[VOTE] General (Board-Wide) Moderators

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.

Who are the favorites to add to Moderating staff?

Broomstick
21%
Bubble Boy
3%
Lonestar
18%
Stas Bush
29%
Coyote
29%

Total votes: 226

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

[VOTE] General (Board-Wide) Moderators

Post by Coyote »

Here are the people running:

GENERAL MODSHIPS:
1 -Broomstick (US Central Time Zone)
2 -Bubble Boy (US Mountain Time)
3 -Lonestar (US Eastern Time)
4 -Stas Bush (Russia/Omsk: GMT +6)
5 -Coyote (US Mountain Time)

You can vote for all of them, or just one, if you want. This will be used as a gauge by the Admins to determine general support; remember, Darth Wong and the Governors have final say.

If all the candidates get a lot of vote support, that means they are all popular choices and, in theory, all 5 could be added if they meet the Admins approval. On the other hand, if only one or two get much real support, and the rest only garner a couple votes, then that, too, can help the Admins make some determinations.

Good luck to all candidates!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Mayabird
Storytime!

Re: [VOTE] General (Board-Wide) Moderators

Post by Mayabird »

EDIT: good point.
Last edited by Mayabird on 2008-12-08 02:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm sure we can do this anonymously Maybird. No reason to single people out and hurt their feelers any more then when they click the "view" button. :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Voted.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Voted: SPQSDN
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Done
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Broomstick gets too easily in a huff on many N&P topics, which is understandable but does not befit someone whose explicit person is to moderate a discussion.

Yes for the rest.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Moderating a discussion doesn't automatically imply someone is involved in the discussion.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

havokeff wrote:Moderating a discussion doesn't automatically imply someone is involved in the discussion.
If anything, a discussion shouldn't be moderated by someone who's involved in it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Agreed. And IIRC the mods on this board are good at stepping back from from threads as Mods if they are involved, while still participating.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Voted. Stas Bush really should get this, given that he is both a good, level-headed (usually :) ) debater and he's in a time zone that hardly anyone else can cover.
X-Ray Blues
Redshirt

Post by X-Ray Blues »

I made this post on my blog, hoping that one of my millions of loyal readers would post it to the HoC. Then I made an account to post in the HoC. So...yeah. This is too late for the votes in the HoC, but hopefully Mike and my fellow mods will take a look at this, since I can't participate in the debate in the mod forum.
Redimperator wrote:Here we go, forum by forum. Note that unless otherwise noted, forum mods would be in charge of the subforums as well:

SWvST: I think Vympel and Ghost Rider can handle this on their own, seeing as it's so low-traffic. If we want another mod in there, I'd recommend Lonestar.
PSW: Coyote has volunteered for this one, so let him have it as a "second" forum. Otherwise, I don't see much need for new mods.
PST: I'd like to keep this slot. I also think Bounty is perfect for this job--I've read some of his criticism of how PST has been modded (which is obviously directed at me), and I think he's dead-on. I haven't been doing my job well enough there. If a third mod is needed, or if The Powers That Be want me elsewhere, Gandalf is a good #2.
FF: Mayabird has put her name forward, and I think she's a fine choice. Incidentally, why isn't Mayabird a Senator? She's smart, she's got her head screwed on straight, and almost everything she posts is relevant and interesting.
OSF: While NecronLord and Fgalkin are already doing a good job here, if we wanted more people, this would be a good fit for GrandMasterTerwyn. Bounty and Mayabird could also take OSF as a second forum, since PST and FF are so low-traffic.
FAN: LadyTevar seems like a natural choice here, in addition to Ghost Rider and her husband. Also, I'd bring in Lonestar. And this is going to come off as biased, but fuck it, she's a good choice: Metatwaddle. She's smart, level-headed, loves fantasy, and she'd have a good tutor.
Fiction Block Mods: I'm somewhat reluctant to recommend brand new mods to be block mods, so for the time being, I'd let NecronLord and SirNitram handle this.

And on the non-fiction side of the board:
SLAM: Surlethe (duh). Also Publius, if he wants the job, and GrandMasterTerwyn.
OT: OT is a good forum for new mods, because it's active and easy. Havokeff wants this one, and he'd be a good fit. Bounty and Mayabird could take OT as a second if OSF is full. Lonestar, Broomstick, and Hotfoot could also take OT as a second forum.
-History: Stas Bush is a natural choice. I'd add Simplicius as a backup and Coyote as a third, if needed.
AMP: AMP is a quiet, well-behaved forum. The only mod I'd add is Simplicius.
N&P: The local firepit. First off, I want a slot here. I would also add Terwyn, Simplicius, Coyote, and Surlethe, plus Stas Bush if we need more firepower (incidentally, if it were up to me, I would elevate those five to mods immediately, even if I couldn't think of any slots for them).
-Famous Threads: Fgalkin is the Keeper of the Lore, isn't he? Let this be his project.
G&C: I'm surprised not to have seen Ace Pace's name brought up for this slot. I'll correct that oversight--I think he'd do a fine job. This forum polices itself pretty well, so I don't think we need anyone else.
-STGOD: Lonestar would be a good choice. Also, if we need another G&C mod, let him take both.
ARSE: I don't need this one anymore, so I'd give my slot to Broomstick.
Nonfiction Block Mods: Myself, Pablo Sanchez, Edi, and Frank Hipper, to start.

Other forums:
Hall of Shame: I'm going to buck the trend and say I don't see any point to restoring the Horsemen. I'd just go ahead and dissolve the position and leave the HoS in the hands of the supermods directly.
The Imperial Senate
: CmdrWilkens (really, did you expect anyone else?). I'd make him chancellor, or, if Mike wants to leave that post for Rob Wilson, Deputy Chancellor in his absence. Also, just by the by, I've read his proposed new Senate rules and I think they're excellent and should be passed as soon as possible. Also, I'd let him have access to the mod forum. He'd be a good voice to have in there.
-House of Commons: Coyote and Hotfoot are doing a fine job here. I'd also give them both access to the mod forum, if they don't already have it.
The Coliseum: Simplicius wants this, Ace Pace has made a lot of good suggestions, and I know Surlethe has been trying mightily to make it work. Note that modding the Coliseum would also include playing the role of MC, and organizing the matches. Frankly, it was a lousy idea to put the Senate in charge of setting up matches. Fuck that shit. If two people want to fight in the Coliseum, let the Coliseum mods decide if the topic is worthy and what the rules will be.
Parting Shots: No mods necessary.
Testing: Testing is mine, bitches.
RedImperator
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Voted.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Presumeably there's no problem with my voting for others on the list despite being a minor contender, and I've mentioned my choices previously. :)
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I've chosen Broomstick\Stas.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Amy fairly explicitly stated she never, ever wants to be in the Senate, thus why I've never nominated her for the Senate--even when I offered to do it so she could be the first person to refuse appointment to the Senate, she still didn't even want to bother with that. I can't speak to her interest in moderating, however, though she'd certainly be incredible at it (just like she's essentially incredible with everything she does), but since you put that up, RI, I figured I'd answer your question implicit in it.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Yeah, I'll say it directly: I don't want to be in the Senate. I just don't.

But being a mod of Fanfics, OSF, or OT - yeah, I could do that. I check them out pretty frequently, and they rarely get too heated (unlike, well, N&P). So if you wanted to throw my name in for Phase 2 voting, I'm good with it.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

erik_t wrote:Broomstick gets too easily in a huff on many N&P topics, which is understandable but does not befit someone whose explicit person is to moderate a discussion.
I am aware that that view is held by some, which is precisely why when I accepted the nomination I stated that N&P (and 2 others) may not be the best place for me as a new moderator but there are certainly other forums where I have been active and impartial. I will also point to the fact that in the past when a moderator has told me to back down, cool it, or shut the fuck up I have done so without backtalk as evidence that even when pretty worked up I'm not out of control. I can assure you that if a thread requires moderation and I'm one of the "heated" participants I will ask another moderator to step in, but of course you have to believe I am capable of that before you vote for me.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Broomstick is sometimes frustrating to argue against, specifically when she constantly cries 'too long didn't read' (or the equivalent) in response to specific technical evidence. However I get the impression she is mature and impartial enough to do a decent job as a mod. She isn't any more prone to getting emotionally involved in arguments than many of the existing mods.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Broomstick wrote:
erik_t wrote:Broomstick gets too easily in a huff on many N&P topics, which is understandable but does not befit someone whose explicit person is to moderate a discussion.
I am aware that that view is held by some, which is precisely why when I accepted the nomination I stated that N&P (and 2 others) may not be the best place for me as a new moderator but there are certainly other forums where I have been active and impartial. I will also point to the fact that in the past when a moderator has told me to back down, cool it, or shut the fuck up I have done so without backtalk as evidence that even when pretty worked up I'm not out of control. I can assure you that if a thread requires moderation and I'm one of the "heated" participants I will ask another moderator to step in, but of course you have to believe I am capable of that before you vote for me.
Well, I didn't, but I don't think the board's problems can be rectified with MODSPAM anyway.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

voted
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The votes will be open until Friday morning, my time (about noon GMT). At that point I'll lock them and the Admin Staff will have all the time in the world to contemplate the board's recommendations.

Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

My will be done....again.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.