Bi-cameral legislature?

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Re: Bi-cameral legislature?

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:Here's a thought... Instead of tossing out retarded ideas that you already won't work or might even make things worse we just not propose retarded ideas. Just saying...

Because it might stimulate people to think of better ideas that will work.

I do this a lot, actually, propose things I know are extreme when I can't think of anything better in hopes that someone will rebut me with a better idea, so I can learn what it is and adopt it for myself.

Skimmer can vouch for the fact that I have done this for years and it's not some sort of backpedaling.
Given the amount of drama alot of your proposals cause maybe you should stop making so many.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Nobody's forcing you to spend any time on this if you don't want to.

And Marina has a point about stimulating discussion.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Then stimulate productive discussion. Quit wasting people's time with ideas that you know are crap.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Mr. Coffee wrote:It wouldn't. This is yet another lame idea from the HoC...
Ah, but the idea is from a Senator, so this is clear evidence that the Senate is deliberately attempting to sabotage the HoC :lol:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

If we do this, the Senate's purpose becomes highly questionable. Since the House is open to everyone, you might as well just put all decisions not made by by Admin decree to popular vote and shut the Senate down, right?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:No, the House of Commons and Senate would become a combined advisory body, just like the US House and Senate.

I'm not sure it's a good idea, but it's one counterproposal to be considered, at any rate.

If the House votes it down, they would have stopped the measure from passing. It could be re-opened and re-discussed but I think that would be rather rare.
Their were specific reasons for the setup in the US. As I recall, their was a conflict over weather to give each state equal voice, or base representation on population. The US system represents a compromise to that problem. No such situation exists here, so a different justification will be required.

Note I'm not condeming this idea. I believe in democracy, and my personal inclination is to offer this idea some support. But it hasn't really been justified by anything I've yet read, and their are implications that need to be adressed, specifically the resulting uselessness of the Senate and a slowdown/clogging of the board's response to issues.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:Given the amount of drama alot of your proposals cause maybe you should stop making so many.
Alternatively, people could stop taking everything so seriously.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Adrian Laguna wrote:Alternatively, people could stop taking everything so seriously.
If you want banning and titling people to be pure comedy, then show trials it is. Actually I'm all for that, frankly those old threads look pretty fun to me. The 'use more temp bans' proposal fits right in with that.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Adrian Laguna wrote:Alternatively, people could stop taking everything so seriously.
I've already suggested that the 'lol I was just kidding obviously' emoticon needs to be installed. Not being part of the old boys club, I'll just be ignored for making a spurious and humourous suggestion. :lol:

Oh sorry I missed your cop-out there.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

What emoticon is that?

Is it like the new Hitler emoticon? //:-=|

Ohhh, shit, did I just Godwin? I wasn't trying to.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It's speculative, I haven't seen any likely candidates. But the sentiment is used at least as often as the 'my face is an arrow pointing right' sentiment, so I figure it deserves a spot. I'm sure the emoticon people can suggest something relevant.
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

Isn't it :V ?
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Stark wrote:I've already suggested that the 'lol I was just kidding obviously' emoticon needs to be installed. Not being part of the old boys club, I'll just be ignored for making a spurious and humourous suggestion. :lol:
That's what :P is supposed to mean, IIRC.
Oh sorry I missed your cop-out there.
It wasn't a cop-out.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That'd work if people used it, they don't. They make 'outrageous/contraversial/obviously rubbish/attention-grabbing suggestion' and then later say LOL OBVIOUSLY IT WAS A JOKE when nobody agrees/everyone laughs/etc. Thus, it needs to be an emoticon, so if people don't use it, they can fuck off. :)
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I do this a lot, actually, propose things I know are extreme when I can't think of anything better in hopes that someone will rebut me with a better idea, so I can learn what it is and adopt it for myself.

Skimmer can vouch for the fact that I have done this for years and it's not some sort of backpedaling.
If you’re going to invoke my name on the matter, then you can also remember that I suggested knocking it off because it is annoying, and most of the ideas are just clearly dumb. It tends to make people waste time pointing out how dumb they are, not coming up with better ones. Given the shear quantity of discussions going on right now we don’t need more obviously bad ideas.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There are even methods of stimuating discussion that aren't hijacking, time-wasting personal-involvement methods, as well. I can stimulate a discussion without making myself look like a compete idiot and derailing the thread; Zeon should try this out.

Oh and again, we need the 'oh I was joking OBVIOUSLY' emoticon. :)
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Stark wrote:Oh and again, we need the 'oh I was joking OBVIOUSLY' emoticon. :)
Question: is that not one of the many uses of the wink ( :wink: ) smiley?
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

If you’re going to invoke my name on the matter, then you can also remember that I suggested knocking it off because it is annoying, and most of the ideas are just clearly dumb. It tends to make people waste time pointing out how dumb they are, not coming up with better ones. Given the shear quantity of discussions going on right now we don’t need more obviously bad ideas.
'Touche.

I will remember that advice in the future.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Formless wrote: Question: is that not one of the many uses of the wink ( :wink: ) smiley?
That'd be fine, if we had some consensus on whatever it was and people used it as such to remove the drama-generating silliness of proposing obviously stupid retarded crap just to waste three pages of backbiting.

Zeon, you got your style and that's cool, but there's that saying about doing something for satire when you resemble it too closely. It might be unfair, but others could do it and get a laugh whereas due to your extremist history you get a much more 'she's probably serious' response, and your claims to the contrary simply look (as you note) like backpedalling.

The solution is to stop doing the thing, rather than expecting the result to be different.