Bubble Boy & Alyrium Denryle read this

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Bubble Boy & Alyrium Denryle read this

Post by Mr Bean »

Until such time as I can get the Coliseum unlocked for general posting I want both of you to post to this thread as it if where the Coliseum itself. Until further notice I'll take whatever you post here, split it off and them merge it onto the existing verses thread here.

Once the forum is open up to can continue as normal.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Re: Bubble Boy & Alyrium Denryle read this

Post by Ghost Rider »

Also any supermod can do this too. Just post here and one of us lazy bastards will get to it.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Will do, thanks guys.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Or, you can PM us the post, and we'll post it and then change the attribution. We can do that now, you know.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

fgalkin wrote:Or, you can PM us the post, and we'll post it and then change the attribution. We can do that now, you know.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Quiet you! That's our secret plan to destroy the subversive rebellion!
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

I trust that I have some amount of time to respond to Alyrium's counter arguement...how much time is reasonable? Would asking for the weekend be too much?

I only have a few hours of time after work during the work week, but during the weekend I can usually squeeze in extra time obviously. Rest assured I don't by any means intent to pull a Voluntaryist with excuses regarding delay after delay, I will reply as quickly as possible. I'm obviously not invested in this debate to win, but I do aim to try and get something of a quality counter out there.

I ask because his verbose reply (not meant negatively ;)) and invoking of somewhat extensive biology terminology and understanding will require some amount of effort on my part to properly absorb and attempt to counter with some semblance of sanity.

I've obviously been aiming for a twist on logical interpretation, and he's deftly manuevered it far more into biology terroritory. I'm not a biologist; I'd normally yield to the superior expertise. Damn you, man! :P
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'm going to declare 96 hours as the maxim, four full days from now.

In the future the time between posts will be agreed on between the two debaters before the Coliseum match starts. If Alyrium wants less time or more you two can PM hash it out between you.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Mr Bean wrote:I'm going to declare 96 hours as the maxim, four full days from now.

In the future the time between posts will be agreed on between the two debaters before the Coliseum match starts. If Alyrium wants less time or more you two can PM hash it out between you.
*nods* Fair enough. The time issue is purely for my interest in making a quality reply. I already PMed him about it.

I will endeavor to spit out my reply quickly for all concerned.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Addendum: I should point out that my request for time limitations is merely my way of determining my safety net; there's no reason I shouldn't be able to commit a couple of hours towards my reply tomorrow and the next if need be, and I don't really see why I'd need to take even that long for a quality (I use the term loosely in this regard) post.

I need to remind myself that (as far as I'm concerned and obviously others) I'm trying to defend an indefensible position, hence my 'worry' about trying to make an effective stand. There really isn't one, but I'm doing my best to prop one up anyhow. ;)
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

BTW: How do people like my tone in that thing? Ought I tone it down, ham it up, keep it the same?
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:BTW: How do people like my tone in that thing? Ought I tone it down, ham it up, keep it the same?
I'd prefer most comments or a dedicated comment thread held off until the end of the match to prevent a repeat of the Voly style dogpiling.

*Edit
This is after all a Coliseum match. The whole damn point is that it's between two members and two members alone.

Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:BTW: How do people like my tone in that thing? Ought I tone it down, ham it up, keep it the same?
Less facetiousness would be appreciated. Also (not sure about others, may be just my deteriorating eyes) the italics makes it a little difficult to read; I feel like I have to strain to make out if any text is bolded or not.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Fire Fly wrote:
Less facetiousness would be appreciated. Also (not sure about others, may be just my deteriorating eyes) the italics makes it a little difficult to read; I feel like I have to strain to make out if any text is bolded or not.

I use subsilver, which uses dark text instead of white text... That is probably what does it.

Not a problem, will rectify.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

I'm writing up my response as of now; based on what I've completely so far, if I'm extremely optimistic, it's possible I could have it up tonight. But don't hold me to that.

I'd rather take an extra day to pour over it and aim for a quality response rather than a speedy one.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Ok, I submitted my response to fgalkin. It will obviously be up when he makes it so.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

I have an exam at 8 in the morning, so will get to your argument after that... and looking over it... Clever, but it wont help you ;)

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Alyrium Denryle wrote:I have an exam at 8 in the morning, so will get to your argument after that... and looking over it... Clever, but it wont help you ;)
Quite frankly, given the position I'm trying to fight for, I consider clever quite a compliment! :)
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post submitted to fgalkin

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Post submitted to fgalkin
And I thought the last one was fucking hard! :P

Ah, my pro evolution side, how I miss thee. ;)

I'll get around to posting my third and final closing argument within the next day or two. I shouldn't have a problem getting it up on Saturday.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Bubble Boy wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Post submitted to fgalkin
And I thought the last one was fucking hard! :P

Ah, my pro evolution side, how I miss thee. ;)

I'll get around to posting my third and final closing argument within the next day or two. I shouldn't have a problem getting it up on Saturday.
Yeah... I kinda took classes on formal logic as an undergrad...

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

I'm currently in the process of writing up my last response and closing arguments.

From what I can tell, there's about ten direct points I need to address rather than six like last time, so it'll take a little longer. But I still aim to have it up sometime today.

The Coliseum commentry thread has pointed out some notable deficiencies in my tactics, particularly with regards to my image linking 'argument' on the infinite regress angle.

I can't deny that, and agree it was quite lacking. But in my own defense, the infinite regress arguement is one of the most powerful anti ID arguements out there, and it was the final one I was trying to circumvent in some sort of new fashion rather than just spitting out the typical ID garbage.

All my other arguements were finished, and I was stuck on that one.

Needless to say, I had a choice of either ignoring it or trying to fight it somehow; I picked the latter...don't crucify me because of it's strength. :P

Nevertheless, I will endeavor to try harder on that particular angle to appease the masses.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

I've completed my third and final post for the Coliseum and I've PM'd Mr Bean the copy.

:cry: ...I feel dirty. Someone give me a hug and a book on Evolutionary so I can curl up and sleep with it! :D
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Alright. I hope to have something up tomorrow night, but it kinda depends how a coffee date with a cute guy goes... If it goes particularly well, I will have to get to it on monday ;)

Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Alright. I hope to have something up tomorrow night, but it kinda depends how a coffee date with a cute guy goes... If it goes particularly well, I will have to get to it on monday ;)
Hey, since when did we allow real life to get in the way here? :P

By all means, take your time, I want to enjoy the illusion of victory! ;)
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Bubble Boy wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Alright. I hope to have something up tomorrow night, but it kinda depends how a coffee date with a cute guy goes... If it goes particularly well, I will have to get to it on monday ;)
Hey, since when did we allow real life to get in the way here? :P

By all means, take your time, I want to enjoy the illusion of victory! ;)

Hey now, I have not had sex in a year and a half, and it has been even longer since I actually dated.

As for illusion of victory... My closing statement will crush you.