Nay
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 26

Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Kuroneko wrote:Not voting seems like an effective method of defeating a popular proposal, more so than voting no. There's definitely something wrong with such a situation.
Oh, I wouldnt go so far as that. I suspect our old mate apathy is wandering the halls of corru..power.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

How many Senators are active members? I count at least three (Kuja, InnerBrat, and The Duchess of Zeon) whom I haven't seen post recently, but that could simply be the fact there are some subforums I don't lurk. However, that doesn't account for the fact there are polls with only a handful of votes.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Stuart Mackey wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:Not voting seems like an effective method of defeating a popular proposal, more so than voting no. There's definitely something wrong with such a situation.
Oh, I wouldnt go so far as that. I suspect our old mate apathy is wandering the halls of corru..power.
I'm sure it's apathy, but what Kuroneko is saying is that if, say, 5 people didn't want a vote to pass, then those 5 people could simply not vote, given the current poll turnouts.

If they vote, then the measure could pass with a 50% quorum. Say 21-5-0.

If they don't vote, then the measure wouldn't pass. It'd be 21-0-0, but quorum wasn't met. Those 5 non-votes just held more power than 21 "yes" votes.

However, voting "no" should carry more power than not voting.

On the other hand, there should be an understanding that such an abuse of the system would be frowned upon. If there are 5 people leaning towards "no" in the discussion and poll threads, but 0 "no" votes, then something would definitely look fishy.
Later...
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

OK then, this'll get put in now.

*sigh* you realise this now means I have to come up with a punny title for the entry... the work I do for you people, no appreciation.*mutter* *mumble* *grumble* :P
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Rob Wilson wrote:OK then, this'll get put in now.

*sigh* you realise this now means I have to come up with a punny title for the entry... the work I do for you people, no appreciation.*mutter* *mumble* *grumble* :P
Done, it's now the new rule 3, the rest following have been renumbered. Also I changed the punny title for the Nominations and moved One senator, one vote onto this new one. See lateral thinking, that's why I'm Chancellor and you're not - that and I'm actually Mikes sock-puppet account, crap I never wrote that, ignore the man behind the curtain.
:P
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back