"Joke Nominations"

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Locked
User avatar
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!
Posts: 11182
Joined: 2002-09-20 05:25am
Location: Mars, where I am a totally bitchin' rockstar.

"Joke Nominations"

Post by Darth Fanboy » 2009-01-25 08:38pm

Okay, so some of the nominations weren't to the liking of the Senators. But there is quite a few qualified candidates that were nominated and there are still 16 Abstaining voters. Bounty, J, and Thanas are no exactly joke nominations.

So unless the only nominees are Ray245, a taco, and a cigarette butt (or at least all confirmed joke nominees) then I don't think Senators should be bitching. This isn't personal, but even if after all the candidates are scurtinized there is still a "no" option.

If it really is that much of a point of contention where people will start getting severe diarrhea over it, then just set a limit where if someone isn't elected after getting nominated six or seven times then they can't be a Senator EVER.

At this time i'm also going to add an item to this movement granting my state $400 million for a "tunnel to the center of the earth"
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.

User avatar
Havok
Miscreant
Posts: 13016
Joined: 2005-07-02 10:41pm
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Havok » 2009-01-25 08:51pm

So what is they abstain. They aren't even required to nominate someone. The abstain option just means they are aware of the vote and not ignoring it and aren't inactive, or as a few Senators have said, they have no issue with the nominees themselves, just the adding of new Senators at all.
Image
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

User avatar
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
Posts: 5776
Joined: 2004-02-26 09:44pm
Location: I have returned

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Phantasee » 2009-01-26 02:59am

Next candidate: TACO

Soft-shell, cuz that hard-shell bullshit won't fly on my watch. Pain in the ass...


Abstain doesn't mean shit, Wilkens recently stated that abstains aren't counted when determining a winner, whoever has the most votes wins, even if 99% of votes went to abstain and one vote went to one candidate, that guy wins.
XXIX

User avatar
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage
Posts: 19553
Joined: 2003-02-12 10:59pm
Location: Tahalshia Manor

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by LadyTevar » 2009-01-26 04:17pm

Which is why we need a "none of the above" option in these votes.
Image
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

User avatar
Dark Lord of the Bith
Youngling
Posts: 70
Joined: 2005-04-21 12:57pm

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Dark Lord of the Bith » 2009-01-26 06:00pm

Proposal: Nominations made by the HoC must be seconded by a Senator. This would make it less likely that a joke nomination makes it to the vote, and if one does, it's because someone with the power to vote felt the nomination was worthy of consideration, and therefore, in fact, not a joke nomination.
Urgo: I want to live! I want to experience the universe! I want to eat pie!
Col O'Neill: Who doesn't?

JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker
Posts: 1979
Joined: 2004-06-12 03:09am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by JointStrikeFighter » 2009-01-26 06:10pm

If only the senate showed some initive and jsut didnt include ray in the vote. BUT NO THAT WOULD VIOLATE PROCEDURE.

User avatar
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997
Posts: 17772
Joined: 2003-11-12 01:10pm
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Rogue 9 » 2009-01-26 06:11pm

LadyTevar wrote:Which is why we need a "none of the above" option in these votes.
You know, if you're so dead-set in the notion that no one else should ever be a Senator regardless of qualification because there are already enough, why keep beating around the bush? Propose an amendment to the Senate rules barring further nominations and be done with it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

User avatar
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9093
Joined: 2002-07-06 01:24am
Location: Land of the Crabcake
Contact:

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by CmdrWilkens » 2009-01-26 09:39pm

Rogue 9 wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Which is why we need a "none of the above" option in these votes.
You know, if you're so dead-set in the notion that no one else should ever be a Senator regardless of qualification because there are already enough, why keep beating around the bush? Propose an amendment to the Senate rules barring further nominations and be done with it.
Well we are actively considering that right now.
Image
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven

User avatar
Knife
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 15439
Joined: 2002-08-30 02:40pm
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
Contact:

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Knife » 2009-01-27 01:30am

JointStrikeFighter wrote:If only the senate showed some initive and jsut didnt include ray in the vote. BUT NO THAT WOULD VIOLATE PROCEDURE.
Sure, but what about the next time when the Senate doesn't include some joke nomination you happen to like? Good fucking god look out for the whine.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red

User avatar
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Posts: 12797
Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Flagg » 2009-01-27 01:41am

JointStrikeFighter wrote:If only the senate showed some initive and jsut didnt include ray in the vote. BUT NO THAT WOULD VIOLATE PROCEDURE.

Then people would bitch that they were breaking rules, and rightfully so. The solution would be that every nomination must include at least 2 examples showing the nominees worth as a poster. That would curb 'joke' nominations.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Posts: 12797
Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Flagg » 2009-01-27 01:43am

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Which is why we need a "none of the above" option in these votes.
You know, if you're so dead-set in the notion that no one else should ever be a Senator regardless of qualification because there are already enough, why keep beating around the bush? Propose an amendment to the Senate rules barring further nominations and be done with it.
Well we are actively considering that right now.
I'd have no problem with a cap as long as it meant that every single senator who was "grandfathered in" got the boot and only those elected were allowed to remain with new elections to fill any vacant seats.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw

JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker
Posts: 1979
Joined: 2004-06-12 03:09am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by JointStrikeFighter » 2009-01-27 05:37am

Flagg wrote: I'd have no problem with a cap as long as it meant that every single senator who was "grandfathered in" got the boot and only those elected were allowed to remain with new elections to fill any vacant seats.
PROTIP: It wouldn't

User avatar
Coyote
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 12464
Joined: 2002-08-23 01:20am
Location: The glorious Sun-Barge! Isis, Isis, Ra,Ra,Ra!
Contact:

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Coyote » 2009-01-27 08:30am

JointStrikeFighter wrote:If only the senate showed some initive and jsut didnt include ray in the vote. BUT NO THAT WOULD VIOLATE PROCEDURE.

Mmm, yes.... someone is nominated, and we ignore him. That won't add one iota of commentary about 'old boy club elitism', no sir.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."


In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!

User avatar
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 9093
Joined: 2002-07-06 01:24am
Location: Land of the Crabcake
Contact:

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by CmdrWilkens » 2009-01-27 01:32pm

JointStrikeFighter wrote:If only the senate showed some initive and jsut didnt include ray in the vote. BUT NO THAT WOULD VIOLATE PROCEDURE.
Others have made some good points in this but I'd rather address the underlying distaste that seems evident in your post. The idea that the rules are there just to be rules.

The reason why the rules exist in their current form is an attempt, largely on my part, to create an open and clear standard by which the Senate membership will be apportioned. We went through a long period of consistent complaints that the Senate was an "elitist" or "old boys club" sort of forum that didn't listen to the baord as whole or do its job. The rules as proposed and voted on (though the "rules" thread itself has not been updated) was designed to, as best as possible, address those concerns by providing for the board atlarge to nominate those members they felt would be good Senators. Sure you consider some of those nominations a joke but the problem is "joke nomination" is a completely undefined quantity, that is there is NO OBJECTIVE STANDARD TO CLASSIFY a "JOKE" NOMINATION.

Lets take Shroom as an example. He tends to be erratic at best but one can look at his postivie contributions in STGOD and think that he could certainly be a worthwhile Senator. I like Shroom but I disagree, the problme is that his nomination is not automatically a "joke" just because there is a pereption by folks that this is the case. One person's "joke" nomination is another persons compeltely serious nomination.

Now the old rules (currently still in he rules thread) allowed for the Chancellor to remove any nomnation from consideration at his/her discretion. I eliminated that rule because the first time I did so people would start bitching that I had no reason to do so.

What I challenge you to do is come up with an objective standard for declaring someone a "joke" nomination and if nobody can well I'm pretty tempted to just bring back the "Chancellor's discretion" rule.
Image
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven

User avatar
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)
Posts: 35211
Joined: 2002-07-21 02:38am
Location: Dave's Not Here Man
Contact:

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by The Yosemite Bear » 2009-05-18 02:21am

hey now I spent months nominating Mike's dog which never got seconded back in the old days. In an homage to Caligula's nomination of a horse. So in the tradition I have now nominated Edi's new Bengal Kitteh
Image

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin

User avatar
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance
Posts: 27779
Joined: 2002-09-24 01:48pm
Location: DC...looking up from the gutters to the stars

Re: "Joke Nominations"

Post by Ghost Rider » 2009-05-18 12:25pm

Sometimes Colin...I just wonder why.

Locking.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete

Locked