[Discussion] April Fool's Day Pranks Guidelines

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

[Discussion] April Fool's Day Pranks Guidelines

Post by Surlethe »

Ordinarily, we have pretty strict rules about honesty, forthrightness, and contributions in each post. The one day of the year we relax those standards, even a little bit, is April Fool's Day, where everyone kicks back a little and plays jokes on each other. So, I'm creating this thread so we can discuss what sort of guidelines we should recommend for April Fool's pranks.

Some thoughts: I personally would like to see most jokes take place on April 1. I'd also like to see the some or all of the moderating staff informed of the more serious/less obvious jokes, so they aren't caught off-guard as they were this one. Finally, I'd like maybe a fortnight's leeway, given with special administrative dispensation, for really major and elaborate pranks to get off the ground; to be frank, it would be a damn shame if nothing like this Mess joke ever happened again.

Also, we have to be sure to note, as per Dalton's orders, that pranks don't come into the Senate again.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Warning the staff would, in some cases, defeat the purpose-- although obviously in some cases select members must be notified.

Keeping it out of the Senate is of utmost importance, though. In that case, it would be necessary to alert at least one supermod willing to move unwitting AFD Senate threads out to another forum is necessary.

So, perhaps to sum up:
A 14-day maximum lead-up time
Notifying at least one Supermod willing to move things out of the Senate

--a good start?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

One thing I'd like codified: When planning a big prank, make sure you alert all the admin. Not all the staff, not even all the supermods.. But all the Admin should be aware, and ideally, get confirmation.

I'd prefer less than fourteen days runup. My personal vote would be starting no earlier than March 20th.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I want to emphasize that I don't think a week and a half or two week leadup should be the norm; it should only be for especially intricate or big plans, and, again, with administrative consensus -- i.e., as SirNitram points out, all the administrators. Most jokes should be confined to April 1 and maybe the tail-end of March 31.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Six days, then? Under a week of lead-in time, based off of midnight April 1st, US Eastern Standard Time (where the server and DW is), or perhaps Greenwich Mean?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

April Fool's Day is April 1st; if you require half the previous month for preparation, then what you're doing isn't an April Fool's Day prank simply because you choose that day to reveal it.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Frank Hipper wrote:April Fool's Day is April 1st; if you require half the previous month for preparation, then what you're doing isn't an April Fool's Day prank simply because you choose that day to reveal it.
I wholeheartedly agree.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

March the 31st would be the farthest back I would allow.

Preparations needing more lead time would require ADMIN approval, and should not exceed 10 days prior to Noon March 31st, Greenwich Time. ALL ADMIN MUST BE NOTIFIED PRIOR TO START OF PRANK.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I concur heartily with the Admin Notification idea (and it should be all of them) as well as forbidding the use of the Senate (which is already a rule obviously). That said I think more intricate pranks should be given some leeway for buildup though I think a week should be sufficient.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

My only beef are a couple things but things only certain people can obey.

1. Don't use the Senate forum in your prank.

2. Inform the higher ups and do not stifle them.

I really do not care if the Mess, GALE, SOS, any club wants a April Fool's prank as far back as starting as April 2nd of the preceding year, but trying to regulate something that will swept up come April 1st because a mod is trying to dissect a post is useless.

Does this really need guidelines? Honestly only so the rest of the forum can feel happy that we dislike a couple things the Mess handled. Other then that, it's just common sense.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Also from an outside member who has requested to not be known.
Just an outside POV on what's going on in there. But I wonder how many people share my opinion that the latest threads regarding April Fools Pranks and the like are about as pointless and make SDN look like the US congress. As convenient as having a Senate is in order to handle situations such as ban polls and to streamline board guidelines, this sort of shit seems so pointless. You have a small group of people who have their own special forum that is to be used for the sole purpose of governing and running things smoothly, and now they're discussing whether or not they can use the Senate or other parts of the board for fucking pranks? That's the biggest joke to come out of this. No amount of rules or regulations are going to change whether or not a prank is in good or bad taste, or whether any pranks are actually funny to those who observe them. When I saw this whole thing unfold it was obvious. We SDN Users, even the most intelligent among us, have the subtlety of a brick when it comes to April Fools. And because there are so many skeptics (which is not a bad thing), any post between March 15th and April 2nd immediately becomes suspect by multiple people. I actually find myself agreeing out loud with Keevan Colton, which is in a way mildy disturbing. In a quote on March 29th regarding "Removal of a Senator", he said:
Why is it that we keep coming up with more rules, regulations, procedures and paperwork?

This is a webboard not the US Senate...

Which mirrors my thoughts exactly.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Frank Hipper wrote:April Fool's Day is April 1st; if you require half the previous month for preparation, then what you're doing isn't an April Fool's Day prank simply because you choose that day to reveal it.
Agreed. And, if I may...

Again, where is the proof this was a "prank" thought out weeks in advance? I'm still suspecting that this started out real, and the Mess decided to use AFD* to CTA.**

*April Fool's Day

**Cover Their Ass

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

Lord Poe wrote:
Agreed. And, if I may...

Again, where is the proof this was a "prank" thought out weeks in advance? I'm still suspecting that this started out real, and the Mess decided to use AFD* to CTA.**

*April Fool's Day

**Cover Their Ass
Given what we know, that isn't unlikely to the point of being impossible. :lol:
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

It's quite simple. If it weren't an AFD fools joke, then Mike would have banned us. Since he has access to the Mess, and implicit permission to go into there, as the sole civilian member of the Mess, and not to mention he's been given explicit permission, as part of the setup to this.

Oh, and not to mention that Dalton found out about it as far back as the 19th of March.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Beowulf wrote:It's quite simple. If it weren't an AFD fools joke, then Mike would have banned us. Since he has access to the Mess, and implicit permission to go into there, as the sole civilian member of the Mess, and not to mention he's been given explicit permission, as part of the setup to this.

Oh, and not to mention that Dalton found out about it as far back as the 19th of March.
And like I said in the mod forum, tell everyone who needs to know, fucking knows. I'm sick and tired of repeating myself, because it would've been even cuter if said person fucking OUTED the joke March 31st, because of miscommunication. And since Mike was not on the board those two days, it would've been real cute to explain to him WHY that happened.

And Dalton also said, unless you have reading problems, about using both the Senate and mod only forums is a rather large no-no and huge fucking abuses of power.

No one is punished because those are the rules NOW. So really drop it. You guys fucked up on a lot of levels to make it effective and pissed off the higher ups in making too many fucking plots.

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Personally the fact it involved the Senate peripherally did not bother me personally, but I do see Chuck's reasoning and that time can be valuable. It shouldn't have been in the Senate but I think the whole Senate thing was also required for the joke to be carried off. But only once. Ender's posts should have been left briefly opened and then closed because the debate was NOT a real Senate issue. It shouldn't have been left open for argument, nor should it have been dragged back in here.

I'd still like to say that "limited" Senate access is reasonable, but it should be *limited* so as not to waste people's time. And maybe once or twice at MOST. Ther'es also the matter of Senate only jokes (or ones run by the Senate itself? Its possible I suppose.) Maybe "Use of the Senate" in a joke should be by approval as well (but still under the "very limited posting" guideline above.)

I also agree that at least some of the mods/Admins (But not minimods) could be informed, if that will help fix things. Although I don't think why its strictly neccessary for ALL to be involved, aside frrom just preserving people from being outraged or fooled (I mean, could similar reasoning be used to inform the Senate? That seems kinda silly and I don't see why we'd need to know...) Maybe its a "need to know" sorrt of basis - the mods whose forums are going to host the jokes (even if it smore than one) certianly ought to be informed, but I'm not sure on all of them.

On the other hand, I don't see why the timeframe limits should be imposed. It seems rather minor an issue, and some complicated jokes need build-up and planning, otherwise its not really a *prank*. Broad limits can be acceptable (IE no jokes starting back in January of course), so maybe three-four weeks or less (preferrably less.) Again, if there are problems here, maybe approval from the Admins/Mods could be required for "lengthy" pranks like this.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Personally the fact it involved the Senate peripherally did not bother me personally, but I do see Chuck's reasoning and that time can be valuable. It shouldn't have been in the Senate but I think the whole Senate thing was also required for the joke to be carried off. But only once. Ender's posts should have been left briefly opened and then closed because the debate was NOT a real Senate issue. It shouldn't have been left open for argument, nor should it have been dragged back in here.
Both Mike and Dalton have agreed afterwards, those were abuses of power. Literally while they looked to be done in the format to carry out the joke. That along with using Mod only forums to carry out the joke are things unavailable to regular members, which is something to be remembered about these pranks and why Mike also declared no Moderator AFD jokes.

When you have powers above a regular poster, you can make jokes seem far more real by placing things in places that real events as such would happen.
I'd still like to say that "limited" Senate access is reasonable, but it should be *limited* so as not to waste people's time. And maybe once or twice at MOST. Ther'es also the matter of Senate only jokes (or ones run by the Senate itself? Its possible I suppose.) Maybe "Use of the Senate" in a joke should be by approval as well (but still under the "very limited posting" guideline above.)
I understand that no one in the Senate knowing this, but Dalton and Mike have essentially declared the Senate off limits to this type of event because of the usage of power.
I also agree that at least some of the mods/Admins (But not minimods) could be informed, if that will help fix things. Although I don't think why its strictly neccessary for ALL to be involved, aside frrom just preserving people from being outraged or fooled (I mean, could similar reasoning be used to inform the Senate? That seems kinda silly and I don't see why we'd need to know...) Maybe its a "need to know" sorrt of basis - the mods whose forums are going to host the jokes (even if it smore than one) certianly ought to be informed, but I'm not sure on all of them.

On the other hand, I don't see why the timeframe limits should be imposed. It seems rather minor an issue, and some complicated jokes need build-up and planning, otherwise its not really a *prank*. Broad limits can be acceptable (IE no jokes starting back in January of course), so maybe three-four weeks or less (preferrably less.) Again, if there are problems here, maybe approval from the Admins/Mods could be required for "lengthy" pranks like this.
The problem that happened in the moderator forum was that one admin was informed(Mike), another suspected but was told to NOT tell the others, and finally one was not informed through miscommunication.

So, even the admins had a time trying to figure out what the hell as Mike wasn't here because of personal reasons and another had his hands tied, and another wanted to delouse the entire Mess. All in all the affair was nicely handled from some perspectives, but was a royal fuck up in others.

As such, Mike and Dalton has told the parties involved essentially two major rules.

1. All admins are to be informed.
2. No usage of any Mod only forums and the Senate is off limits. This is ban worthy.

Other then that, discretion is in the hands of the pranksters.

Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

I'm going to try and make myself more clear.

Trolling the fucking board for a two weeks to a month prior to AFD is bullshit.

This year's Mess stunt was trolling, textbook trolling, and simply saying "LOL! You dumbfucks fell for my long-term line of shit!" on April 1st shouldn't be an easy out for otherwise bannable behavior, at least not in the future.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Christ you guys, if you can't make it work in a week of lead-up posts, it just reflects poorly on you.

The challenge should be to make the prank be beleived in a very limited amount of time.

I love the mess; a good number of you are my dear friends.

But military humour viz. these poor people is already a massacre as it is; do you need to make it worse by assiduously planning for a month beforehand?

I support a six-day rule with advanced notice to an admin, 31st and 1st only otherwise, because if you can't run a prank in the same amount of time that Israel beat the whole Muslim world, then you just goddamned suck, so it's for your own good.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Christ you guys, if you can't make it work in a week of lead-up posts, it just reflects poorly on you.

The challenge should be to make the prank be beleived in a very limited amount of time.
Oh hell, that's easy. Short term cons are always simpler, because its jut getting people momentarily disconcerted and running cricles around them. Long term jobs are much much harder, specifically because you have to maintain the facade and people can think it out. Read up on the famous con man "the Yellow Kid" who managed to sell the Eiffel tower multiple times, scammed Al Capone, and pulled a number of Ocean's 11 type stunts. And I'm still amazed and saddened more people didn't see through this - overnight people did a complete 180 on their positions and treatments of others, and few if any caught on. We have people in the Mess who have seen more linear feet of dick then all of GALE combined, and all of a sudden homosexuals bother us? I guess too many people wanted to believe in the "dumb violent military" stereotype.

I admit that using the senate was an abuse of power, and apologize for it. It was out of line, and I said as much in the Mess after I did it. But beyond the banning of using the senate & mod forums, I don't see a need for any additional rules - we already made a point of informing the people in charge, though apparently not enough of them. The restrictions on lead up time and such are pointless - like I said, more lead up time makes it easier to see through it, that people didn't is their own failing.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Ender wrote:Oh hell, that's easy. Short term cons are always simpler, because its jut getting people momentarily disconcerted and running cricles around them. Long term jobs are much much harder, specifically because you have to maintain the facade and people can think it out. Read up on the famous con man "the Yellow Kid" who managed to sell the Eiffel tower multiple times, scammed Al Capone, and pulled a number of Ocean's 11 type stunts. And I'm still amazed and saddened more people didn't see through this - overnight people did a complete 180 on their positions and treatments of others, and few if any caught on. We have people in the Mess who have seen more linear feet of dick then all of GALE combined, and all of a sudden homosexuals bother us? I guess too many people wanted to believe in the "dumb violent military" stereotype.

I admit that using the senate was an abuse of power, and apologize for it. It was out of line, and I said as much in the Mess after I did it. But beyond the banning of using the senate & mod forums, I don't see a need for any additional rules - we already made a point of informing the people in charge, though apparently not enough of them. The restrictions on lead up time and such are pointless - like I said, more lead up time makes it easier to see through it, that people didn't is their own failing.
I saw through it right from the goddamned first when I was lurking here, to be quite frank. It was obvious that you were up to another prank, which I expected to be stupid (no offense) just like the last one that you did.

Some lead-up time indeed makes things easier, but to create a two-week long crisis quickly makes people begin to accept that this is the new reality of things.

If you cannot make it succeed starting before 27 March or so, don't bother doing it.

This place needs more decorum, not more sophmoric pranks.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.