[Discussion] Lonestar

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I believe I made a threat in an earlier post, regarding dismissing the Mess if this was an April Fools.

I stand by that threat.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Is this whole....thing....an outgrowth of the incident with Ender? Because if it is....thats cheating, your not allowed to set up stuff that far in advance of Apr 1! The whole point is trying to catch someone on that DAY without warning God damnit!

Someone start up a senate thread to temp ban these people for breaking the April Fools day rules!

EDIT

Though I would like to public say

HA! I FUCKING CALLED IT BACK IN THE FIRST THREAD, FIRST POST OF MINE IN IT! SUCK IT BITCHES! :D :D
Last edited by Chris OFarrell on 2007-04-01 12:49am, edited 1 time in total.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Is this whole....thing....an outgrowth of the incident with Ender? Because if it is....thats cheating, your not allowed to set up stuff that far in advance of Apr 1! The whole point is trying to catch someone on that DAY without warning God damnit!

Someone start up a senate thread to temp ban these people for breaking the April Fools day rules!
I'm afraid it's far more serious than anything the Senate could react in time for. No. This has been a... noble attempt, but the time for democracy has passed.

I am hereby assuming emergency powers to deal with the growing threat of the Mess. The Senate is, until further notice, dissolved. Power will be directly handed to the forum mods.

Fear will keep the posters in line. Fear of this banstick.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

SirNitram wrote:
Chris OFarrell wrote:Is this whole....thing....an outgrowth of the incident with Ender? Because if it is....thats cheating, your not allowed to set up stuff that far in advance of Apr 1! The whole point is trying to catch someone on that DAY without warning God damnit!

I'm afraid it's far more serious than anything the Senate could react in time for. No. This has been a... noble attempt, but the time for democracy has passed.

I am hereby assuming emergency powers to deal with the growing threat of the Mess. The Senate is, until further notice, dissolved. Power will be directly handed to the forum mods.

Fear will keep the posters in line. Fear of this banstick.
And what of the HABers? If the tread heads have obtained a complete technical readout of this banstick, it is possible -however unlikely- that they find a weakness....and exploit it....or just nuke the hell out of it.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:I'm afraid it's far more serious than anything the Senate could react in time for. No. This has been a... noble attempt, but the time for democracy has passed.

If we're suspending the Senate, can I get my old position back? :P
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I've been PMed by 2 and IMed by 3 who believe the Mess should be punished for this trick.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

LadyTevar wrote:I've been PMed by 2 and IMed by 3 who believe the Mess should be punished for this trick.
For?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Knife wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:I've been PMed by 2 and IMed by 3 who believe the Mess should be punished for this trick.
For?
Yes which rules did we break.

Wait a tick, if your getting emails saying we should be punished, why all we need to do is simply have the Mess PM you saying we should not be punished for the trick.

See? Democracy in action!

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

This action was taken with the full knowledge and consent of the board owner. Anyone who can't take it can kindly take a flying fuck.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Beowulf wrote:This action was taken with the full knowledge and consent of the board owner. Anyone who can't take it can kindly take a flying fuck.
Times two.

Consider too, Einie is taking it very well and having a laugh, who was flaming left and right with APIT rail guns in the appropriate threads.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Knife wrote:
Beowulf wrote:This action was taken with the full knowledge and consent of the board owner. Anyone who can't take it can kindly take a flying fuck.
Times two.

Consider too, Einie is taking it very well and having a laugh, who was flaming left and right with APIT rail guns in the appropriate threads.
Aye if the person who yesterday wanted to neuter Lonestar with a rusty spoon things it's a great joke, everyone else should.

Aaaannnd LadyTevar, check your inbox. :wink:

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
And what of the HABers? If the tread heads have obtained a complete technical readout of this banstick, it is possible -however unlikely- that they find a weakness....and exploit it....or just nuke the hell out of it.
HAB has sufficient megatonnage to create a weakness; any material not using HAB special type elements will be weakened by heavy neutron bombardment.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2007-04-01 01:44am, edited 1 time in total.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Jesus Christ, that was amazing, you guys. Two weeks in advance is pretty much cheating, but ... wow.

I fucking hate you all. Now have a great day. :D
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Surlethe wrote:Jesus Christ, that was amazing, you guys. Two weeks in advance is pretty much cheating, but ... wow.

I fucking hate you all. Now have a great day. :D
Meh, side effect of having a large population of people who are trained to act and work together in planning and execution.

Be that as it may, I take my hat off to Lonestar and Burgie. Coyote and Wilkens played their part well too, and now everyone hates Kami Sith. Poor bastard. 8)

Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

:lol:

...Cunts
:D
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ah, a repeat.

And interestingly enough, no apologies needed, but at least next time, don't spam a week ahead in four to five topics and throw shit(Which RogueIce and Coyote) even in forums only mods can see.

One thing to have a private joke, another to have people think admins should go in and delouse a private forum.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Had people actually forgotten the Rob Wilson prank? I remembered it, and that was a year before I even joined the board.

I was taken in during the first Senate thread, but that fact that the matter suddenly blew the fuck up right before 1 April was a little too convenient. Well planned and executed just the same, you guys.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Simplicius wrote:I was taken in during the first Senate thread, but that fact that the matter suddenly blew the fuck up right before 1 April was a little too convenient. Well planned and executed just the same, you guys.
The first Senate thread was simply too far in advance to be an April Fool's joke. Once that was set, there was no reason to think it was an AFD joke, even blowing up close to April 1, since the issue had arisen before.
Knife wrote:Meh, side effect of having a large population of people who are trained to act and work together in planning and execution.

Be that as it may, I take my hat off to Lonestar and Burgie. Coyote and Wilkens played their part well too, and now everyone hates Kami Sith. Poor bastard. 8)
Jesus, you guys rock. Were the gay threads themselves actually planned, or were they just nice opportunities?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

It was thrown together hastily-- we'd been contemplating something for AFD, but felt that a lead-in was necessary to pull sufficient wool over everyone's eyes. We put it together, I quickly contacted DW for clearance, and we got busy that first day.

The thing was, the General Pace thread was a legit thread from the start, it was just an opportunity that was there at the time. We took the karma and jumped on it, keeping things fuelled up here & there as needed.

It took a lot of ongoing planning and coordination in the Mess, we had 2-3 threads just of ongoing planning during the whole thing, plotting when to strike, when to drop a little article or make a snide comment, when to go to ground and act all ashamed, etc.

I'd like to thank my troops for their outstanding performance in this! :D
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Jesus, you guys rock. Were the gay threads themselves actually planned, or were they just nice opportunities?
Yeah, mostly planned, though the first casualty of any operation is the plan. We were thinking of fake threads in the general forums but great oppertunities just kept coming up naturally. Fucking 'How gay is 300' and the now famous 'General shithead' thread. Vent thread is always perfect to toss some off comments in too. :wink:

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I am so jaded. it's disgusting how I no longer have any emotion about this kind of shit being pulled on and on. yes, I saw the whole thing comming a mile and a half away (~2.5km for those outside the united states) I just shake my head, and feel nothing. no outrage, no groans, nothing

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mr Bean wrote:Aye if the person who yesterday wanted to neuter Lonestar with a rusty spoon things it's a great joke, everyone else should.

Aaaannnd LadyTevar, check your inbox. :wink:
Cute Bean. Really cute.

No, none of you are getting a reward for this shit, especially when the best you idjits can do is send me cookie-cutter "please don't hurt us" PMs to spam my Inbox.

A AFD Prank should be FUNNY, GodsDamnit! It should not be funny just to those who are playing the prank, it should be something that everyone can look back on and giggle at how stupid they look. THIS PRANK WAS NOT FUNNY.
This prank had nearly everyone on the board seriously thinking that something had gone wrong, that soneone had lost their temper, lost their head, and possibly ruined their life and career. I especially took it hard for one damn reason: I SAW THIS SHIT HAPPEN IRL, in the SCA.

So, no, it wasnt' fuckin' funny to me, because I saw a group of friends torn apart over this shit, and damn near saw the whole Barony fall apart over it. There are people that STILL, AFTER 10 YEARS, won't speak to others involved because of it. So, yes, I'm pissed that you nutballs would pull this kinda shit, scare nearly the whole board, and drag up a nasty case of deja-vu for me.

Be glad Wong's on your side... otherwise I might not be the only one suggesting The Mess be disbanded.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

From my Inbox:
To: LadyTevar
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:24 pm
Subject: Re: the Mess, etc.

Although Mike and other mods were in on this, I seem to remember (but haven't found the thread; it's somewhere in Spamworld) that after the last time this happened, Mike decreed that:
a) Mods were not to use their positions to organize/support pranks, and
b) Pranks were not to be started prior to April 1st

It was the fact that things started way early, made it to the Senate, and was backed by Mods led everyone to believe that this nonsense was real. I'm just a peon, but I'd really appreciate it if the staff could pick a set of guidelines and stick to them.
He's right. Not that it may do much good since Wong allowed this to happen, but he's right.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I thought this was hilarious, myself. I guess I shouldn't be surprised a military usergroup had the discipline to pull this off, but I can't do anything but admire how well coordinated it was for how long.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Seconding Tevar, here.

I avoid SDnet (among other online communities) on AFD for a reason, because I just find it silly. However, when I discovered this stuff going down in the Senate, and I checked the thread and saw the dates, I realised this was serious.

Jokes should be FUNNY. We were informed (NOT today) that things that had happened in a very private usergroup had been dredged into Real Life. This, IMO is about on par with the grandmother dying which caused so much shit a couple of years ago.

Tevar's already covered the fact that it affected the entire board for weeks, and that it contravened previous guidelines laid down for today. So what more can I do but explain why I personally don't consider it funny.

As a member of two equally private usergroups, I consider it pretty damn important that what goes on in private usergroups stays private, and was worrying about how it'd be handled if those two hit similar problems. OK, I'm uptight, but the Mess, like SOS:NBA and GALE, was set up in order to be private. breaching that privacy shouldn't be taken lightly.

Neither do I particularly think homophobia funny. The shite that I was thinking about people I'd known and respected for a while had me beginning to regret coming back to the board. I had things I wanted to say about Pace, but it degenerated into flamewar and was HOS worthy because of people trying to work up a persona to pull off a prank.

Sorry, not funny, and I'm glad now I've had no energy to get involved in anything this past week.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling