of the forums. I’m not going to name names on that issue though, and I’d ask that no one else does. It makes no sense to me to have gone to all the complication of the senate just to ban about 75% of people out of hand.
I definitely concur with this opinion.

Back in the old ASVS days, we loved nothing more than to have morons who couldn't debate there to bash around on.

We should reserve bannings as a punishment for DR violations for repeat offenders of the DR's (except DR #7) only.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I think too many people are banned too fast. Sure plenty of them are just morons who will never learn, but we have seen more then one apparent moron turn around after getting the message, and becoming a productive member of the forums. I’m not going to name names on that issue though, and I’d ask that no one else does. It makes no sense to me to have gone to all the complication of the senate just to ban about 75% of people out of hand.
I agree with Sea Skimmer. We have the VI title for a reason, we've even had folks who managed to get it removed, albeit temporarily. I think lately the banhammer has been tossed around a little too heavily.
JADAFETWA
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

This, too, has been my thought for awhile.

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Interesting. I'll alsos econd the "no punishment" option.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator