Ending the Testing Page 3 Lock

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.

Should Testing threads continue past page 3?

Poll ended at 2009-10-22 06:38pm

Yes
77%
No
18%
Uncertainty Komedy Option
5%

Total votes: 109

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ending the Testing Page 3 Lock

Post by Stark »

Aside from it being redundant?

I would propose even more redundant mod busywork, but I know nobody wants change. It's scary, and efficient, and has less scope for embarrassing posturing. :)
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

^ Ohhh, Page Snipe (TM) and snark! The tradition continues!

I vote again for the Page 3 lock to preserve the variety of Stark's contributions.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:There is no reason to end the page 3 lock.
There is no reason to continue the page 3 lock.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

We need more mods in-charcter in this thread. What good is HoC without the lols?

While the amount of quality lost is worth the derison it generates toward the powers that be, the arguments here are too good to miss. I'm going to save 'but we always did it' and 'I'm a cunt' for my personal use. :)
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Ah, RedImperator. Say about the man what you will, but he always knows which issues are too brain-meltingly simple for the board to handle sensibly.

1 The page three lock was a technical necessity.
2 Auto-prune removed that necessity.
3 Therefor, there is no reason to continue the page three lock.

Cue power plays and general douchebaggery. It's the SDN way.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

It is also very reassuring to know the mods have the time and inclination to religiously lock threads in Testing, but can't be arsed to properly mod AMP even when a regular contributor to that forum formally complains about it. I suppose locking page three of a joke thread on its way to auto-prune is far more important than keeping a semblance of competency in any of the 'serious', 'proper' forums.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Stark wrote:We need more mods in-charcter in this thread. What good is HoC without the lols?
Clearly the mods are chicken. :D
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Bounty wrote:It is also very reassuring to know the mods have the time and inclination to religiously lock threads in Testing, but can't be arsed to properly mod AMP even when a regular contributor to that forum formally complains about it. I suppose locking page three of a joke thread on its way to auto-prune is far more important than keeping a semblance of competency in any of the 'serious', 'proper' forums.
'The mods' are not a single entity. Those who fail to act in indivudal forums, especially lower-traffic ones, because of real-life burdens are not necessarily the same ones who approach Testing the way Jason Voorhees approaches teenage discipline.

If you have an actual problem with a thread, and the mod in question is MIA, use the report function. It's guaranteed to page all of us, and the problem will get fixed.

End of line, motherfuckers. 8)
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Since the AMP situation has been fixed that point is moot anyway.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I voted yes, but I want to see it increased from page 3 to page 6 lock initially, and review in six months time.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

We should just archive every thread that makes it to page 3 into the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Thanas wrote:There is no reason to end the page 3 lock.
There is no reason to continue the page 3 lock.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

aerius wrote:We should just archive every thread that makes it to page 3 into the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Then I'd have a reason to actually look in there once in a while!
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Is there any real technical or practical reason why Testing pages beyond Page 2 need to be locked now? I mean we have updated board sofftware and this is not 2003
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Well ITT we have had the sentiments expressed that Bean is a laughingstock (and we love him for it), Fgalkin is a cunt (and we love him for it) and Thanas is German (and we love him for it).

Aren't you conviced? Luckily, your opinion doesn't matter! :)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Bluewolf wrote:Is there any real technical or practical reason why Testing pages beyond Page 2 need to be locked now?
No. It is an archaic custom. As far as I can see, the only possible purpose is to stop testing from getting 'too popular' and overshadowing the main forum. Which to be fair, is understandable; there are plenty of forums out there that consist of nothing but Testing-style drek and it would be disappointing if SDN started to resemble them. However if so, locking threads after 3 pages is a spectacularly inefficient and ineffective way to address that concern.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Indeed, it could simply be made automatic itself at post 74 or 51.

I find the uplifting of threads an interesting example of how SDN has changed over the years, and how the attitudes of many haven't changed with it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stark wrote:Well ITT we have had the sentiments expressed that Bean is a laughingstock (and we love him for it), Fgalkin is a cunt (and we love him for it) and Thanas is German (and we love him for it).
There goes my hope of world domination.....

More serious - Locking page 3 is a fun tradition. Remember when we managed to sneak a thread past page 6? That was fun.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Weird, I thought the board in general looked down on mindless adherence to tradition.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That seems to be the argument whenever anyone brings up 'well it is traditionally...'. They get dogpile like a motherfucker.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Well, since I'm indirectly responsible for this, I suppose I ought to weigh in.

To be honest, I don't even remember why we instituted the Page 3 lock. I became a mod in...'05, I think, and I think the policy was already in place by then. I have a vague idea that it started because people were making "+1" posts (literally; some people were posting "+1" and that's it) in threads. This was back when anybody gave a shit about post counts. I remember some mods (shit, I may have been one of them, for all I know) getting deeply pissed off that people were padding out their post counts with content-free Testing posts*. So that's probably how it started, and it's definitely why Testing posts don't go to your post count anymore. The auto prune was added....I think it was added because it was easier than occasionally sending an admin into Testing to delete all the dead threads. I can't be sure about that one, though.

But at any rate, if Testing posts don't go to post counts, and Testing automatically cleans itself out, then there's no reason left to keep the Page 3 lock. By the mods' own admission, its primary function is to provide a reason to lock threads for fun. Which, I gotta say, isn't much of a reason.

*This is before we learned how to make content-free posts in every other forum. The trick is to just agree with everyone else, and you're golden.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Are the mods really that desperate for things to do that they fight to hold on to a pointless task?

Whatever happened to work smarter, not harder? Unless there's some sort of database reason to keep doing this, I say let it go. There are better things to waste your internet time on.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Why the hell not? If the topic is interesting and entertaining to the point that people keep coming back to it, I don't see why it should suffer an arbitrary death. And I'm not even much of a Testing fan.