[Discussion] Schuyler Colfax (Responses)

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: [Discussion] Schuyler Colfax (Responses)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hah. When you have a complex poll, everyone gets confused and start arguing about what the results actually mean. Who'd a thunk it?

What was wrong with a simple permaban/temp ban/title poll? Why exactly were all the extra options needed?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

He's right. If permaban or tempban or title won, then maybe a second poll could be made regarding the specificalities of the selected choice.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Man preferential voting would be pretty sweet. There is a reason why its the best voting system in the world?
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Crazedwraith wrote:Hah. When you have a complex poll, everyone gets confused and start arguing about what the results actually mean. Who'd a thunk it?

What was wrong with a simple permaban/temp ban/title poll? Why exactly were all the extra options needed?
We've had this before and the current numbers bear out what I was worried abotu which is this:

There is clear sentiment for SOME sort of punishment. However, based ont eh current vote totals NONE of the punishments suggested would achieve a passing majority. PermBan would be 8 votes short, TempBan would be 3 votes short, Title waaaaayyyy short. So becuse a strait Perma/Temp/Title vote does not allow for a secondary preference there is a lack of sufficient majority for any action despite the clear impetus for some action.

This was an attempt to go for instant runoff which can be a bit more compelx but allows for secondary preferences to be given sufficient weight to pass if primary preferences have too little support to be viable.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe you guys can also finalize what measures to emplace if and when Schuyler comes back and still acts like, uh, Schuyler. :D
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Schuyler is shrieking at me on MSN, saying that he was just joking and demanding that I "Fix it."
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Schuyler is shrieking at me on MSN, saying that he was just joking and demanding that I "Fix it."
Tell him to "Shove it up his ass.". He was not in good graces, he was going to get temp banned for more then a year, by one admin...and he pulls that shit?

It's akin to a man on parole that was just kidding about wanting to shoot someone.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

He can call 1-800-BOO-HOOO for all I care.

For those not paying attention to the Senate thread, he apparantly tried to hustle other people's log-in information from them so he could come aboard during the ban. Schuyler Colfax is now a persona non grata at SDN.

This discussion is now moot, but I'll leave it open for the time being. I think it is interesting to reflect on Mr. Colfax and what happened. A lot of people were very willing to go out of their way to help a wayward member of the community until it became clear that there was no hope. At the same time, we had Chitoryu, who went through the exact same thing at almost the same time as Colfax, and made great progress. The contrasts are interesting.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Eh, Schuyler's gripings live on MSN if anyone is interested.

Maybe when it's all said and done, the 'In Memoriam' thread in Testing can get sent to the Hall of Shame or Parting Shots for posterity? It's got a lot of reference material and evidence re: Schuyler's banning.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Fuck that...parting shots is for at least people who has made some noise beyond what he did. Spammers get nothing.

He should feel glad we don't delete him, his posts and be done with it.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Ahhh, the HilaryDuff option. Yes, I sometimes wonder when someone else will earn the nuclear strike.

The SC era comes to a close, but I think it stands to show that we are willing to be merciful and give leeway to those who truly choose to amend their behavior.

And to those who don't? *punt*
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Feel free to nuke his posts, Colfax despite being a worthless spammer gets a parting shot thread, but all he gets is the two last MSN posts that Shroom had, I stole them from that thread and created a short parting shots post for him.

*Edit, here's the parting shots thread

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Upon reflection, nah. The two MSN statements Shroom provided is perfect. Nothing of what he did here, instead the reason for all to see when he thought that trying to circumvent and cheat the system gets him nothing here. Whether he'll learn anything is debateable, but who knows.

chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Knowing SC, what he'll learn will probably be "Damn, nobody can take a joke!"
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Coyote wrote:This discussion is now moot, but I'll leave it open for the time being. I think it is interesting to reflect on Mr. Colfax and what happened. A lot of people were very willing to go out of their way to help a wayward member of the community until it became clear that there was no hope. At the same time, we had Chitoryu, who went through the exact same thing at almost the same time as Colfax, and made great progress. The contrasts are interesting.
I also commented on this, in Chitoryu's discussion thread. The fact that the two cases happened simultaneously makes the dichotomy even more pronounced.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

It is pretty much like he was just sentenced to two years, and the very day he got in prison, he shivved someone and got life for it. I find the whole thing rather twistedly amusing, really. This thirty minutes of afternoon entertainment is the most that he ever contributed to the board.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:It is pretty much like he was just sentenced to two years, and the very day he got in prison, he shivved someone and got life for it. I find the whole thing rather twistedly amusing, really. This thirty minutes of afternoon entertainment is the most that he ever contributed to the board.
What it does is cut through the bullshit egalitarian bullshit people constructed around the case and left the actual problem laid bare. Don't try to cover it up. He was shit, covered in shit; where others took upon as their pet project to fix even though he had no interest to fix.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I'm still waiting for the lousey twats that keep saying we just had a vendetta against the kid to pop up with that shit now. Fucking told you douchebags what was up and no, had be all "rar! you've got a VENDETTA!". Well fuck you in your flaccid assholes! You know who are...
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

So who wants to start a betting pool for when he starts making new accounts? An IP ban isn't all that hard to get past but if he could act in a way to stay under the radar he wouldn't have had this problem in the first place. I brows the Parting Shots occasionally and it seems that people that go out like this sometimes tend to keep popping back up for a while.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:It is pretty much like he was just sentenced to two years, and the very day he got in prison, he shivved someone and got life for it. I find the whole thing rather twistedly amusing, really. This thirty minutes of afternoon entertainment is the most that he ever contributed to the board.
I have to agree, it was only in his death throes that he really was on my radar. As mentioned earlier, I had no real contact with him beyond what went on in Testing, none of which I took seriously because... it's Testing. It's for fun. You don't necessarily hold people to stuff that happens there; at least that's my take.

In this circus we've had not only chitoryu's situation serve as a contrast, but even Bluewolf, who "came back from the dead". Many people offered to help him out, I never bought into the vendetta thing tossed around. We were more than reasonable and patient. SC burned himself, and the cleverly saved chat headstones that Shroom saved are a fitting display of how not to stage-manage a reform for the sake of an audience.

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

So, the matter of Schuyler Colfax is ended, by his own hand.

For the record, I was one of the few Senators inclined toward leniency in Mr. Colfax's case. I thought him simply immature, not actually malicious, but that he deserved a chance to withdraw on his own hook and demonstrate that he was at least capable of that much maturity if he could keep to his word. If he could not manage that, it would have been by his own hand that he would have drawn heavier sanction.

Well, he drew it. Colfax could not have made a more eloquent case for the banhammer than the attempt to circumvent the Senate's sanction. We are well rid of him.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Knife wrote:
What it does is cut through the bullshit egalitarian bullshit people constructed around the case and left the actual problem laid bare. Don't try to cover it up. He was shit, covered in shit; where others took upon as their pet project to fix even though he had no interest to fix.
*shrug* I wanted a one-year temp ban because I thought that a permban wouldn't pass.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

It's really astonishing the way he approaches Shroom after he gets permbanned. "Make it look like I was just joking," he says, betraying a seemingly instinctive tendency to lies and dissembling as well as having absolutely no conception whatsoever of the way that would make Shroom himself look. "Fix it!" he snarls, as though ordering Shroom around, sounding like a spoiled 3-year-old brat. As though SDN is his personal toy and Shroom just broke it.

You know, that's it, right there. He thinks of SDN as a toy. He didn't treat his betters around here as authorities, or friends, or even people. He clearly didn't consider for even one second the notion of actually cooperating with anyone; his toy was just breaking, and he wanted to fix it so he could play with it again. I never really understood why he was banning material (as opposed to just annoying) before this incident.
"Guys, don't do that"
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Yeah, the "Fix it!" comments stood out to me as well. I don't think he ever understood the trouble that he was in when the Senate began to discuss his case. A Senate decision isn't going to be reversed because a member says "Oh, he was only kidding". Failfax never accepted the fact that his actions could have lasting consequences. He had this sense of entitlement when it came to the forums, and his solicitation to Shroomy for his account is just another demonstration of this. I think that Failfax believed he deserved access to the forums, no matter how he got it.

The chat logs reveal even greater problems than what I suspected. Good riddance.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Knife wrote:
*shrug* I wanted a one-year temp ban because I thought that a permban wouldn't pass.

'Tis my problem with the whole affair. I was more than willing to give the kid a chance in the start of the whole drama, but as it progressed, along with the vote, his drama escalated while the sympathy of the vote increased. As it ended, he was obviously not in a position to deserve the mercy he got from the court. As it turns out, we were too 'fair' to him.

I, as you, were more than willing to vote temp ban to him. I voted, outing myself, perm ban with an option of lesser. Without going 'neener' on others, he indeed deserved a perm-o-ban.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red