VOTE: Cannon Emote

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.

Should the "Cannon" emote be removed from the board?

Poll ended at 2009-01-28 06:11pm

Yes, get rid of it.
46%
No, get over yourselves.
42%
Abstain
12%

Total votes: 83

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

VOTE: Cannon Emote

Post by Flagg »

Should the " :kill: " emote be removed from the board?

I voted "no" as even though I find it annoying as all fuck, there are options available to those who find it truly intolerable and I see no reason to deny the use of it to those so inclined.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Re: VOTE: Cannon Emote

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Voted no, same reasons as Flagg.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

Could we at least replace it with this one?

Voted No because I really don't care if people use it or not.
Get some
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Couldn't care less either way so "Abstain"
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Get rid of it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Voted no, as I am for as many emoticons as we can have to chose from.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Why are you even bothering the admin staff with this trivial crap? If it was a total overhaul of the smiley set, i.e. take out a few annoying ones and put in a load of new cool ones, that's fine. But one fairly inoffensive image that a few tight-asses find annoying? Yeah, I voted 'get over yourselves'.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Only if the following smiley is added. Image
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Holy shit. Enough with the self whoring.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

havokeff wrote:Holy shit. Enough with the self whoring.
Don't listen to him Snuggly Swimmer Babe.
Get some
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

havokeff wrote:Holy shit. Enough with the self whoring.
Now that you mention it, I should make a bunch of faces in front of a camera and enter them as the new smiley set.
AND YOU WILL LOVE IT!
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Voted.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ugh.. you nerds make me sick sometimes. :kill:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I chose asstain... I meant abstain.

No matter what we do here will not likely mean anything to anyone. So let us continue this pointless exercise, shall we? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Enigma wrote:I chose asstain... I meant abstain.

No matter what we do here will not likely mean anything to anyone. So let us continue this pointless exercise, shall we? :)

I don't think it's pointless to let the senate know what the board at large thinks about an issue. Even one as trivial as this. It's what the HoC was made for, so we should damned well use it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

I'd rather more emotes if anything, but I get the feeling I just Image. I recommend any of the following as additions or replacements.

Also, public service announcement: Image
Image Image
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

The really hilarious part of this is that people seem to think deleting the smiley from the board software would actually prevent anyone from using it... Because no one uses picture hosting sites, right? Right? Guys... Throw me a friggin' bone here...
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Mr. Coffee wrote:The really hilarious part of this is that people seem to think deleting the smiley from the board software would actually prevent anyone from using it... Because no one uses picture hosting sites, right? Right? Guys... Throw me a friggin' bone here...
Then just like the other random ones, they can be hosted elsewhere (such as imageshack) and used by users. I don't see the value in keeping such a limited-use smilie along with the other site-hosted ones.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Has it occured to you that smileys aren't used often period? The most commonly used one is :roll: and that only pops up, what, once every few pages of a large thread or once every few threads? By you're retarded logic then we should have any smilies at all because people don't use them much.

Seriously, why does this :kill: or this :wanker: or any other smiley bother you? Can anyone give me an actual reason that doesn't involve stupid shit like "it's ugly" or "it's annoying"? So far all I've seen is the cannon smiley breaks up text formatting a little, but every time I've seen it used it wasn't in the middle of a sentence, sot hat's not an issue. In closing, unless someone can give a valid reason for why we should get rid of it, everyone objecting to it are just...
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Has it occured to you that smileys aren't used often period?
Often, and I'm very glad for it.
Mr. Coffee wrote:The most commonly used one is :roll: and that only pops up, what, once every few pages of a large thread or once every few threads? By you're retarded logic then we should have any smilies at all because people don't use them much.
That would be kicking my logic down a hill and calling it a slippery slope fallacy, actually. I specifically stated that due to its relative lack of use (and its use) compared to the rest, and due to the size per post that it takes, I don't see it as a valuable addition to the smilie selection.
Mr. Coffee wrote:Seriously, why does this :kill: or this :wanker: or any other smiley bother you? Can anyone give me an actual reason that doesn't involve stupid shit like "it's ugly" or "it's annoying"? So far all I've seen is the cannon smiley breaks up text formatting a little, but every time I've seen it used it wasn't in the middle of a sentence, sot hat's not an issue. In closing, unless someone can give a valid reason for why we should get rid of it, everyone objecting to it are just...
That's basically it, that this particular smilie breaks up text formatting. The others you gave as examples don't because they don't break up text formatting as much, and are more easily ignored.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

rhoenix wrote:Often, and I'm very glad for it.
So basically your only objection is "I don't like smiles".
rhoenix wrote:That would be kicking my logic down a hill and calling it a slippery slope fallacy, actually. I specifically stated that due to its relative lack of use (and its use) compared to the rest, and due to the size per post that it takes, I don't see it as a valuable addition to the smilie selection.
Bullshit, your argument can be applied to all of the smiles the board has. Also, is a 2.2kb .gif makes for such a large change in the size of the post, then I gotta ask if you're still running 56k or some shit?
Mr. Coffee wrote:That's basically it, that this particular smilie breaks up text formatting. The others you gave as examples don't because they don't break up text formatting as much, and are more easily ignored.
And the only time most anyone ever uses that .gif isn't in the middile of a sentence, so breaking formatting isn't an issue. Any other useless objections or can you just admit that this whole exercise in trying to dump a smiley is a waste of time?
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Mr. Coffee wrote:So basically your only objection is "I don't like smiles".
Incorrect. You're attempting to reduce my argument down to absurdity, and failing hilariously.
Mr. Coffee wrote:Bullshit, your argument can be applied to all of the smiles the board has. Also, is a 2.2kb .gif makes for such a large change in the size of the post, then I gotta ask if you're still running 56k or some shit?
I re-read this paragraph four times, trying to see some way that you were answering what I actually wrote, and the only conclusions I could reach were either that you didn't actually read what I wrote, or I was somehow unclear.

I'm not going to re-explain, especially as you quoted the part of my post where I clarify what you're asking.
Mr. Coffee wrote:And the only time most nayone ever uses that .gif isn't in the missile of a sentence, so breaking formatting isn't an issue. Any other useless objections or can you just admit that this whole exercise in trying to dump a smiley is a waste of time?
Well, I'm glad someone got appointed as the Chief In Charge of Ensuring Time Is Not Wasted department - I certainly hope you do well in your new post. I fully commend His Timeliness for pointing out that a waste of time such as this would obviously cause the forums to collapse into a heap of random bits, melting the server and whatever shelf it sits on, and thus making sure that whoever's physically hosting the server doesn't have a fire. Good work.

There have been several examples over the past few days where people have used it in posts, where it added nothing but "LOL I SHOOT BIG GUN" to a post. In fact, it was seeing those that prompted me to make my opinion known in the first place.

Since you seem to object so strongly to the very idea that this smilie might removed, what particular use do you see for it being kept? Can you name a single occasion where it would be appropriate in a forum other than Testing?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

rhoenix wrote:Incorrect. You're attempting to reduce my argument down to absurdity, and failing hilariously.
That's because your argument IS absurd. First you say it's because it's annoying, then it's because it never gets used, then it's some absurd shit about it being to big 9lol 2.2kb is soooo huge), and then it's because it breaks text format. The only two that actually have any meaning are the size and formatting issues, and both of those have been shot down.

Your objection is basically "I don't like it because, um... I don't like it".

rhoenix wrote:I re-read this paragraph four times, trying to see some way that you were answering what I actually wrote, and the only conclusions I could reach were either that you didn't actually read what I wrote, or I was somehow unclear.
So you didn't understand that your argument against the kill smile not being used very often can be applied to all smiles or that your "it adds to much size" bullshit is absurd as the kill smile is only a 2.2kb 4 frame .gif? Pretty straight forward. One is in regards to one of your lame arguments, the other addresses your other lame argument.

rhoenix wrote:I'm not going to re-explain, especially as you quoted the part of my post where I clarify what you're asking.
And yet you continue responding... Seriously, just shut the hell up already.

rhoenix wrote:Well, I'm glad someone got appointed as the Chief In Charge of Ensuring Time Is Not Wasted department - I certainly hope you do well in your new post. I fully commend His Timeliness for pointing out that a waste of time such as this would obviously cause the forums to collapse into a heap of random bits, melting the server and whatever shelf it sits on, and thus making sure that whoever's physically hosting the server doesn't have a fire. Good work.
Wow, so you're saying that we should remove the kill .gif because it's a waste of system resources, but when it's pointed out that having a fucking debate about removing a fucking smile is wasting more board resources then an entire months worth of the smile's use does you suddenly switch tracks...

Way to fail, asshat.

rhoenix wrote:There have been several examples over the past few days where people have used it in posts, where it added nothing but "LOL I SHOOT BIG GUN" to a post. In fact, it was seeing those that prompted me to make my opinion known in the first place.
Yeah, the recent use of the kill .gif couldn't possibly have anything to do with there being yet another completely useless HoC thread that is about that .gif specifically, right....

rhoenix wrote:Since you seem to object so strongly to the very idea that this smilie might removed, what particular use do you see for it being kept? Can you name a single occasion where it would be appropriate in a forum other than Testing?
I don't have to provide a reason for why it should be kept as it's already a part of the fucking board, moron. Since you want to have it removed you have to provide an actual reason for it, and you still have yet to give one single credible reason for getting rid of it that doesn't boil down to "it annoys me".
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The monkey rocks! And I'd totally hit the snuggly swimmer babe. I'm also going to save the can o' worms one too!

Oh, yeah. Voted, too.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

BTW, ummm... [kicks back, picks teeth, examines fingernails, swills some rum] since we don't have a way to measure a 'quorum' here, how long d'ya want this here "poll" thingy to stay open before we consider the matter closed?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!